C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision Made - Hurst!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 08:16 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Decision Made - Hurst!

Well, i finally bit the bullet and purchased the Hurst shifter, actually put it in today and WOW, what a difference!!!! Lovin it so far.

Only concern... I had an issue before where i would put the car in gear and let up on the clutch and it would start griding the gear and kick the shifter into neutral... I just figured i wasnt pushing it all the way in gear.

Well, today it also happened to me after installing the hurst.. I was speaking to my one buddy about it and he seems to think i may need 2nd gear replaced... Any thoughts? 15k on the car now.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:13 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Decision Made - Hurst! (99firetruck)

Could be a bad synchro
Old 04-17-2003, 04:16 AM
CR555
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you master your "demon key"? Did you use my paint can openers? :D
Old 04-17-2003, 08:08 AM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Decision Made - Hurst! (CCrane00)

Could be a bad synchro
:iagree:

good luck
:cheers:
Old 04-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Check the adjustment of the shifter/shifting mechanism . I do not think it is a synchro, A bad synchro would prevent you from being able to put it in gear not grind while engaging the clutch. To rule out the synchro, try this. when going from first to second double clutch the car, that is press in the clutch 1 time during the 1st to neutral shift then let the clutch all the way out, then press the clutch in for a second time and make the shift form neutral to second. BUT if it is not grinding going into gear, it is not likely the synchro.

As for a bad 2nd gear... that is possible but not too likely if the car has not been thrashed. Again I would try the adjustment, it does not sound like it is fully engaging.. that should be easy to fix.

[Modified by Ragtop_Rob, 8:57 AM 4/17/2003]

[Modified by Ragtop_Rob, 12:05 AM 4/18/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 05:33 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Decision Made - Hurst! (Ragtop_Rob)

Yes, the Paint can tool worked like a charm, i am actually waiting for my aftermarket **** to come in (the stocker is on there at the moment) and then i can send them to whomever you please!!! THANKS alot for that!

It is a very intermittent problem and actually happens in first as well (happened twice last night and twice today)...

It did happen before the new shifter as well, but it seems worse now.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:51 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Yes, the Paint can tool worked like a charm, i am actually waiting for my aftermarket **** to come in (the stocker is on there at the moment) and then i can send them to whomever you please!!! THANKS alot for that!

It is a very intermittent problem and actually happens in first as well (happened twice last night and twice today)...

It did happen before the new shifter as well, but it seems worse now.
Double check your adjustment stops on the shifter to make sure it/they are not causing you to "short shift". If OK, then I would suggest you perform the shifter adjustment procedure. It's the same procedure for either the stocker or an aftermarket shifter.

Robert

[Modified by LoneStarFRC, 4:52 PM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 06:49 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

press in the clutch 1 time during the 1st to second shift then let the clutch all the way out, then press the clutch in for a second time and make the shift form first to second

Don't you mean first to neutral?
Old 04-17-2003, 09:41 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Decision Made - Hurst! (aaaa)

How do you perform the shifter adjustment???
Old 04-17-2003, 11:21 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

How do you perform the shifter adjustment???
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/patches//Images/Hurst Shifter/HurstSHifterInstall.shtml

Go to the above listed link. Scroll down through the pictures until you get to a picture that shows the lower factory shift mechanism WITHOUT the Hurst shifter installed yet. The picture is captioned "Mount new gasket using gasket adhesive". This photo shows the shift rod clamp bolt that you loosen in the lower right side of the photo(requires a Torx bit). The other Torx bolt(s) hold the lower shift mechanism to the drive tunnel and you don't need to do anything with them. Now, remember the little "L" shaped pin that was on the factory shifter? Now's the time to use it, or a small drill bit of the same diameter. First you need to loosen the clamp bolt as mentioned, move the shift rod forward or backwards until the little "L" shaped pin drops into the little hole you can see in the photo (near the front of the shift rod). While the pin is in the hole, the shift rod is locked and can't move. Now all's ya gotta do is re-tighten the same clamp bolt you loosened in the beginning and you're done. Note: It's not necessary to remove the shifter to do this procedure and I only chose Patches' picture because it clearly shows what I'm describing regarding the lower shift mechanism better than I can explain. Basically what you doing here is "centering" the shift mechanism in neutral, and thereby assuring that the shifter moves an equal distance in both front and rearward directions when you make a shift .Hopes that helps.

Robert

[Modified by LoneStarFRC, 10:27 PM 4/17/2003]

[Modified by LoneStarFRC, 10:28 PM 4/17/2003]

[Modified by LoneStarFRC, 10:34 PM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 11:31 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Decision Made - Hurst! (LoneStarFRC)

Kinda makes sense, i actually read that alot of people did not do this and did not have any issues.

I will do it anyway just to say i have done it, but it kinda bothers me that it happens in 1'st and 2'nd, if it was out of alignment i would think it would only happen on either the 1-3-5 side or the 2-4-6.

I find myself pushing the shifter HARD into first befor starting out and sometimes i can feel it kinda click into gear with force where other times it just goes in the first time. (kinda hard to explain.)

Thanks for all the reply's... Looks like i have a project for tomorrow or saturday.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:38 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

I think I know what you mean about the "feel" of it. Sorry, I can't seem to get Patches' link to go right. I did a quick search using Hurst Shifter Install and looked in archived section to come up with several threads on Hurst installs. One of the threads has Patches' reply to someone and he includes his link.

Robert
Old 04-18-2003, 03:11 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I had no problems with the Hurst install, but I have had the dealer work on the transmission twice. The first time it was popping out of 1st, 3rd, and 5th at about 1500 miles. Later, around 18K miles, they had to install new synchros when it was grinding while going into 5th around 70 mph.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:31 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Well,

I put the shifter in neutral and the pin went in the adjustment hole with a little force (pin was a little rusty, should have sanded it a little first but oh well) but it did go in and the shifter appears to be aligned fine.

I put my new **** on and i am being a little more aware of my shifts and it seems to be ok (Watch it act up on my way home tonight)...

Maybe it is just me getting used to it? I dunno.. I find my self over concerned just because it is a 30+k used car - as opposed to my 4k honda i used to have, as long as that started i did not care what it did :D

Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-2003, 02:15 AM
jmzvet
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I installed my Hurst. I removed both stops and have no problems at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Decision Made - Hurst!

Quick Reply: Decision Made - Hurst!