C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Crispyc21
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top?

There has been a lot of discussion about the Optima batteries. People seem to use both the yellow and red top ones. Some state conflicting information about the red top being either rechargable for not. I am going to replace mine this weekend. So my question is this..
Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:16 PM
woosch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top? (Crispyc21)

My understanding is that the yellow is a deep cycle battery better for things that don't get driven much or have huge stereo's..

The red is better for everyday driving.

Saying that, I've had a red top in my car for over a year and never had a problem with it.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top? (Crispyc21)

Redtop is rechargeable. Redtop is what Optima calls a Starter battery. It's a standard replacement for the stock battery that comes in the vette. The Yellowtop is a deep cycle battery meant for recovery from longer periods of non-use and owners of more powerful aftermarket stereos.

You can read about the various Optimas and their applications at the link below.
http://optimabatterystore.com/wcshop/index.htm?

[Modified by Patches, 1:20 PM 7/10/2003]
Old 07-10-2003, 01:20 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yellow, of course. ;)
Old 07-12-2003, 06:16 PM
wt2ga
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red at COSTCO for $99
Old 07-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Bill C
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top? (wt2ga)

The Red one has more CCA than the yellow one, and the Red Top has a 24mo. free replacement. The Yellow Top has a 12mo free replacement, then prorate starts. Red Top is the way to go. Both hold a charge alot longer than a regular battery. They both will hold a charge for two years with no drain on them.

Bill
Old 07-12-2003, 09:25 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top? (Bill C)

I had a yellow in my car in Pa. After not starting for 4 cold days, it would't start. Even the stock battery never did that. I do not remember the numbers but yellow CCA's are pretty low. Maybe it was a bad one. Anyways I called LAPD and sent it back and got a red top. No more problem. As said above check Optima site. Lots about it here look at search. :chevy ;)
Old 07-12-2003, 09:42 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top? (skip89)

I bought my Yellow top two years ago and it has more CCA then the Delco AGM. It works great and have not had any trouble with it. The chief advantage of a deep cycle battery over a standard cycle battery is its ability to survive high discharges and still come back to life. The std cycle battery may only survive a few deep discharges before it is permanently damaged. If you do not expect to risk a total discharge of your battery, then the red top will do just fine. However, if you have many perpherals on your vette and store it for long periods without using a trickle charger you may damage a std cycle battery like the red top and this could be costly. I am happy with my decision...

[Modified by shockwave, 9:44 PM 7/12/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top?

Quick Reply: Which is better for a daily driver Optima Yellow or Red top?