C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2"?

Old 08-06-2003, 12:23 AM
jetsetvette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2"?

Hi guys,

I'm getting a P1416 DTC code on my 97 vette which I understand to be a problem with the "Secondary Air Injection". I have two questions:

1 - What is the Air Injection?
2 - Is this likely something I can fix / replace myself or will I have to take it to the Dealer?

Any pointers would be most appreciated!

J.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:42 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2"? (jetsetvette)

Welcome to the Forum! :)

....I'm getting a P1416 DTC code on my 97 vette which I understand to be a problem with the "Secondary Air Injection". I have two questions:

1 - What is the Air Injection?
2 - Is this likely something I can fix / replace myself or will I have to take it to the Dealer? ......
General Operation: Secondary air injection is part of vehicle emissions control. When you first start the car, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies fuel to the engine in an "Open Loop" mode. "Open Loop" operation creates good cold engine driveability but fuel economy suffers. Once the engine is warm, the PCM switches to "Closed Loop" mode and fuel is supplied at a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. The PCM monitors "rich/lean" feedback from the Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) located in the exhaust manifolds/pipes, and depending on the HO2S information, the PCM makes changes to the air/fuel ratio.

Now to your error code: When the car first starts, the PCM supplies fuel somewhat "richer" for improved cold engine driveability(Open Loop Operation). The PCM also commands the Secondary Air Injection pump ON. This fresh air is injected into the exhaust - this extra oxygen introduced into the exhaust system accelerates catalyst operation. The PCM monitors the HO2S sensors during this time to determine if the air injection system is operating properly.

If the PCM detects a problem with the AIR system during Open Loop Operation it runs additional tests of the AIR system during Closed Loop Operation. When a problem is identified a DTC is set.

P1416 is a "Bank 2" fault (passenger side). If there was a driver's side fault. the P1415 would be set. If BOTH banks have problems at the same time, the P0410 would have set. As P1416 only was set, indications are that the problem is not something that effects both banks (sides).

Moisture, water, debris injested into the AIR pump can cause problems.

You might also check pipes/hoses of the AIR system for loose or missing clamps, kinks, holes, pinched hoses, heat damage.

The other checks require the use of a scan tool.

Sorry, not much help.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:59 AM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2"? (jetsetvette)

Most often this code is caused by a bad check valve which is located above the passenger side exhaust manifold in the AIR plumbing.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:01 PM
jetsetvette
2nd Gear

Thanks for the great responses guys!

I'm a relative novice here, so bear with me! Can I check the AIR pump for debris and such like myself? Is it easily accessible under the hood? What about checking the bad "check valve"?

I don't currently have a great relationship with my local dealership (long story involving $350 for a battery replacement - but that's for another post), so ideally if this is something I can repair myself I'd like to give it a shot.

Would resetting the DTC code and seeing if the problem returns be a good idea?

J.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Default Re: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (jetsetvette)

Definitely try resetting the code and see if it reappears. It is possible that it is a one time thing.

OTOH, it probably is the check valve. If you are not under warranty it's not a hard repair to do yourself. If you are under warranty take it to another dealer. Most do a great job in my experience.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:55 PM
99blackFRC
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (Elk)

Don't even bother with checking this that or the other... Most likely you have a bad passenger side check valve. Very common fail and easy to replace (if not under warrenty). They typically range from $12-$15 at your local parts store (I know Napa carries them)...
Old 08-06-2003, 07:29 PM
cliffkh
Pro

Default Re: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (99blackFRC)

Don't even bother with checking this that or the other... Most likely you have a bad passenger side check valve. Very common fail and easy to replace (if not under warrenty). They typically range from $12-$15 at your local parts store (I know Napa carries them)...
I had the same recurring problem. If you are inexperienced such as myself you may not find this all that easy - you have to pull off the intake manifold to get to the valve where the tubing wraps around in back. I know that isn't rocket science but I'm guessing 4 hours if you haven't done any work on your C5. The driver side is very accessible, you can get to it without removing anything at all - too bad that doesn't help you out.

just fyi - since I was doing some other performance work, I had the AIR codes deleted with my LS1 Edit tune, welded the AIR tube openings on the headers closed, and pulled all the tubing, etc out of there. Looks much cleaner and I'll never see that code again. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 PM
fuel524
Instructor

Default Re: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (cliffkh)

I had this code for a long time and I finally took it in last week and the dealer replaced the check valve for me and I haven't had the code since, so I think that's what caused the code on mine
Old 08-06-2003, 09:17 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (cliffkh)

If you are inexperienced such as myself you may not find this all that easy - you have to pull off the intake manifold to get to the valve where the tubing wraps around in back. I know that isn't rocket science but I'm guessing 4 hours if you haven't done any work on your C5. The driver side is very accessible, you can get to it without removing anything at all - too bad that doesn't help you out.
The fact that the right side check valve is in back and the plumbing is held in place by a bracket bolted to the back of the engine makes this job a lot harder than it should be.

If you want to tackle it yourself hears an a howto on removing the intake manifold complete with pictures by jmx: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

This howto is really about swapping a LS6 intake, so just ignore the steps about the "green clips" and the coolant pipes under the manifold.

Once you have the manifold off then remove the clamps and AIR hoses from the AIR system right pipe.
Remove the AIR pipe bracket bolt from the cyclinder head.
Remove the two bolts attaching the AIR pipe to the right exhaust manifold.
Unscrew the check valve from the AIR pipe.
Reverse the procedure for installation.

It's not all that hard; it just takes a little time and patience :cheers:
Old 08-07-2003, 06:58 AM
99blackFRC
Burning Brakes

ugh.. I keep forgetting that this particular valve on the C5 is behind the manifold. It's only in the easy location on F-bodys, which is what I've changed most of them on.. If you want to change it yourself, use Jon's site like mentioned above - very informative stuff :)

Get notified of new replies

To What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2"?