C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 02:46 AM
TOPSPD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!!

I've experienced a few issues with the car as a result of my move from Dallas to Colorado Springs.

1. I've had my gas gauge go bezerk twice due to the sulfur content of the fuel here. I've read all the disappointing posts about GM playing hardball on this with the '02's, so I've got a can of BG 44k in the tank hoping that remedies the problem.

2. What's up with the octane out here? I realize that altitude has a little to do here, but the 2-3 points reduction in octane is making my engine feel like it's on Xanax. How is it that gas stations can continue to charge the same amount for a poorer quality of gasoline? It pisses me off to pay $1.70 - 1.80 for supreme that's only 90 or 91 octane (as opposed to the 93-94 in Texas). :cuss Does anyone know if there is any regulation to this? I mean it seems that any gas station could carry a 80 octane and sell an 84 as "supreme"? What gives?

Lastly, would resetting the PCM solve any of these issues for the interim. Or possibly tuning? Does the timing need to be manually retarded? Or should I start looking for a chem shop to buy some toluene/xylene?

Anyone here in the Colo area running a SC? What are you guys doing for octane?

Any info appreciated.

Driving slower for the meantime?

TOPSPD :seeya (considering changing name to thirsty for octane) :p:
Old 06-25-2003, 07:52 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Default Re: New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!! (TOPSPD)

The octane of the gas here is not what is causing your performance loss. It is the air density, or more accurately the lack of air density. There is approximately 3psi less air pressure here than there is at sea level plus there is less oxygen content. Your car has less cylinder pressure so therefore it needs less octane. If you really want more octane you’ll need to go to Lanier’s downtown and buy some Sunoco unleaded race gas.

As for price, I’ve been wondering about that one for years.

There are several people here running superchargers, myself included. We all run the 91 octane that is sold at the pump.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:31 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Default Re: New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!! (VortechC5)

Ya, it's the air density that's hurting you. The 91 octane works fine at this altitude, (I am at 6,000 feet here in Albuquerque :seeya and running 11.4:1 truck heads and 31 degrees of timing, no knock!). Tuning for the altitude will help, forced induction, or incresed compression will gain back power. :chevy
Old 06-25-2003, 10:21 AM
TOPSPD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!! (VortechC5)

VortechC5,

I'd love to see your car sometime. I've been dying to ride in a SC'd vette.
Who did your install? Any reputable tuners out here?

My next mods will have to get into the engine to recoup some of my lost power.

Thanks for chiming in...

TOPSPD
Old 06-25-2003, 08:10 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Default Re: New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!! (TOPSPD)

I did the installation myself and had Xtreme in Tempe tune it. I only know of one tuner in town. He seems to do good work and can do neads/cam and/or supercharger installations.

We'll hook up some time and I'll give you a ride. There is one other person in town that I know of with a supercharged C5.

[Modified by VortechC5, 6:27 PM 6/25/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!!

Quick Reply: New location, poor octane levels, higher altitude = decreased performance!!