C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech PPIII Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 10:43 AM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hypertech PPIII Problem

Anyone ever have a trans problem after programming the shift firmness with a PPIII. I have a 99 A4 and I've been using my PPIII for 6 months with no problems. On June 27th I had a new rear installed, (3.42). I reprogrammed for the changes and came up with two problems. I selected the setting for changed rear end, 3.42, then it asked for tire height, I measured the rear tire and entered 26". All other setting were kept the same. When I took the car out I noticed the speedometer was running slower than actual speed. I had a friend, a Police officer, check my speed with radar, at 30 mph I was actually doing 38 mph and at 60 mph I was doing 74 mph. On the way back the trans. started to shift extremely hard in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift cycle. I check for codes and found this, PMC -- P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping.

I reprogrammed for stock rear, 2.73 and the trans. to factory shift firmness. Speedometer was correct and trans. was fine. Reprogrammed back to 3.42 gears and shift firmness 75%, same two problems occurred as before. Reprogrammed to stock setting, all was ok again. Reprogrammed trans. to 50% firmness same thing again, after short ride P1870 code and real hard shift. Returned to stock setting.

I just returned from Ohio, put on 1047 miles and no problem with the trans. in the stock mode . :confused: :confused:

:cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 05:28 PM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Hypertech PPIII Problem (budmont)

HpyerTech will not correct for your 3:42 gear properly. The P1870 you will get with the 3:42 periodically until you go with correct gear scaling from LS1 Edit. After I upgraded to 3:42's it was very obvious that it was time for LS1 Edit.

You can seach the archives here for P1870 to read all the threads concerning the 3:42, HPP3, and tuning.

Quick Reply: Hypertech PPIII Problem