C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery and battery leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:11 PM
ukneeq
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery and battery leak

Ok. This weekend was very eventful. On Fri weird things started happening with my car. The stereo pop a couple times and turned off and back on a couple times. It stopped a short time later so I thought it was just a weird glitch. Then on Sunday I tried to start the car and it took a couple seconds after I turned the key to start. Once it did start I noticed that the clock had reset and so did the HUD. Well I figured the battery must be low and drove it to get a new battery. Along the way I started getting DIC messages saying Serivce ABS, Service Traction Control, etc... When I replaced the battery I noticed a bunch of acid. Looking on the forum today I ran across the leaking battery problem. I hope this is what I was experiencing because once I put the new battery in it started up fine. I am concerned because I was reading that the PCM is right under the battery tray. I am going to completly clean up the area that has the acid all over it tonight. I was wondering what problems it would cause if the acid got the the PCM. And is there a recall or anything from GM to get it fixed if it did cause a problem?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2003, 02:13 PM
hflynn
Intermediate

Default Re: Dead battery and battery leak (ukneeq)

I offer no assistance other than it appears we are having the same problem. I have had the car for a couple of months now and pulled the battery when it failed to start. Noticed battery acid on the foam covering for the battery. Switched to an Optima red top battery, cleaned the tray and surrounding areas but didn't pull the tray. Since then I have received messages such as service tire pressure monitoring system, service traction control, reduce engine power, low fuel etc. I have had it looked at twice to no avail, once at a dealer. I am going to pull the tray this weekend and look at the PCM for signs of acid damage. I will let you know when I find a solution, please do the same.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:21 PM
SteveL4446
Pro

I've been watching the string of discussions as well. Went out and got a Red Top last week. I don't have any specifics for you, other than check the discussion threads on the topic. Many tips on cleaning etc. Search in the General Discussion area. Here's an example. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=678971
Good luck! :thumbs:
Old 10-27-2003, 02:49 PM
ukneeq
Advanced

Default Re: Dead battery and battery leak (SteveL4446)

Yes. I have read through all the threads about it. I am sure the problems I experienced were from that. I am just worried about the PCM. I haven't had any problems since I replaced the battery, but that was only since this morning. Just concerned about what to look for if it did damage the PCM and wondered if GM offered any type of recall or repair work if it was caused from the known battery leak problem.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
GashWagon
Intermediate

It was discovered that this problem exists (existed) with many C-5's. It was found that the factory set torque for the positive cable bolt too high and it cracks the battery case. Delco is not covering the battery under warranty even though it is a 7 year battery and most are failing within 4 to 5 years. GM is not helping either (even though it was their fault) if the car is over 3 yrs old or over 36,000 miles, which most are when the crack in the battery case finally leaks out enough acid to go bad and screw up things underneath the battery tray. I think a class action suit should commence! Any lawyers out there??? :smash:
Old 10-28-2003, 05:05 PM
ukneeq
Advanced

Default Re: Dead battery and battery leak (GashWagon)

By the looks of what I have read a lot of people are affected. I don't know why GM hasn't done a recall or anything. I just hope someone doesn't get stuck with a big cost to repair an acid killed PCM.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:30 AM
jcbob
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

Cheap insurance= Optima Red Top! Less than 100 dollars delivered to your door from Summit or Jegs. :yesnod: Why risk this mess when it is preventable? :confused: :eek:
Old 10-29-2003, 02:26 PM
88sk
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Dead battery and battery leak (jcbob)

:iagree: gettin optima from summit today.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead battery and battery leak

Quick Reply: Dead battery and battery leak