C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failing smog in CA with shorty headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 01:53 PM
ElanMike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing smog in CA with shorty headers?

I have shorty headers on the car and the smog shop is saying they have to fail it. IS this right? How do i get around this. I only went with short as they were supposed to be OK for in CA.
Help please?
Old 09-08-2003, 03:11 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers? (ElanMike)

Only if the headers are not Carb certified. Check with the manufacture of the headers. I had short headers on my car, they were Carb Certified. I put the sticker on the sill plate under the wipers. I had no problem passing smog.
If they fail you it opens a big can of worms.
Best of luck to ya,
Tim
Old 09-08-2003, 04:57 PM
ElanMike
Instructor

Default Re: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers? (C54TIM)

My smog was aborted! And, the shop didn't charge me a penny, luckily. I'm planning to buy a set of smog certified headers and then sell the old ones to someone outdie of CA. It's probably the expensive solution, but I don;t now how to find a smog shop that will pass me.
The headers i had were advertised as 50-state legal, but did not have CARB cert. I phoned the dealer who then sent me to the manufacturer. They said they are legal, but won't pass SMOG. I then argued the point to no avail. When asked what i should, they kindly told me I was screwed. Nice, especially from a manufacturer actually located in CA. :banghead:
Old 09-08-2003, 06:12 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear of your hassle with this.

The old days of the 'wink wink' smog check are long gone. They have really cracked down on that stuff.

I had an old van that failed the visual inspection because someone had removed the 'vacuum amplifier'. The measured emisions were below the limit, but they failed it on a visual inspection only. I was able to go to a junkyard and get a vacuum amplifier, then run the lines so it looked like it was doing something, and pass. That's our taxpayer dollars hard at work!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:11 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The headers i had were advertised as 50-state legal, but did not have CARB cert. I phoned the dealer who then sent me to the manufacturer. They said they are legal, but won't pass SMOG. I then argued the point to no avail. When asked what i should, they kindly told me I was screwed. Nice, especially from a manufacturer actually located in CA. :banghead:
I guess their argument is that California is not one of the 50 states. I've heard people say this before, but for political reasons. Seriously, this is b.s., and they really should get taken to the woodshed for such obvious misstatements in their advertising. Maybe you should whisper "California Business & Professions Code Section 17200" in their ear and see what happens. :smash:
Old 09-09-2003, 05:31 PM
tpocock
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers? (allanlaw)

You should look up any aftermarket part to make sure that it has a CARB#, at:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

There are many parts that are "50 state smog legal" but do not have CARB#'s and therefore will fail a smog check in California.

[Modified by tpocock, 2:32 PM 9/9/2003]
Old 09-09-2003, 07:01 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those guys must be pretty Corvette savy to notice that set of shorty headers where not stock.

Unlucky you for taking it to such a place.

:(
Old 09-09-2003, 08:40 PM
larrysb
Race Director

Maybe you can file a complaint with CARB and the California Attorney General's office for false advertisement, which is what it is if they claimed the headers to be legal in all 50 states.

No CARB EO means not legal in California, advertising otherwise is deceptive trade practice and I garantee you CARB and the State will come down hard on a California business that is doing that.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:43 AM
MTV
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Re: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers? (larrysb)

I have been considering an FLP long tube Headers System with cats and cross over. After reading this thread, I emailed FLP to find out if the headers were CARB certified and they said they weere not, no long tube header was CARB certified, but their Cats were CARB certified. What does this mean?
:confused:
Old 09-10-2003, 11:53 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

You should try another shop and have them do a pre inspection first. I know of several guys with L/T Headers that have not had a problem with the visual.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:11 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

B&B and JBA are the only two shorty headers that have an EO#. JBA are about half the price of B&B but I know of one C5 owner that returned them because they didn't line up right, so fitment might be a problem :banghead:
My smog was aborted! And, the shop didn't charge me a penny, luckily. I'm planning to buy a set of smog certified headers and then sell the old ones to someone outdie of CA. It's probably the expensive solution, but I don;t now how to find a smog shop that will pass me.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:33 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers? (Mviola)

In order for headers, LT or shorty, to become CARB certified the manufacturer must submit them for testing which takes time and costs money. Currently, most manufacturers don't think the CA market is worth it. In addition, in the years when C5's had pup cats they might have to incorporate them into the design to be legal.

The difference in OEM and high flow converters is not how well they do their job as both do it equaly well. The difference lies in how long they will last as the high flow converters have fewer pellets for less restriction to get the job done. However, it is technically illegal to replace converters unless the originals are bad.
I have been considering an FLP long tube Headers System with cats and cross over. After reading this thread, I emailed FLP to find out if the headers were CARB certified and they said they weere not, no long tube header was CARB certified, but their Cats were CARB certified. What does this mean?
:confused:
Old 09-10-2003, 05:49 PM
SNW Vette
Racer

Hi,
Bassani has a long tube for single cat cars that they are testing to get an EO. The current guess is that they will have the test done in December. Andy at A&A is selling these headers now. In CA, single cat cars are ’97-‘99 C5’s and ’02 and later Z06’s.

If your shorty’s are B&B’s and you failed the smog test because you don’t have the original documentation, call Mike at B&B ask them to help you out.
Good luck,
Steve
:seeya
Old 09-10-2003, 06:20 PM
larrysb
Race Director

Default Re: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers? (SFVetteman)

In order for headers, LT or shorty, to become CARB certified the manufacturer must submit them for testing which takes time and costs money. Currently, most manufacturers don't think the CA market is worth it. In addition, in the years when C5's had pup cats they might have to incorporate them into the design to be legal.
Yup. I agree completely.

However, it's just completely wrong for someone to advertize a product as being legal in California when it does not carry an EO# that makes it so.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:34 PM
BLUTHUNDER
Drifting

Go to another SMOG shop..Mine passed with RK longtubes ;)

Good Luck !

:cheers:

Jeff
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 PM
daveydc5
Racer

Try SLP. I know all of their F-body headers have a CARB number.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers? (allanlaw)

Yet another reason not to live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Get notified of new replies

To Failing smog in CA with shorty headers?

Quick Reply: Failing smog in CA with shorty headers?