C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action

Old 08-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Jacob
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action

I get the sense that this fuel sender problem is a widespread problem on C5's of all years. I am personally aware of problems on a '99 C5, '01 C5, and two '02 Z06 cars.

GM now takes the position that the fuel sender may be adversly affected by sulphur in the fuel. First they reflash the PCM with a software update relating to the fuel level monitoring system. Next they want to add a chemical to the fuel to unstick the fuel sender. Neither of these measures has remedied the problem. The software update did manage to make the fuel guage even wonkier. The guage now registers full until 120 miles have gone by, then drops to 7/8 full. Another hundred miles then the guage drops like a stone to 1/3 full. It is simply not reliable.

I expect as a last resort they will change out the sender. They likely need to change out the sender for each tank, as changing one only has not corrected the problem on my vehicle.

GM seems slow to fix this problem. What is the experience of other members?

Jacob

[Modified by Jacob, 4:49 PM 8/29/2003]
Old 08-29-2003, 09:48 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action (Jacob)

The fuel tanks and senders were redisigned for the mid 2003 model year (the sensers are relocated)...

Based on my past experience,unfortunately this this will more than likely mean that GM will no longer address the 1997-2002 design :nonod: Late 2002 models have the updated senders and the latest program from the factory,and they still have fuel gauge issues.You can replace the senders,but the potential for future failure is still there if you are installing the same part.

The fuel gauge issue is much like the column lock issue...Both will never go away :rolleyes:
Old 08-29-2003, 10:15 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action (C-5 TECH)

Mine is a 2000 and my fuel sender unit broke, they replaced it a year ago and now the replaced one stopped working also. Piece of junk, and let me guess, they won't fix this one under warranty because my car is 4 years old now right? :mad
Old 08-30-2003, 01:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action (2000^C5)

My 98 has had the problem. first the dealer said it was the PCM and it was replaced. Didn't cure the problem. Next they replaced the senders. So far, so good, but I don't drive the car enough to really tell if the problem has been corrected. Another GM engineering screwup. If the problem was with the gasoline used in the C5 Corvettes, then how come my other three cars don't have the sender problem or any of my friends and neighbors in their cars. Same gasoline. Remember how GM tried to blame the crappy leather seat covers on us, saying we were not entering/exiting our C5's correctly. and in addition it was because we were wearing bluejeans. What a joke.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:00 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action (Jacob)

I had both senders replaced just inside my extended warranty on my 97. I need to know if there is any preventive maintenance I can do now to prevent having to pay through the nose next time. Do those fuel system cleaners work, or some other product? :cheers:
Old 08-30-2003, 03:31 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action ($$$frumnuttin')

The easiest fix or preventive maintenance that I know of is to not let the level drop below half. I don't go out of my way to find a gas station when the level drops below half but when I see one I stop and fill up.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:50 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action (SFVetteman)

Ok, but it doesn't make sense to me. If the sender is immersed in fuel all the time why would staying above a 1/2 tank make any difference? Just my keen engineering mind at work again! :jester :jester :jester
Old 08-30-2003, 07:13 PM
tom p
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action ($$$frumnuttin')

I think he is talkin about gas run-out and not service issues. I too set my trip a-b every time i fill ,and when i get to 200 I fill again!I never had a problem until i ran out of gas one time . Ever since then it has been a guessin game. The gauge has a mind of it's own. There has been many posts on this sender problem so i just never run with less than half a tank! :chevy :chevy
Old 09-25-2004, 02:59 PM
new zealand
2nd Gear

Default N.z.

2002 corvette with 5000 miles, fuel guage drops like a rock at half full.First time at corvette forum! Is there some type of a callback been issued since new? bob
Old 09-25-2004, 03:20 PM
louzon
Racer

Default Cheap gas?

If I put cheap gas in my car and can almost bet on the gauge messing up.
Than the next tank gets Mobil, BP or AMOCO and the problem goes away, so this kind of leads me to beleive it is the gas and maybe it does have something to do with sulfur content?
But this does mean GM shouldn't fix this problem the fuel gauge should work with all types of gas sold in the USA. I wonder if any other of their vehicles have this problem?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:09 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Put some fuel additive BG44K in the tank. This sometimes cures the problems.Save the Wave.>George
Old 09-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Vetish
Instructor

Default 2001 going in next week

My 2001 coupe worked great for close to 3 years, but was reflashed a year ago at 17000 miles....then ran out of warranty and had the dash cluster replaced several weeks ago on the replacement warranty company's account....but that didn't fix the problem.

It's going in next week...and I hate to pester the nice dealer that has been working on it. GM has followed up with me in an effort to fix it, though.

It's a real shame that this is happening to so many.....it would be great PR (and cure my indecisiveness to buy a C6) if GM takes care of us properly!

Good luck, all!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Sender/ Irratic Gas Guage Problem and Warranty Action