C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the piece of plastic out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:44 PM
NVMYCORVETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the piece of plastic out?

How do I get the Piece's of plastic that is surrounding the fog lights?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-16-2003, 11:09 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do I get the piece of plastic out? (NVMYCORVETTE)

Well, you are in for a little treat and a couple of hours worth of sweat here. I replaced my OEM ones with aftermarket grill types about a year ago. So, I think I remember what I did -

All work is done from under the front end of the car so, jack it up (be safe and secure the car BEFORE you crawl under it).

1. Remove the 2 air duct corrugated plastic tubes (they just pull out) feeding air to the front brake rotors.
2. The fog light black panels are held in place by a couple of small bolts that you will need to remove.
3. A lot of wiggling will get the panels out. Removing the air ducts provides you more room to wiggle.

Then, do what it is you need to do and repeat the process in reverse to reinstall.

I'm trying to remember if I had to drop the spring loaded air deflector and a plastic bottom panel under the radiator shroud. It's been a while. As I recall though, it was more tedious than difficult. Takes a couple of beers.

Let me know if you have trouble and I'll go look in the garage to refresh my memory.

Later, and good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:53 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

they were designed to be installed/removed with the bumper OFF of the car. As mentioned above, you can remove the lower closeout panels and get to them, but you can have the entire bumper cover off in about the same amount of time. Nice time to pull the build sheet, if you're interested.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:16 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Default Re: How do I get the piece of plastic out? (jeanlucpicard)

I did mine a couple of years ago, and "middle age" is playing games with my memory...However, I seem to recall that I removed the lower panels at the bottom front of the wheelwells, and also the shroud in front of the radiator. I know for sure that I didn't have to remove the center air deflector.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:06 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I took my front fascia off to get at mine since I was removing them to add Z06 screens and swapping in PIAA fogs at the same time. It's easy to pull the fascia off but it helps to have a friend to assist on removal and replacement. Now that I have my shrouds out, I'm about to install the Vararam and I'm hoping it'll make the job go easier. Below is a pick of the filler shroud once I had it out of the car. You can see the three locations the screws go in and the holes that hold the clips for the wiring that runs along the bottom for the signal lights. It's important to note that the screw that goes in the mounting hole on the left in the picture also heps secure the turn signal so it'd be prudent to put that one back in. The other two can be left out as they only hold the shroud.

Old 09-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

It took me about 40 minutes to remove mine.. removed all the 8 mm bolts from the lower facia... used two pieces of wood to prop this area open.. 8 inches... then with a 8 mm socket on a swivel remove the five bolts from the fog light sourounds and they come right out..

[Modified by Evil-Twin, 4:31 PM 9/17/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To How do I get the piece of plastic out?

Quick Reply: How do I get the piece of plastic out?