C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0440 code keeps popping up

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:56 PM
jam999999
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0440 code keeps popping up

Ever since I had my heads, cam, and Z06 intake installed, I have been getting this code. Although, it has been showing up quite often lately. It has been a while since I looked up the code in my manuals, but I believe it has something to do with Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction. Has anyone else had any issues similar to this. When I delete the code, the car runs very well, although when the code shows up, it seems to loose a little power and shift earlier (A4). Thanks in advance for any help.
john

[Modified by jam999999, 12:58 PM 10/21/2003]

[Modified by jam999999, 3:21 PM 10/21/2003]
Old 10-21-2003, 11:07 PM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: P0440 code keeps popping up (jam999999)

according to my 98 GM service manual there is no P0440.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Ever since I had my heads, cam, and Z06 intake installed, I have been getting this code. Although, it has been showing up quite often lately. It has been a while since I looked up the code in my manuals, but I believe it has something to do with Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction. Has anyone else had any issues similar to this. When I delete the code, the car runs very well, although when the code shows up, it seems to loose a little power and shift earlier (A4). Thanks in advance for any help.
john

[Modified by jam999999, 12:58 PM 10/21/2003]

[Modified by jam999999, 3:21 PM 10/21/2003]
First guess is a loose or damaged fuel cap:

Large and small leaks
Excess vacuum
Purge flow during non-commanded conditions
Fuel level and fuel pressure sensor faults
EVAP purge and vent valve faults
The PCM monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The PCM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions for running the DTC are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The PCM commands the EVAP purge solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction. This DTC sets after twice failing the above test.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

DTCs P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0125, P0420, P0430, P0500, P0502, P0503, P0562, P0563, P1120, P1220, P1221, and HO2S DTCs are not set.
The ignition voltage is between 10 volts and 18 volts .
The barometric pressure is greater than 73 kPa (10.5 psi) .
The fuel level is between 12.5 percent and 87.5 percent of full capacity.
The engine coolant temperature is between 4°C (39°F) and 30°C (86°F) .
The intake air temperature is between 4°C (39°F) and 30°C (86°F) .
The start up engine coolant and intake air temperatures are within 9°C (16°F) of each other.
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The EVAP system cannot develop a vacuum greater than a predetermined value.

IMPORTANT: This DTC does not report a first failed test. A first fail of this DTC will have a scan tool status as Not Run. Use the scan tool data display parameter of EVAP Test Result to determine if this DTC has failed or passed for this ignition cycle.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic tails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the PCM stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the PCM records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The PCM writes the conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The PCM turns the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) OFF after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A last test failed (current DTC) clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A History DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if this or any other emission related diagnostic does not report any failures.
Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL/DTC.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

IMPORTANT:

Remove any debris from the PCM/TAC module connector surfaces before servicing the PCM/TAC module. Inspect the PCM/TAC module connector gaskets when diagnosing/replacing the modules. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion into the PCM/TAC modules.
For any test that requires probing the PCM or a component harness connector, use the Connector Test Adapter Kit J 35616-A. Using this kit prevents damage to the harness/component terminals. Refer to Using Connector Test Adapters in Diagrams.
An accurate indication of fuel level is required for the PCM to properly Pass or Fail this DTC. Always diagnose fuel level sensor DTC's before performing this diagnostic table. Always monitor for fuel level sensor DTCs stored as History.
The Service Bay Test may have to be performed in cold ambient air temperatures when the vehicle is running a winter grade fuel. The scan tool displays a message when the service bay test does not run.
Perform a physical inspection of the EVAP system. Inspect for the following conditions:
A loose, missing, defective, or incorrect fuel tank cap
Incorrectly routed or defective EVAP system vacuum and vapor lines
A malfunctioning or damaged vapor canister
Inspect for charcoal release from the vapor canister. Refer to the EVAP System Cleaning procedure. See: Emission Control Systems\Evaporative Emissions System
Old 10-22-2003, 02:03 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: P0440 code keeps popping up (Richin Chicago)

:iagree:

Where have have you been???????????????? :yesnod: :yesnod: :)
Old 10-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: P0440 code keeps popping up (wallstAL)

:iagree:

Where have have you been???????????????? :yesnod: :yesnod: :)
:confused: :confused:
Old 10-22-2003, 11:43 AM
brialex42
Racer

I have had exactly the same problem since having the same modifications done on my car this past summer. Thought it was just something due to the changes made. Maybe this would explain the detonation I am getting in the top of 3rd at WOT? If you get this corrected, please let me know! Resetting it with Autotap is getting to be a pain in the ****.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:19 PM
APT
Advanced

I don't recall the exact code, but I had a similar code that directed me to the EVAP system. I had recently replace my oil pressure sensor and had to remove the intake to get to it. Turns out that one of the hoses leading into the EVAP canister/solenoid (on the drivers side of the intake) had not been completely pushed back on.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:51 PM
jam999999
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: P0440 code keeps popping up (Richin Chicago)

Thanks everyone for all your input. I did think that it could be the gas cap, but I just had the car smog checked and one of the things that is checked is the integrity of the gas cap seal. It passed. I'll check out the connections to the EVAP and then maybe buy a new gas cap.

Hey Al,
I've been around. Trying to get Mr Cole to reprogram my computer. I'm still waiting. Stop by the dyno day in a couple of weeks.

thanks again everyone,
john

Get notified of new replies

To P0440 code keeps popping up

Quick Reply: P0440 code keeps popping up