C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 05:29 PM
C5EVIL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it?

My previous car was 4 wheel drive, and my vette feels very skittish and unsafe (particularly in the wet), and as such, it's really freaking me out to drive it lately.

I've upgraded the suspension to Z06 spec, and whilst this has cut down body roll, it doesn't make me feel any safer - it feels like the back end is going to kick out at pretty low speeds.

This is getting bad. I'm actually considering selling my vette as I don't feel safe driving it. Someone tell me what is wrong!!?!

:cheers:
Old 11-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Metallic311
Instructor

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (C5EVIL)

My Z06 feels like it's skating taking a sharp turn at low speeds with alot of throttle it kind of whips its tail into the turn.

If you can afford a 4WD sports car like an 04 porche turbo then sell the vette and buy it, I would if I had enough money.

Other than that my Z06 is the most stable car I've ever driven, insane handling, acceptable power, superb braking.

I say this with no offense intended, I have been to bondurant racing school a couple times and it's tought me alot, Maybe the unstability is a result of your technique, A 4WD sportscar will compensate more for lack of technique than a 2WD with alot of power.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:37 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (Metallic311)

I say this with no offense intended, I have been to bondurant racing school a couple times and it's tought me alot, Maybe the unstability is a result of your technique, A 4WD sportscar will compensate more for lack of technique than a 2WD with alot of power.
:iagree:

You've gotta treat a 345HP+ RWD car with respect (even WITH traction control). ALL of my cars have been RWD and I've steadily built-up to progressively more powerful cars... the most recent 3 being Mitsubishi Starion Turbo (Chrysler Conquest in the States), BMW 328i Sport coupe and now the Vette. I guess it's like someone saying that a 500hp car has less grip than a 200hp car when they try to launch it by flooring-it off the line. There could be something amiss with your car (alignment, uneven or wrong tyre pressures), but it could also be that you're just not acclimatised to the handling of a big, torquey RWD car. Also, the larger the tyre contact patch, the less 'progressive' the transition from grip to slip. My advice would be to have your alignment checked on a decent 4-wheel laser alignment rig and to make sure your tyre pressures are correct (~30psi). Your shocks must be OK as I believe you have replaced these.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:52 PM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (i_york)

I have to agree with the chap that suggested a professional driving school. Without it you will not realize, as quickly, your full potential to control the Vette. IMHO.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:55 AM
C5EVIL
Racer

Hmmm.... Not sure my lack of skill is to blame - the car feels fairly skittish even accelerating in a straight line. I've had a few fairly powerful RWD cars before (not least of which my other Vette - C3), and I've never felt so uneasy about driving the car (as I said, in the wet)...

I'm thinking abotu buying coil-overs and T1 sway bars - I suspect the change will be dramatic, but it's a little hard to test the theory over here, as I don't know anyone with a Vette who has done this!

I am pretty concerned, though - don't wanna sell my vette at all.... :(
Old 11-03-2003, 09:35 AM
CAPN17
Safety Car

I am driving a 03 Z06 an the only time it feels as you describe is when I truly unleash the ponies under the hood, or drive in heavy rain. On dry pavement she is glued to the road and ready to run. Check your tires and maybe try a better setup in the rolling rubber area.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Mitch Alsup
Racer

1) make sure you are driving on top notch rubber (e.g. max performance tires) RunCraps do not apply.
2) make sure the car is aligned to the correct specs and make sure that they hit the numbers not just get the corners withint the window.
3) make sure you are running the correct air pressures.

In actuality, you want the car to turn in well (initiate rotation without understeer), and then use some throttle to balance the car mid-turn, and choose a line so that you can use all the throttle leaving the turn.

Since you are comming from a 4WD string of cars, you are probably used to massive understeer and the comfort leve it provides. Yes, it does provide comfort! it is also slow as molasas in wintertime!

Control of a rapidly rotating vehicle is not something one can get in high school (serious frowns from you driving instructors), but is a skill that you should master. Professional driving schools are excellent in getting you up the learning curve, but practice in a EMPTY parking lot can do wonders to get over your fear of rapidl rotation, and give you the touch needed to control a vechcle that can be steered with either and/or both ends.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 AM
C5EVIL
Racer

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (Mitch Alsup)

My car does feel very good in the dry, but it is the wet that seems to cause the problems. The car is on Michellin Pilot Sports, so the rubber is good - I was hoping that you guys were going to tell me that something was set up wrong with my car, to be honest - are my problems likely to be fixed by coil-overs and T1 Sways?

Old 11-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Rain/ wet, high horsepower, wide tires.

It will slide. I will feel road irregularities and shkae the steering wheel.

So, one should set there car up to slide neuartally...no over steer, no under steer when it breaks loose.

Of course hi horse power will induce oversteer so control is the key there.

