C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Tranny Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 03:03 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A4 Tranny Cooler Lines

Are the lines flaired at 37 or 45 degrees? Also what size is the line that goes from the transmission up to the radiator?

Keith

Old 09-24-2003, 03:40 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: A4 Tranny Cooler Lines (kromberg)

Keith, it's been a while so I don't remember. However, when I removed the bottom line to the radiator i noticed the flare and fitting and thread was unusual. I didn't want to have any leaks so I cut the line and ran rubber tubing to the cooler. If I want I can splice the line with rubber to go back to stock.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:07 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: A4 Tranny Cooler Lines (jfpilla)

I think this is the splice he is refering to we did back in the day.

[Modified by wallstAL, 10:09 PM 9/24/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 09:40 AM
1SlowC5
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

:iagree:
Thats what I did.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Heretic
Pro

Most GM stuff uses what is called a saginaw flare. ---|-- is roughly what it looks like. There is an O-ring on the flair.
The tool to make these is like $500+ as hyraulic is the only way to make them.
Also on the 4L80E I have in my 69 Camaro, there was a really unusual push in type of fitting on the cooler lines. I ended up cutting off the flared end, and TIG welding that piece into a 90' AN adaptor. I then used AN to saginaw adaptors on the radiator, and AN to pipe adaptors on the aux cooler. I then plumbed everything with #6 AN stainless braided line, except for the lines running along the engine and frame, for which I bent hard lines.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Steve'01
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was able to find a metric to 6 AN (male/male) fitting to adapt the top outlet of the radiator. Aeroquip "Metric Conversion adapter". The side that went into the radiator has a small O ring on it that rests on the inside of the tank fitting. Then run stainless line to your cooler. For the lower side cut the metal line and use a 6 AN to pipe adapter. Or "Flareless tube nut". You can buy this also. I am looking at the lower piece and a piece that looks like the upper. If I had an extra upper piece I would sent it to you. The Top piece looks like an early TPI fuel rail AN adapter. Let me know and I will e-mail you a picture of the fitting or just look at Aeroquips site. The rubber hose will work fine but nothing lasts like AN and stainless hose, and will never leak. While your at how about an oil cooler and remote filter? See ya. :cheers: :iagree:

[Modified by Steve'01, 8:09 PM 9/25/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To A4 Tranny Cooler Lines

Quick Reply: A4 Tranny Cooler Lines