C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 02:53 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ??

I have a "klunk" in my left front suspension on my 01 Coupe. The noise happens only when making a sharp left hand turn at low speed - 2-3 MPH. The noise happens at approximately 90% of full lock on the steering. It only happens once during the turn, and cycling the steering can not make it happen again. I have checked the entire suspension, spring, shock, brake setup and can not find anything out of the ordinary. I even checked all the body panel mountings and engine accessory mounts etc. Anybody got any ideas??
Old 06-15-2003, 03:38 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Default Re: Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ?? (CHJ In Virginia)

Same thing with my 01. I have been over it again and again and cannot find anything. Mine does not do it every time but, 1 out of every 8 or so. Just been living with it for the last 6 months.

Bob
Old 06-15-2003, 03:44 PM
nevrenuf
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Edit Guru
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ?? (CHJ In Virginia)

Not all that uncommon.. typical problems are loose sway bar links or upper shock mounting hardware.. Is your suspension stock??
Old 06-15-2003, 03:51 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Default Re: Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ?? (nevrenuf)

Tom.... my suspension is stock. Next week I will be changing over to a new shock design for some R&D. Hopefully you are right and the clunk will be gone from my car.

Bob
Old 06-15-2003, 05:53 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ?? (16Again)

Have you had the engine dropped out of your car for a re-ring? Mine does the same thing. I retorque all of the front and rear crossmember nuts to 81 ft-lbs (the front 2 nuts are hard to get to with a torque wrench so I just cranked down on them with a wrench) Then its fine for a week or so, then the noise comes back. I retorque the nuts again. Half of them have come loose and I get 1/4 turn out of the torque wrench before it clicks.

These nuts must be replaced when they are removed. So if you had a re-ring they may have had to remove these nuts up front to drop the engine. The rear bolts may have been removed for tranny work. My car has had both the tranny and the engine out for warranty work.

I took the car in for some other warranty work and the tech claims that they where not loose and they did not need to be replaced at this time. Of course they never claimed that they where or where not replaced when they where removed. Of course the noise has went away when I got the car back for about a week or so. So my guess is the tech had retorqued the nuts instead of replacing them. So now they are getting loose again.

Guess I'll just go and buy the freakin' nuts and replace them myself. :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ??

Quick Reply: Front Suspension "Klunk" During Low Speed Sharp Turn - Ideas Why ??