C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Headlight Door Won't Stay Shut with Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Shotmaker
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Headlight Door Won't Stay Shut with Motor

Last week I encountered a problem with my driver side headlight door. When I turn the headlights out the door closes then immediately opens to about 1/2 to 3/4's the way open. I can crank the door down manually. I replaced the motor gear but the problem persists. The old gear shows no wear or damage. Is there a switch or sensor that could be bad?
Old 10-29-2003, 07:59 PM
C5GARY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C5 Headlight Door Won't Stay Shut with Motor (Shotmaker)

I just went through this myself!!
The arm that attaches to the motor (with a 10mm nut) has a tab that hits the white plastic "stops". Yours is missing the stop somehow. IF you assembled it correctly, the problem can be solved by thick washers between the motor and the headlight assembly frame (under the three 10mm bolts that hold the motor on). This is the GM fix and is in a TSB somewhere.

Mine worked fine for a week and then I had the same problem you describe. In my case, I had the "new" style motor with the plastic gear case and I had JB welded it back together.. and the epoxy had let go.. duh!

Gary
'99 Pewter/Oak coupe MN6/Z51/etc.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Shotmaker
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C5 Headlight Door Won't Stay Shut with Motor (Shotmaker)

Thanks Gary. Last night a buddy looked into it and found that the arm was missing the white plastic stop. Just as you describe. The stop was basically worn through on the contact side. His solution - pull off the stop and flip it over making the unused side the contact side. It worked. The problem was fixed without any tools or kits.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Headlight Door Won't Stay Shut with Motor

Quick Reply: C5 Headlight Door Won't Stay Shut with Motor