C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 12:05 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ??

i've been thinking about upgrading my exhaust for a while now. last night, i evev had a dream about it. so, i think i need to go ahead and do it now. in my dream, i had LG Motorsports long tubes with electric cutouts and SLP Loudmouth exhaust. that sounds like a pretty sweet package, but is it the best bang for the buck? i have the $ to get the package mentioned above, but then i would have to wait longer for my next stage (upgraded heads and cam or TT or SC). what do you think? go with Stainless Works LTs, used Loudmouth (you see them all the time in For Sale section), and electric cutouts from FLP? also, if there are any vendors reading who would like to offer me a package deal on everything (headers, loudmouth, elec cutouts, x pipe, etc), then feel free to post or email me directly.

note that i currently have BB shorties and Borla XR1, so i am dead set on some nasty long tubes and Loudmouth (i hear it all the time on my buddies C5).

thanks,
ken
Old 04-29-2003, 01:06 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (tattooed)

btw, a couple of additional questions:

1. anybody have this setup? or something similar?

2. i'm curious - what are cutouts going to sound like before i upgrade to stage2 heads and a really lumpy cam?

3. will there be any problems with clearance/installation of electric cutouts when using LGM longtubes or FLP longtubes? are the headers too long? where should the cutouts be placed?

thanks,
ken
Old 04-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (tattooed)

I would put the dumps after the 3" x-pipe as far back as possible. We have done several "off road" setups where we do turn down pipes after the x-pipe, and they sound absoltely wicked. This is the same setup we did on Don Cambells World Challenge C5 this weekend and it was absolutely defeaning at 7000 RPM. I had to wear gun range ear plugs and mickey mouse ears. :crazy:

[Modified by Godspeed, 12:35 PM 4/29/2003]
Old 04-29-2003, 01:52 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (Godspeed)

I would put the dumps after the 3" x-pipe as far back as possible. We have done several "off road" setups where we do turn down pipes after the x-pipe, and they sound absoltely wicked. This is the same setup we did on Don Cambells World Challenge C5 this weekend and it was absolutely defeaning at 7000 RPM. I had to wear gun range ear plugs and mickey mouse ears. :crazy:
heheh. that's *exactly* what i want. i never really liked my neighbors anyway.

thanks for the info.

doesn't it kind of half defeat the purpose of cutouts/dumps by putting them so far back AFTER the x-pipe? i though most people installed them right after the headers - either in place of or in front of cats. of course, with this setup, i always wondered about exhaust fumes in the cabin too.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:22 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

What's the point of having cutouts and no mufflers?....cutouts are used to have a quiet exhaust system but be able to let it roar when you want.....slp's roar all the time....seems to defeat the purpose of the cutouts to me....Tom
Old 04-29-2003, 03:24 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (SR71)

i thought about that too. but, i have seen alot of cars with such a setup. i have not really gotten a chance to gauge differences in sound though. is it even worth adding cutouts if you have a non-muffled exhaust system?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:32 PM

We use 3" dumps after the x-pipe (just before the exhuast starts to "Y") on the LGM LT's - do not try this at home - it sounds best on a race track with no fixed objects around. Just starting up will send most folks running, near WOT will cause physical pain IN the car without earplugs (even with a helmet on) Not as loud as the trans am car though :lol:

I have some quiet dumps using 18" -3"ID dynomax bullets which make it much more civil, but stil strong and deep at WOT. rfgoss' car with no cats and Borla stingers sounded beautiful (before the big block - it's better now). That to me is the ideal street combo - light weight and great note.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (ASP Z)

. Just starting up will send most folks running, near WOT will cause physical pain IN the car without earplugs (even with a helmet on) Not as loud as the trans am car though
I can attest to this as I did 30+ pulls in Stan's car on the dyno. BTW he forgot to mention it made 390RWHP with just an airbox, headers, and tuning on a stock 2001 Z06. :yesnod:
Old 04-29-2003, 05:21 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

heheh. that's *exactly* what i want. i never really liked my neighbors anyway.
:lolg: :lolg: I rent so to ...... with them :jester
Old 04-29-2003, 10:44 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

note that i currently have BB shorties and Borla XR1, so i am dead set on some nasty long tubes and Loudmouth (i hear it all the time on my buddies C5).

thanks,
ken
Thanks for the compliment sugar britches :lol: **** on the Loudmouth, just do the LG'S going to 3" axle over pipes and B abd B speedway tips :thumbs:
Thats my perfect straight pipe scenario :flag

[Modified by JoeyG, 9:45 PM 4/29/2003]
Old 04-30-2003, 12:19 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (JoeyG)

Thanks for the compliment sugar britches :lol: **** on the Loudmouth, just do the LG'S going to 3" axle over pipes and B abd B speedway tips :thumbs:
Thats my perfect straight pipe scenario :flag
good idea. but who around here is competent enough to do custom pipe work? or where should i go?
Old 04-30-2003, 09:11 AM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Cutouts are a waist of money, unless you car has been radically mod'ed. You're actually going to loose quite a bit of torque with a cutout. You need some back pressure in your exhaust to keep the unburned gases from exiting your combustion chamber on valve overlap.

While they sound cool, I just don't think it would be a worth-while investment.

Old 04-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (JR_VETTE)

Cutouts are a waist of money, unless you car has been radically mod'ed. You're actually going to loose quite a bit of torque with a cutout. You need some back pressure in your exhaust to keep the unburned gases from exiting your combustion chamber on valve overlap.
Can you post some dyno graphs supporting that?
Old 04-30-2003, 12:35 PM

Default Re: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ?? (Godspeed)

The full exhaust on our car made almost the same torque - but still 6-7ft/lbs less, but hurt hp by a significant amount, 10-15hp at the top end - around 375rwhp/386ft/lbs. The dumps may have shifted the torque curve slightly higher, but the LT's and tuning helped compensate for that nicely. If it made more torque, we'd be running it :iagree:

Now 3" over the axles might be the answer (stainless works has them now).... best of all worlds, length and flow :crazy: just takes time and money to find out.... both always seem to be in limited supply.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:49 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Tattoed, if you want the Nasty...here it is. Loudmouth with LT's and no cats with heads, cam and intake. My car sounds like Rusty Wallace is coming down the street with a nice lope at idle and a deep rumble at cruise. Yes, it is an M6 so it helps me control the interior noise...heck I don't care. But now, it sounds and runs like it have some *****....11.03 @124 with junk for DR's. :mad

Get notified of new replies

To [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ??

Quick Reply: [ultimate NASTY exhaust?] LGM LTs + Elec Cutouts + SLP LM ??