C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:28 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking convertible top

My convertible top leaks on the drivers side near the front of the window right where the top weatherstripping meets the weather stripping going up the A pillar. Does anyone know how I can fix this. Apparently the water seems to get in as it sweeps over that area when the wipers are going.

Thanks

Rob
Old 09-29-2003, 06:09 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08
Default Re: Leaking convertible top (robl45)

I think it happens to most of the Vette and I am not sure you can fix it.
If you read this article http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...2_0305_cobvet/, they said that
"Unlike most European convertibles, American-made iron still suffers from cowl shake and leaky tops. The Corvette and Cobra are hugely improved over their predecessors, but hit a patch of rough pavement and the windshield still sways--one oscillation for the Corvette and two for the Mustang. Putting them through the car wash, both leaked a few drops at the A-pillar seals. But the leakage isn't enough that you'd get soaked in the rain, either." :rolleyes:
After reading that, I don't plan to fix mine
:cheers:

[Modified by mike76002, 5:10 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 07:02 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Leaking convertible top (mike76002)

well mine leaks every time it rains, its only a few drops, but every time it rains is rediculous, and its because the rain is constantly going over that area because that is the path it takes when teh wipers move it off the windshield.

Rob
Old 09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

The pavement they went over in the C5 must have been pretty rough. I’ve never noticed any cowl shake with mine.

I have had two leaks pop up with mine. One was the passenger side window vertical weatherstrip and the other was the right rear corner of the top where the seal contacts the body. Neither was very bad. In both cases, some cleaner and protectant for rubber cured the problem.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
MWahlquist
Heel & Toe

:iagree:
Old 09-29-2003, 07:19 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Leaking convertible top (MWahlquist)

you guys are luckier than I am, I have major dealer issues here. I don't want to get into them yet, I'm still hoping the dealer will fix things without having to resort to letting everyone in the world know what kind of scum they are. I'm think the only way it will be fixed on mine is if the window either comes in a little bit, don't really see that happening or the entire frame is replaced so that the top is more over toward the drivers side.

Rob
Old 09-29-2003, 09:12 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently the water seems to get in as it sweeps over that area when the wipers are going.
Seems? Ever try one of those gas station 'touchless' high-pressure washes? You know, the wash where the arm hangs down and multiple sprayers hit the car at 90deg angles.

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

My leg gets drenched, water runs down the seat between my thighs, and my head gets hard spray while I'm frantically searching the cabin for some shield. Never again.

[Modified by blu00rdstr, 6:13 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
T2001W
Advanced

Well at least I'm not alone!! :jester
I believe it is a convenience feature of the convertible to pre dampen the interior parts so it's easier to clean.

[Modified by T2001W, 3:11 PM 9/30/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 03:40 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you guys are luckier than I am, I have major dealer issues here. I don't want to get into them yet, I'm still hoping the dealer will fix things without having to resort to letting everyone in the world know what kind of scum they are. I'm think the only way it will be fixed on mine is if the window either comes in a little bit, don't really see that happening or the entire frame is replaced so that the top is more over toward the drivers side.

Rob
The window adjustment will tilt the window in a little bit.

My only problem with leaks has been the weatherstripping on the passenger side lip does not go over the top of the window like it should. It takes a torrential downpour to make it leak, but if left in the rain for hours will soak the passenger side carpet. I replaced it, but the new one had the same problem, the lip wasn't as wide as the window. Tilt in adjustments didn't help. I cut the old piece lip and attached it to the new piece lip with weatherstrip glue. You can't see it and there is no more leak.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:51 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Leaking convertible top (rbarta)

Hey, a pic of this would help a lot if you can get one.

Thanks

Rob

The window adjustment will tilt the window in a little bit.

My only problem with leaks has been the weatherstripping on the passenger side lip does not go over the top of the window like it should. It takes a torrential downpour to make it leak, but if left in the rain for hours will soak the passenger side carpet. I replaced it, but the new one had the same problem, the lip wasn't as wide as the window. Tilt in adjustments didn't help. I cut the old piece lip and attached it to the new piece lip with weatherstrip glue. You can't see it and there is no more leak.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:24 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Same prob. :mad
Old 10-02-2003, 10:33 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

I guess I have been lucky.... my top does not leak in the rain. Years ago, I did buy a brand new F-body Convertible that leaked from day one... :mad

VR :cheers:
Old 10-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Red Vert 02
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've owned convertibles of various makes for 35 years and my C5 is the first one that didn't leak in the rain. I've never run my C5 through a car wash so I can't comment on that. I do use weather strip lube on the top every couple of months. Maybe that helps. Hope you can get yours fixed without any hassles. :auto:
Old 10-02-2003, 11:30 PM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Leaking convertible top (SFVetteman)

The pavement they went over in the C5 must have been pretty rough. I’ve never noticed any cowl shake with mine.
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking convertible top

Quick Reply: Leaking convertible top