C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 trans locking out Reverse- help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:46 PM
JCOB2
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 69 Posts

Default M6 trans locking out Reverse- help!

Got in the car to back out of the driveway today and I can't get the shifter into Reverse. I have to force it really really hard to get into R, and there is a "spring loaded" resistance against selecting the gear, like it is being locked out. Once I get it into gear, it stays there and doesn't pop out, and engages smoothly. It is just a matter of selecting the gear that is the problem. I know there is a system that inhibits Reverse selection when the car is moving faster than 5mph (or something like that), in order to prevent an accidental shift into R when driving. But, now it's inhibiting R when I am at a dead stop. I am sure the clutch is all the way down. It's like the "Reverse gear lockout solenoid" or whatever it is called, is malfunctioning. Any ideas how to fix? Is this a common problem? Any quick fixes? Muscling the shifter everytime is not fun!!! (It feels like trying to do a 1 to 2 shift when CAGS is forcing a 1 to 4 shift... it can be done, but takes a lot of strength).
Old 07-26-2003, 08:00 PM
hokievette03
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06
Default Re: M6 trans locking out Reverse- help! (JCOB2)

The reverse lockout solenoid when operating requires approximately 30 lbs of force to be manually over-ridden. The normal state for the solenoid is de-energized and this can be shown by trying to shift into reverse with the car off, the path is blocked. When you are under +/- 4 MPH, the solenoid is energized allowing you to shift into reverse with no resistance. I actually blew out reverse and had my tranny rebuilt under warranty because mine did not work properly, and I shifted from 4 to R instead of 5. It sounds like yours is the opposite, too strong. If you are under warranty take it to the dealer, otherwise still take it to the dealer...the solenoid is on the top side of the transmission and requires moving around the exhaust to get to. Hope this helps you understand what it does and that it is definitely not working correctly.

Quick Reply: M6 trans locking out Reverse- help!