So first, make sure you have some good rubber as written above. I've read the BFG KKKs are not good in the wet. Firestones are a good comprimise.

Second insure wheels are balanced and proper pressure for cold weather.

Third insure all your suspension bolts are torqued and shocks are not leaking or abused.

Now check your ride height and corner weight.

Then go align the car to the outside performance range of Z06 specs. Of course there is great debate as to what sepcs work best, but I conservativly would start there and then drive it, make notes and try to dial out over and under steer.

Personally I have no issues in the wet, yet I'll write the C4 with Goodyear CGS tires worked better in heavy rain.

Good luck, I think your car is fine. A 4 wheel drive to a Vette is a major upgrade.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:10 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (Kenny94945)

I got the same feeling this past week and it turned out to be worn rear run flats; 20,000 miles and they're almost bald in the middle.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:18 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (Fast one)

This will probably draw flames, but I feel that changing out the OEM GY runflats tires is the single best mod you can do to these cars. The Z06's do not suffer this curse.

Worn GY Runflats = dangerous

I see that you are running Pilots, so this is not the problem.

Does it actually slip? Or does it _feel_ like it's going to slip? Can you take it to an empty parking lot and learn how it feels when it breaks loose? Perhaps it's just a perception?

How about alignment? Has it been checked?

[Modified by SDVette, 9:22 AM 11/3/2003]
Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 PM
LANZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 301 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds to me like you have an alignment problem.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can go very fast at driving events in the rain as we do it all the time. Even with GY run flats. I run the Pilot Sports in the rain. I have gone 140 on Khumo slicks in very light rain at Pocono and was amazed how it stopped and turned. Track events will make you better JMHO Check suspension, alignment, and tire pressures as mentioed above. Make sure the cradle is not loose too.

[Modified by John Shiels, 1:36 PM 11/3/2003]
Old 11-03-2003, 02:09 PM
MarginalTraction
Instructor

It looks like you are already running the Michellin Pilot Sport tires, so your grip isn't going to get any better. I am very happy with my '02. Fo a daily driver, I would not even consider a high horse power car without Active handling.

It doesn't look like you have Active Handling, and this one thing alone will make your car safe (or as safe as these things can get). If you come to trust it, you'll feel much better abou it too. Unfortuneatly, I don't think it can be retro fitted. Perhaps this is a good time to consider upgrading; a bargain '04, or parhaps a C6.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:15 PM
57xray
Advanced

C5Evil,
Take a look at this alignment info. http://www.vettebrakes.com/align.htm
Good lucky :jester
Old 11-03-2003, 02:38 PM
JAMUSA
Intermediate

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (John Shiels)

i have experienced this same problem with my 03/zo6 vette from day one......i have had quite a few high performance cars n this was by far the sloppiest car i have driven.to name a few,i have had....vettes bmw's,mustang;supra 300zx...all with mega horse power.i keep taking the car to the dealer n keep exploaining tha the rear end is loose n the car feels like its breaking away at the rear tire.finally they found the problem to be a loose suspension from the factory......so they thighten it n re-align the car.they also say that this is a common problem with the c5's n z06's.good luck.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It shouldn't feel sloppy at all in the conditions you mention. I had a 97 from the time they first came out and went to an 03 Z06 this year and did not have that problem on either car. If you are running high speed into corners the C5 is a little tail happy under trailing throttle conditions and may make you feel like the car is going to come around as it tightens into a corner. However, a little throttle will bring it right back onto the line you want to follow.

I have found that 4 drive wheel porches (front or rear) can not get around a track as well as a C5. You may want to get the alignment checked.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it?

Old 11-04-2003, 12:55 AM
7.0sc SuperVette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Sunny Earthquake Country, USA On the Left Coast (which is becoming more Right!)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5EVIL,
I have a '97 coupe also with F45 suspension. If you have F45 springs, they are the softest-in fact my front end dropped noticeably fron the weight of the addition of an ATI Procharger! I remember having feelings like yours when I did my suspension. The last thing I did was springs. I had T1 racing sway bars on and off (sqeaked!), tried stock sway bars and something called "sport" sway bars from Chev. It always felt skitterish when I ran something other than the T1's. If you have F45 springs-get Z06 springs and you should be OK. With the T1's on, my car is a bit too stiff for city driving with the Z06 springs!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:09 AM
FO SHIZZLE
Instructor

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (97 C5 Metamorphosis)

toe out in the rear makes the car loose as a goose
Old 11-05-2003, 01:36 AM
jimhild
Pro

Default Re: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it? (FO SHIZZLE)

Are the tires matched? did you replace front and rear tires? I tried non-runflats on the back with my Firestones on the front and the car was very unstable, as you describe.

Otherwise, it may be the lack of active handling. I will not drive mine unless AH is on and active. It is too quick to step out of line.

Quick Reply: My car feels unstable - what can I do to fix it?