C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 08:24 AM
batsallover
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION????

I have been occasionally getting a "service vehicle soon" light on my Vert which can be reset. The first time it happened was over a year ago and I scanned for the code on the DIC and got:

C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION

It is now happening 3-4 times a week, but I am still able to reset the code. :nonod: I looked at the service manual and the steering sensor is in a PITA location on the steering shaft. :nonod:

I don't have active handling, just traction control.

Any C5 techs or Forum members have any advice regarding this code?
:confused:

Help

[Modified by batsallover, 11:27 AM 6/10/2003]
Old 06-10-2003, 10:09 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION???? (batsallover)

Looks like the Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) is disabled by the EBCM when this DTC is set.

Is the DIC message: "Service Active Handling" ?

As you have the service manual, the diagnostic checklist looks pretty straightforward but you need a scan tool. You're right, those components look like they are in some PITA locations. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:39 AM
batsallover
Le Mans Master

Default Re: DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION???? (mapman)

Looks like the Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) is disabled by the EBCM when this DTC is set.

Is the DIC message: "Service Active Handling" ?
Fortunately, I do not have active handling and just traction control. I say fortunately because it would probably be another expensive electrical gremlin to deal with in the future. :nonod:
I love Corvettes and love my Vert but something like this is disheartening. :sad:
Old 06-10-2003, 09:50 PM
batsallover
Le Mans Master

Default Re: DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION???? (batsallover)

ttt

:confused:
Old 06-10-2003, 11:34 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Time for a new steering position sensor (unless of course the steering shaft was disconnected for some reason and reinstalled 180 degrees out) :yesnod:
Replacement requires removing the column,as the sensor is at the base of the column...Common problem :yesnod:
Old 06-11-2003, 07:38 AM
batsallover
Le Mans Master

Default Re: DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION???? (C-5 TECH)

Time for a new steering position sensor (unless of course the steering shaft was disconnected for some reason and reinstalled 180 degrees out) :yesnod:
Replacement requires removing the column,as the sensor is at the base of the column...Common problem :yesnod:
Thank you for the reply. With the service manuals, can this be a DIY job or should I bring it to the dealer? And if I do bring it to the dealer, what should I expect to pay? :eek:
Old 06-11-2003, 08:41 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The biggest PITA is disconnecting the intermidiate shaft from the column under the hood.The knuckle is clamped and requires spreading the clamp with a prybar and a hammer to get the knuckle off the steering shaft...After that,it is simple as removing the lower dash trim pad,disconnecting all the wiring connectors at the base of the column,disconnecting the steering position sensor harness,then unbolting the 4 column retaining nuts,and then sliding the column out (If you have telescopic,the column is a real PITA to slide out)...The sensor slides off the base of the column after the dust cover is removed (the sensor has a pin to index it on the column shaft)...Special care needs to be taken not to rotate the steering wheel at any time or the steering sensor and air bag coil will be out of synch when the column is reinstalled...

Book labor time is about 2.5 labor hours :yesnod:
Old 06-11-2003, 08:55 PM
batsallover
Le Mans Master

Default Re: DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION???? (C-5 TECH)

The biggest PITA is disconnecting the intermidiate shaft from the column under the hood.The knuckle is clamped and requires spreading the clamp with a prybar and a hammer to get the knuckle off the steering shaft...After that,it is simple as removing the lower dash trim pad,disconnecting all the wiring connectors at the base of the column,disconnecting the steering position sensor harness,then unbolting the 4 column retaining nuts,and then sliding the column out (If you have telescopic,the column is a real PITA to slide out)...The sensor slides off the base of the column after the dust cover is removed (the sensor has a pin to index it on the column shaft)...Special care needs to be taken not to rotate the steering wheel at any time or the steering sensor and air bag coil will be out of synch when the column is reinstalled...

Book labor time is about 2.5 labor hours :yesnod:
Thank you very much. You make the Forum an awesome place to be. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION????

Quick Reply: DIC CODE C1281 - STEERING SENSOR UNCORRELATED MALFUNCTION????