C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Pacs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!! Now OK Tks

Today all of a sudden the Driver vents are blowing out hot air and passenger vents still blow cold air. No codes, adjusting temp ****, no help all modes blow hot air on driver side. Is some baffel not opening or closing, New to Corvettes, no ideal where to start, Darn dual mode air... Any sugestions would be a great help... :(

[Modified by Pacs, 3:25 AM 9/23/2003]
Old 09-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Default Re: Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!! (Pacs)

sorry to tell ya but it's an internal part. very expensive at the dealership too from what I've heard. that happened to me and I recharged the system and it blows cold again but still isn't as cold as the passenger side. haven't had it fixed yet--I'm hoping there's a simple fix.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:23 PM
TexasRedZ06
Drifting

Default Re: Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!! (Pacs)

Pacs,

There is a reset procedure that you can do that may work. An easier method may be to just disconnect the battery for 10mins.

Copied from a previous post:
Pull the 3 A/C fuses underhood and under passenger side kick panel (Underhood & Floorboard). Start Ignition & Actuator doors should reset. The internal air flow doors for the Left and Right vents of the Dual Zone unit are controlled by independent actuators. It is possible that somehow the actuator on one side got "confused". If you pull the fuse for the A/C unit and replug in, the A/C system will go through an initialization routine and move all internal actuator doors to their extreme Open and Closed positions in order to calibrate the limits. Once you put the fuses back in and turn the key to Start, let the system go through this process (you should hear the actuators doing their thing). Once that is complete, if you still have problems then likely the actuator on either side is bad and needs replaced.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:40 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 869 Likes on 434 Posts

Default Re: Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!! (TexasRedZ06)

INSIDE the left temp actuator, the gears need to be indexed over by 2 teeth. There is an internal TSB on this. The door is over closing, or going out of range. Tech will remove actuator (motor), open it up & adjust the gear teeth.

Until this is done, you will forever have intermittent problems on the drivers side...

it is NOT the actuator itself, it is NOT the control head....

Trust me bro.... :yesnod:

[Modified by indypace78, 6:40 PM 9/22/2003]
Old 09-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Pacs
Intermediate

Default Re: Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!! (indypace78)

Thanks for the info. I will try to reset, if not then off to the dealer I go.. :smash:
Old 09-22-2003, 10:24 PM
Pacs
Intermediate

Thanks for the Help..
I reset my PCM and now have cold air out all ducts.
This is a GREAT Site :seeya
Old 09-23-2003, 08:07 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 869 Likes on 434 Posts

Until you do what I said, you will still have intermittent problems..

It will occur again...

A loss of power, or re-setting the PCM will put the hvac in test mode where it recloses & opens the doors etc..

However once ther door is able to close out of range, you will forever , but intermittently, have that issue until the teeth are indexed 2 over..
Old 09-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Pacs
Intermediate

Default Re: Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!! (indypace78)

Thanks for that info indypace78. I guess off to the shop for a final solution.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!!

Quick Reply: Driver side Air Conditioning Hot, Passenger side cold, Help!!!