C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 07:48 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it?

I know some of you have the Borla XR-1 Racing Exhaust on your cars. So how does it sound and has any one dynoed there car to see what gains you got with it, and do you have a resistance in the car from the system? The system only comes in a 2 3/4" pipe and I found out how they make that XR-1 center resonator. Such a simple but effective design. Those two pipes that enter don't just end at the wall of the resonator but pass throw the resonator and continue out the other side. They don't X in the center but the pipe has small holes, and the resonator is filled with stainless wool. If any one has a good sound clip send it to me. Thanks
Old 03-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it? (extremecorvette)

there is resonance and the drives many people away but on the 750 mile trip to BG I never had the radio on once :reddevil

Old 03-18-2003, 10:29 PM
DsC5
Race Director

I love mine. Yes, it is very loud, but it sounds great. This past weekend was gorgeous - I was cruising with the top out - went under some overpasses and revved it up => :D :D :D :D Man, it was awesome.

It can get annoying especially when cold outside - it seems the whole car can resonate at times. One day a few weeks ago I was actually annoyed with it - but that was the only time it was what I would consider unbearable. :confused:

p.s. - where did you get that info on the construction?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:19 AM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it? (DsC5)

I have been talking allot with Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Stainless Works over the last few days. I’m looking into building my own custom 3” exhaust with the same style of resonator but only bigger for my system. I’ll just make it longer to lower a few more dB. With a straight pipe muffler you really don’t loss any hp. I’ve talked with a guy how has 3 Magnaflow mufflers on each side of his exhaust and boy it’s sounds like factory, but when he hits it. It’s like nothing is there, it really opens up. I have the resources to make the system out of Titanium but my real goal is a full system all made out of Aluminum with is 60% lighter than Titanium, and Titanium is 45% lighter than T-304 Stainless. I’ll make the everything out of Aluminum even the resonator, but the filling will most likely be Steel wool, or if Magnaflow lets me buy some of there filler. If I can’t find a chemistry of Aluminum that can take the temps and being cool and heat up over and over, I’ll just make the same system like the XR-1 but out of 3” Aluminum and in front of the resonator I’ll but Titanium if I have to. With the exhaust on the corvette there is close to 8ft of pipe on each side plus two cats and two mufflers. I don’t know the exact weight of the stock system and I would like to know it but I guess I’ll just have to weigh my exhaust when I take it off. My exhaust should will be allot lighter. Aluminum 3” OD 1/8” Wall is 1.33lb/ft and I don’t know yet if I even need that thick of a wall yet, but T-304 Stainless is 3” OD 1/16” Wall is 2.37lb/ft and 1/8” Wall is 3.96lb/ft. So say I use 11ft each side 11*2*1.33 = 29.26lbs The Al resonator say it has a weight of 15lbs just a guess for a total of 44.26lbs for a total exhaust. I know you know that just your cat backs on the stock exhaust has a weight of that. If you made the same system out of stainless it would weigh 77.14lbs. Don’t quote me but I’m going to call Stainless Works and get the weight of their system and see if they know the weight of the stock exhaust also and I’ll post it.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The resonance is wearing on me, especially with the 4.10's, but the sound is awesome !
Old 03-19-2003, 10:16 AM
1996lt4
Pro

Default Re: Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it? (Duntov-097)

The resonance can be annoying at times, but the sound WOT is just amazing... intimidating if you will :yesnod:
Old 03-19-2003, 11:24 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default Re: Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it? (1996lt4)

TPIS headers, factory cats, X pipe welded in, and GHLs no resonance and loud outside too :reddevil
Old 03-19-2003, 03:56 PM
dendrizzi
Racer

I love mine!!!!!
Hey... if you want me to, I can record a video in mpeg and send you a sound clip of mine.
Just E-mail me and I will reply, and send it back to you. dendrizzi@yahoo.com
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it?

Quick Reply: Borla XR-1 Racing Exhasut How do you like it?