C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheels/tires balanced twice...still get nibble at 75-80mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:43 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default New wheels/tires balanced twice...still get nibble at 75-80mph

Anyone know what could be wrong and can it be corrected? Balance was done at Discount Tire by same tech each time. Problem was lessened with 2nd balance...took additional .5 grams on each front tire/wheel assembly. He said bead may have seated better after driving a few days. But I still have some nibble between 75 and 80 mph. I'm thinking I should get on-car balancing done somewhere. Could wheels be defective? There was some noticeable runout when the wheels were spun on the balance machine. :cheers:
Old 08-12-2003, 11:05 PM
98vettecpe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New wheels/tires balanced twice...still get nibble at 75-80mph ($$$frumnuttin')

If there is noticible runout or wobble. Tire balance will not correct it . There is no need to balance on the car. Is the runout in the tire or wheel. You can check by holding a block near the inside wheel lip and turning the tire and wheel assembly. Tire balance cannot correct a wheel or tire that is out of round. A professional tire installer [yes there is such a person] can tell you that right away. Good luck
Old 08-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Brian@KelleyPerf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New wheels/tires balanced twice...still get nibble at 75-80mph ($$$frumnuttin')

Anyone know what could be wrong and can it be corrected? Balance was done at Discount Tire by same tech each time. Problem was lessened with 2nd balance...took additional .5 grams on each front tire/wheel assembly. He said bead may have seated better after driving a few days. But I still have some nibble between 75 and 80 mph. I'm thinking I should get on-car balancing done somewhere. Could wheels be defective? There was some noticeable runout when the wheels were spun on the balance machine. :cheers:
Your best bet is to go to a tire store that has a Hunter 9700 balancer. This is probably the most advanced system available and takes road force variances into account when it calculates where and how much weight should be applied to the wheel. It can also tell the technician where to turn the tire on the wheel for the lowest variance and for the best possible balance.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:29 AM
Darrell G
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New wheels/tires balanced twice...still get nibble at 75-80mph (Brian@KelleyPerf)

I had a problem that several people thought was tire balancing. It was a light vibration and noise that sounded like rmmmmm, rmmmmm, rmmmm. The noise could come in at about 70mph and get louder the faster I went. Took it back to Discount Tires. They said everything was perfect. Finally took it to my local GM dealer. Turns out that it was the left rear wheel bearing. Luckily it was covered by warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To New wheels/tires balanced twice...still get nibble at 75-80mph

Quick Reply: New wheels/tires balanced twice...still get nibble at 75-80mph