C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo shift kit question...

Old 07-24-2003, 11:58 AM
SilverC5inOhio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo shift kit question...

I am having 3.42's and a Yank SY3500 installed in a few weeks. I also purchased a Transgo shift kit and am debating with my installer as to if it is needed. He believes firming up the shifts in the PCM is all that is needed. I differ and here is my argument as stated in an article I read ->

Shift firmness is internal transmission line pressure and that's what these devices control too. They can firm up the shifts, but not speed them up. My question is why bother? The PCM gives you maximum shift firmness at wide open throttle (WOT) anyway which is really the only time you need the boost. These devices fool the transmission into thinking you are at WOT no matter what speed you are at and thus give full firmness at lower speeds. This means nothing and doesn't help performance. It merely makes your butt feel like your car is going quicker at lower speeds than it really is. Useless for performance, donut waste your money if that is what you are going for. What you want to do is to speed up your shifts. When a transmission shifts gears it remains in two gears at once for a short time to give smoothness to the shifts. This has two downsides though, it increases wear and slows you down. The only way to speed up your shifts is to add a real shift kit. This involves removing the transmission pan and the valve body to install new springs, *****, gaskets, plates, etc. This is the only way to go if you want to beef your transmission up for better performance. The only company I would think of getting a shift kit from is TransGo. They are the best and I have never seen a reason to switch brands. This is a great thing to do to any automatic regardless of other modifications. You will experience crisper shifts, lower transmission temperatures, and a faster car.

Now... If I do install the Transgo (level 2 for the street I'm guessing), should I also firm up the shifts in the PCM when adjusting the shift points or just install the Transgo and leave the firmness as is? :cheers:
Old 07-24-2003, 01:37 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Transgo shift kit question... (SilverC5inOhio)

I'd be interested as well.
Also, does the transgo increase the line pressure to increase firmness?

Is "firmness" the same as torque management?

...GeorgeC
Old 07-24-2003, 02:34 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

You missed one. Transgo will let you set shift speed by gear. I used one shim and drilled .150 for A(3rd) and .150 for E(4th). Used their #s for the rest. This evened out shift speeds so all gears feel about the same at WOT.
With this method you still can firm or soften, by adjusting by TP,if you like.

[Modified by jfpilla, 2:36 PM 7/24/2003]
Old 07-24-2003, 03:33 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

FWIW .... The bottom line is without the installation of the Transgo shift kit you WILL be disapointed in the performance of the newly installed gears and T/C...!! You also should have the PCM programmed to DELETE the TMS(Torque Management Sytem).. :yesnod:

I've been the biggest fan of this mod on the forum simply because....IT WORKS!! You will be able to downshift AND upshift ...AT WILL! You will be able to hold the gear as long as you wish and the shifts are crisp and quick..scary quick! DO IT!!! :smash:

There is no programmming that will duplicate the response of the Transgo installation..My best advice is to find a competant Transmission technician to install it. It takes about 3-5 hours and the cost of the install is $160-$200 depending on the trans tech. Enjoy..smiles guaranteed!!!:D
Old 07-24-2003, 03:45 PM
jawski
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transgo shift kit question... (vstella)

You will not need to firm up the shifts with the PCM. Transgo does it mechanically with bigger springs, different slide valve shapes, larger orifices..............the PCM does it hydraulically (fluid pressure)

Old 07-24-2003, 05:20 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Transgo shift kit question... (jawski)

I agree with Vince, but will go one further.....if you DO the Transgo, absolutley do NOT PCM program the line pressure more than 15-20% over stock! 3 burnned up trannies later we figured this out. The Transgo does a great job, but add the programing on top of it and you will see 2-3 clutch failures from excessive line pressure spikes causing momentary seal failure and glazing/burning of the 2-3 clutch pak. :cheers:
Old 07-24-2003, 05:21 PM
reddon
Instructor

The Transgo will give you a much quicker shift and will spin the wheels. Do not increse the line preasure as that will shorten the life of he transmission. I had steve cole do the programing before I had the transgo and the difference with the transgo is extreme. :D
Old 07-24-2003, 05:25 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Default Re: Transgo shift kit question... (reddon)

Go for it!!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:53 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

http://www.transgoperformance.com/faq.html
Suggest you go to the Transgo link and get the staight scoop
Old 07-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Purerock105
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

"Sloppy" is the word that best describes 3.42's and a SY3500 WITHOUT the TransGo. I heard that plenty from people when this mod was really starting
to take off. I have the exact set-up you speak of. 3.42/SY3500 and the
Transgo. The shifts are spectacular at WOT, but yet just as normal as stock
when cruising normal in the city and/or on the highway.

Do you want 'neck-snapping shifts(which can be varied by the spacers) or
ho-hum shifts...?

