C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:36 PM
KAH_BigRedCorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using?

Guys & Ladies,

I'm using the blue Purolator Pure One and Mobil 5w/30. Is all the hype about it not flowing well (to the point that it causes wear/oil starvation) substantiated through any independent testing? I've read Bob The Oil Guy's threads, where he tested filters. It didn't indicate whether the difference between the flow rates in his tests meant anything from a statistically significant difference in wear.

So far, so good. My oil pressure goes where it should be when I start up, no sounds that I can hear, and the oil obviously is doing a good job.

I can get the Pure One at any Pep Boys, it has synthetic media, and supposedly filters well. The Mobil 1, K&N, and Delco PF44s are others I've considered. The Mobil 1 is expensive as I'd imagine since it is a Mobil 1, but can be had for less at certain times when you get several quarts of oil in an oil change special.

I'll pay more for an oil filter if there is a significant difference in engine protection. Any thoughts? I'm not a Fram user, as I haven't seen anyone say anything good about them in recent years.

Back in the day (the late 80s maybe), it seemed that Frams were popular. Maybe it was all the "Pay Now or Pay Later" commercials.

Hmmm? :confused:

Regards,

Karl
Old 06-05-2003, 07:56 PM
bandit_99
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using? (KAH_BigRedCorvette)

**edit post. misunderstood. I M dUm.
:thumbs:

[Modified by bandit_99, 11:25 PM 6/6/2003]
Old 06-06-2003, 01:15 AM
KAH_BigRedCorvette
Instructor

Default Re: Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using? (bandit_99)

Bandit,

I wasn't clear, not concerned about the cost of Mobil 1 oil--a proven product. I just don't know why their oil filters cost so much. In other words, compared to say a Purolator, AC, etc.

Sometimes the Mobil 1 oil filters are available for less packaged with several quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic--an oil change kit or something.

I don't want to skimp on maintenance of my Vette, but don't know the big deal about some oil filters even after reading the many postings.

Thanks,

Karl
Old 06-06-2003, 06:13 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Karl,

Like Patman, I am a member of the other oil forum as well. Excellent technical information over there. What started all of this was a test Bob had done with a Mobil-1 filter and a good synthetic oil and a Fram filter and an OK dino oil. The results from the Dino/Fram combination were better then the Mobil-1 when the oil was analyzed. After scrubbing all the theories on why this happened, the hypothesis was that there is a trade-off between filtering ability and flow rate and that maybe the best filtering ability is not necessarily the best for the motor. I ran a Mobil-1 filter on my first change and was subsequently told to get rid of it by the oil analysis consultant as he felt it was the cause of some of the higher levels in my oil. I am now running the Delco Gold UPF44. I will know how things went next fall when this second batch is analyzed.

Until Bob finished his testing and the filtering ability/flow rate issues has some firm technical information, the jury is still out. I think the argument has merit and in the end we may find that some of the "not so premium" filters are actually better for you car. I know there has been pretty good success with the Wal Mart Tech 2000 filter as well as the Wix. These are not premium filters.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:59 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it is o-kay http://www.amsoil.com/products/sdf.html
Old 06-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Sabby
Advanced

Default Re: Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using? (IMQUIK)

Puralotor is an OEM maunfacturer. The Pure One is better than thier regular filters and worth the extra change.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:26 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Re: Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using? (Sabby)

________________________________________ ________________________
Puralotor is an OEM maunfacturer. The Pure One is better than thier regular filters and worth the extra change.
________________________________________ ________________________ I use the Purolator filter in all three of my vehicles:
!989 S-10 Blazer............162,000 miles (change every 3,500 miles)
1992 Buich Park Ave.......106,000 miles (change every 3,500 miles)
1998 6 spd coupe............ 75,000 miles (change filter every 2,500 miles,
change mobil 1 every 5,000
miles)

Get notified of new replies

To Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using?

Quick Reply: Purolator Pure One--Am I the only one using?