C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot temps??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 12:28 PM
abraham
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hot temps??

Could some one run through the basics on why my car is overheating. I have a heads(stage 1 are)and cam, with underdrive pully, zo6 intake, haltech bottom breather, long tube headers, exhaust, bla bla bla. ARE did all the work(not blaming them or anything just letting you know that is was professionaly done)Last year the car ran hot but it is running even hotter this year. on a hot day(90 +) the oil will get to 250(I've seen 269) with normal driving (not going over around 2500 or so rpm's)Oh yea I have an automatic with a 2400 converter. Coolant is usually around 10 degrees lower when moving. It sees about 240, 250 and even hotter . I cant even use the ac or the car will over heat in about a half an hour. I assume I need a bigger radiator, if so whats a good one. any other suggestions. Probably a oil cooler? But why is it running hot(or why does a built engine run hotter) and why is it running even hotter this year. Oh yea I also have a cooler t-stat. and the fan comes on at around 170(I am guessing(this is all from memory from last year)). Both fans are working and I hosed out the radiator. Actually I had some threads on this last year. Dont know if they are archived or not. Any help/suggestions muchly appreciated.

[Modified by abraham, 11:29 AM 7/5/2003]

[Modified by abraham, 11:31 AM 7/5/2003]
Old 07-06-2003, 10:16 PM
abraham
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hot temps?? (abraham)

ttt
Old 07-06-2003, 10:48 PM
LS1NUT
Advanced

my car is identical to yours i have every mod you have and yesterday I was in traffic with the ac on and my car went to 240 maybe the pully causes the the water pump to turn slower which makes the water circulation less once I start driving the temp goes down to 218
Old 07-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

there must be ten threads going right now on this subject...here and in c5 general
Old 07-07-2003, 12:40 AM
6500RPM
Racer

Try checking your coolant mixture. I had the same problem a while back and I had too much coolant and not enough water. The best mixture for the summer is 80% purified water, 20% coolant, and last but definately not least, two bottles of Red Line Water Wetter. With this combo I'm sure your temps will drop.
:cheers:
Old 07-07-2003, 09:27 AM
abraham
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hot temps?? (LS1NUT)

Hey ls1nut. Have you ever taken your car to the track. Just wondering what kind of times you ran. I have yet to get mine out there yet. I put in 1 bottle of water wetter and a little water(whatever would fit without draining any) and noticed a little difference already. I still got up to clost to 240 but only after a few hours of driving. Took a little longer to heat up. Also it was only 85 and not 95 which is a big difference.
Also I am aware how many threads are out there on this subject. I have read all them. The more the marrier in my opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot temps??

Quick Reply: Hot temps??