:cheers:
Old 07-25-2003, 09:35 AM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Transgo shift kit question... (Purerock105)

Hey Mark, are you bringing that beast down to the Challenge tommorrow? :D
Old 07-25-2003, 10:05 AM
steveC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

FWIW .... The bottom line is without the installation of the Transgo shift kit you WILL be disapointed in the performance of the newly installed gears and T/C...!! You also should have the PCM programmed to DELETE the TMS(Torque Management Sytem).. :yesnod:

I've been the biggest fan of this mod on the forum simply because....IT WORKS!! You will be able to downshift AND upshift ...AT WILL! You will be able to hold the gear as long as you wish and the shifts are crisp and quick..scary quick! DO IT!!! :smash:

There is no programmming that will duplicate the response of the Transgo installation..My best advice is to find a competant Transmission technician to install it. It takes about 3-5 hours and the cost of the install is $160-$200 depending on the trans tech. Enjoy..smiles guaranteed!!!:D
Vstella,

Could you please explain about shifting at will a little better? Is down shifting simply selecting your gear on the shifter or do you leave it in drive with buttons to control the shifting. I've always been confused on how one holds the gear with the kit vs. just leaving it in gear (as in leaving it in 2 to stay in 2nd and up it to 3 to shift to third, etc.) I guess I'm asking how the shift-kit changes your ability to control the gears yourself (or maybe im just a dummy :D )

:cheers:
Old 07-25-2003, 10:30 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Transgo shift kit question... (steveC5)

Could you please explain about shifting at will a little better? I guess I'm asking how the shift-kit changes your ability to control the gears yourself (or maybe im just a dummy :D ) steveC5 :cheers:
No problem..:D You will be able to shift down and up by just moving the shift lever accordingly. For instance...At a stoplight you can start in 1...drive to the desired rpm and shift into 2..drive along and shift to 3..come to a corner to turn downshift to 2....accelerate and shift to 3...and so on..At WILL.! ...AND you can hold the gear as long as is appropriate for that driving condition. You literally willbe able to drive the car as if you had a manual. ..Alot of fun and a new experience !!

If your going to go WOT..I will warn you that wheelspin IS an issue in 1 -2 shift ...and be ready for that 10 ft chirp..It's a kick in the butt for sure.

The Transgo is by far the best bang for the buck mod for the A4 ....PERIOD!

Enjoy..:D

[Modified by vstella, 10:31 AM 7/25/2003]
Old 07-25-2003, 11:50 AM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Vince, are we going to see you this Sat?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:42 PM
jawski
Burning Brakes

[/QUOTE]

If your going to go WOT..I will warn you that wheelspin IS an issue in 1 -2 shift ...and be ready for that 10 ft chirp..It's a kick in the butt for sure.

The Transgo is by far the best bang for the buck mod for the A4 ....PERIOD!
[/QUOTE]

:yesnod: :thumbs: or you can leave run in automatic
Old 07-25-2003, 07:37 PM
SilverC5inOhio
Racer

Thanks for the info guys! I'd like to respond individually to your posts (and also bump this thread back up top!)...

jfpilla --Transgo will let you set shift speed by gear. I used one shim and drilled .150 for A(3rd) and .150 for E(4th). Used their #s for the rest. This evened out shift speeds so all gears feel about the same at WOT. With this method you still can firm or soften, by adjusting by TP,if you like.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I noticed in your sig that you take your car to the track therefor, I'm a little surprised you only used 1 shim (level 1 street show off). I will be more than likely only for the street and am looking for what Purerock105 is describing below. Do you believe 2 shims would be too harsh for my application? Any further comments/advice?

vstella --... You also should have the PCM programmed to DELETE the TMS(Torque Management Sytem)..
I knew when I wrote this post that you would chime in Vince. I'm aware of how much your in favor of this mod and believe you once told me you recommend 2 shims. Do you still feel that would be my best move and do you also have details on the holes to be tapped out, etc,?.. I have heard to delete the TMS... Thank for the reminder...

jawski, TLewis4095, and reddon -- ... Do not increse the line preasure as that will shorten the life of he transmission...
Unanimous... Will not firm shifts in PCM with Transgo install...

Purerock105 --... The shifts are spectacular at WOT, but yet just as normal as stock when cruising normal in the city and/or on the highway...
This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Do you know the details on your setup (shims, holes tapped, etc.)?

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. Hopefully more will post before I install this mod... :cheers:

[Modified by SilverC5inOhio, 9:21 AM 7/26/2003]
Old 07-25-2003, 09:09 PM
jawsski
Racer

Transgo told me to slightly increase some hole sizes over their base instructions. Call them for recommendations...BUT DO NOT GO TOO BIG UNLESS YOU HAVE A HIGH STALL TC..such as jfpilla and vstella. Go with two spacers :yesnod:
Old 07-26-2003, 09:32 AM
SilverC5inOhio
Racer

Default Re: Transgo shift kit question... (jawsski)

Transgo told me to slightly increase some hole sizes over their base instructions. Call them for recommendations...BUT DO NOT GO TOO BIG UNLESS YOU HAVE A HIGH STALL TC..such as jfpilla and vstella. Go with two spacers :yesnod:
jawski - I think I will call Transgo for their advice. I'm not sure what would be "TOO BIG" as far as hole sizes. I would think that my Yank SY3500 would be considered a pretty high stall TC, even tho it has a very low STR (1.61)...

Any more Transgo owners?
Old 07-26-2003, 10:09 AM
Corvette Poor
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Transgo shift kit question...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit question...