C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strapping in tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 11:16 PM
C5+ZR1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strapping in tire pressure sensors

I was thinking about buying a set of the new HRE 840R series wheels for my wife's 2002 C5, and when I talked to HRE they told me that those wheels won't accept a normal installation of the GM tire pressure sensor. Their solution was to strap it into the inside of the wheel (valve stem, sensor, and all) and run conventional valve stems. I don't know; it seems to me for about $1,200-1,300 per wheel, a high end manufacturer would have a better solution than that (like machining the inner so the stock sensor would fit). But I have a more fundamental question: the stock sensors incorporate the valve stem, and mount as part of the valve stem inside the wheel. To reprogram, GM offers a special magnet (which I have), which fits right over the valve stem directly across from the sensor. My concern is that if you have the sensor strapped up someplace inside the wheel, is the magnet strong enough (assuming you know where the sensor is strapped in) that it will penetrate the rim and provide the necessary input for reprogramming the sensors? I've heard of other people strapping in sensors, but I've never heard if they were successful, using the GM magnet, in resetting the program for them. Any experience out there?

Still, it's kind of a negative in my book that $300 Taiwan aftermarket repros can mount the stock sensor but these VERY high priced wheels can't seem to make provision for that without this very amateurish solution to retaining the sensors.

Thanks for any shared experience on this.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:25 PM
minivette
Racer

Default Re: Strapping in tire pressure sensors (C5+ZR1)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=593188
Old 07-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Well, you want the R series for the look, and with that look you sacrifice the normal valvestem hole. It doesn't much matter how much the wheels cost, it's a matter of physics. If you can't accept the alternate mounting of the sensors, then don't get the R series and be content with a wheel that doesn't have the lip and doesn't look as good. It comes down to which you value more.

As for the training of the sensors, aluminum is non-magnetic, so the magnet sees it the same as it does air, and holding the magnet on the inside of the wheel where the sensor is located will work. I don't know what or how large the GM magnet is, the one I used weighed a couple lbs and it worked fine.

If you decide to go with this method of mounting, use a high strength epoxy as the primary form of attaching the sensor to the wheel. If you just use a band clamp and nothing else, it may likely work loose over time. Some people have just used the epoxy and no clamp at all. I have mine both epoxied and clamped and going on 5k miles with no problems. You also need to cut the stem off the sensor, as the sensor won't lay flat on the wheel otherwise.

:cheers:

[Modified by Y2Kvert4me, 4:32 AM 7/4/2003]
Old 07-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Lawmagnet
Instructor

Default Re: Strapping in tire pressure sensors (Y2Kvert4me)

I used epoxy only for my sensor install and no problems....
Old 07-04-2003, 12:06 AM
C5+ZR1
Advanced

Your magnet was a couple of POUNDS? Wow. The GM magnet is about 3-4 ounces. Where did you get that (in case I need it)? Anyhow, thanks for the advice.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I just grabbed one that was laying around the shop at work. If you have an old speaker, the magnet on that would work too. Otherwise the local hardware store will have the good ole U-shaped magnets in varying sizes.

:cheers:

[Modified by Y2Kvert4me, 5:14 AM 7/4/2003]
Old 07-04-2003, 09:48 PM
MY2KC5
Instructor

My wheels from CCW have the sensors strapped in place. Have had not one problem and as far as ballancing goes that too was no problem.

Go for it!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Soldiervette
Instructor

any 8-10 oz car spekers will do the job
friend of mine use heavy duty instant glue to glue the sensors np so far Good luck :flag
Old 07-07-2003, 11:16 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Why not program/train the sensors before you mount them on the wheel ?

Get notified of new replies

To Strapping in tire pressure sensors

Quick Reply: Strapping in tire pressure sensors