C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 12:08 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question

I'm gonna replace the bulbs in the fog/driving lights. Simply question for someone who has already done it. Once I've got the headlights up and can reach in and touch the connector on the fog light, do I pull the connector first and then twist the buld a quarter turn? Not sure if the connector and bulb come out together like the headlight bulbs do. I did a search and didn't find any info of this. Thanks. :chevy
Old 11-11-2003, 12:36 AM
88sk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question (Shortimer)

funny u should ask,just put mine in today both driving&fog,driving lites u gotta take the black headlamp surround off(3philips screws) then 1/4 twist but before pop off clip with fingernail as wire is too short for total exposure,foglamps I did from underneath(rhinoramps used)take panel off surroundingbrake duct(5-6 screws )then reach up& turn out bulb,1/2 hr. total time, easy job,fogs didnt notice much difference goin from 35 to 50 watt,but headlamps big difference in light color.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:39 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question (88sk)

This is easier if done from the bottom. You remove the splash shield.. Then the bulb is right there. This would be a good time to upgreade to PIAA 1100X's
Old 11-11-2003, 04:01 AM
lowdowndirty
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question (ICULUKN-C5)

:withstupid:
I disagree. I just swapped a driving light on my mom's coupe. I raised the headlights, took off the pastic bezel, reached down and unplugged the pigtail from the light, then twisted the socket out. When installing the new light, go in reverse order. This was my first attempt at a C5 driving light swap and it took me less than five minutes (including opening the bulb packaging). Good luck. Chris.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced my fog bulbs. You have to adjust them, they come from factory set real low. You adjust the height with a # 15 Tork, thru hole near them. This adjusts only their height (they are real wide beams anyway).

Big difference, I use them all the time with low beams, they really light up sides of road.

You twist first, then pull.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question (lowdowndirty)

:withstupid:
I disagree. I just swapped a driving light on my mom's coupe. I raised the headlights, took off the pastic bezel, reached down and unplugged the pigtail from the light, then twisted the socket out. When installing the new light, go in reverse order. This was my first attempt at a C5 driving light swap and it took me less than five minutes (including opening the bulb packaging). Good luck. Chris.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Exactly correct. No need to go from the bottom and it will take 2-5 minutes maximum. Lights up , bezel off, off connector, twist bulb and out......reverse to put them back in. Bulb is 885 but 893's will also fit. Bulbs wattage is between 37.5 and 50 watts for most products.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:43 AM
quenchmasterc5
Instructor

Default Re: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question (Killrwheels)

Thanks for the info. I am sure everybody appreciates good info like this, the forum is great.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It's much easier doing the fog lamps from the bottom. Once up on ramps, take off the access panel on the bottom of the fasica and then pop them out.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:49 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Re: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question (Killrwheels)

Exactly correct. No need to go from the bottom and it will take 2-5 minutes maximum. Lights up , bezel off, off connector, twist bulb and out......reverse to put them back in. Bulb is 885 but 893's will also fit. Bulbs wattage is between 37.5 and 50 watts for most products.
:iagree: I vote for going in from behind the headlight bezel (also use the 885 50w bulbs, instead of the 893 37w ones, easy upgrade for about the same price). It was less of a problem than going underneath (maybe I need to lose some weight :bb ). Even on rhino ramps, it is tight under a C5.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question (fdxpilot)

:iagree: I vote for going in from behind the headlight bezel (also use the 885 50w bulbs, instead of the 893 37w ones, easy upgrade for about the same price). It was less of a problem than going underneath
:iagree: With all the above agreements including the bulb upgrade:D :jester

I've done this several times and unless you have arms like Popeye or a fiddler crab you can get right to the back of the fogs through the top in just a couple of minutes.
If you take more than 15 minutes, even as a novice, you're around :D

[Modified by Cajun75, 6:21 AM 11/12/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question

Quick Reply: Fog/Driving Lights, "replacing the bulbs" question