C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!!

Old 11-16-2003, 12:36 AM
jnsfeeney
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!!

All - just a heads up on the Tech Tip posted by KenRobb a few weeks ago. For those of us with rocking seats (actually 'slipping' on tracks), his Tech Tip is dead on. Two points to add that you may find helpful:
1) I used a square 3/8 nut as the spacer to fill in the gap in the housing that causes the 'slippage' - just had to drill it out a bit and grind down thickness just a tad
2) Adjust your seats to their highest position before removing from car - this leaves the most clearance for accessing the Torx machine screw at the back of each track.
Good luck for all of you w/rocking seats - no more 2x4's crammed behind seats. Fix it right for about $2 and 3 hrs. Thanks KenRobb!!! [IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (jnsfeeney)

Good to know the fix works. My seats aren't rocking....yet, but now I know there is a fix for a very common problem. :hurray: Good work guys! :chevy
Old 11-16-2003, 01:08 AM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Thanks so much for the tip!! Hey, could you post a link to the thread for the original Tech Tip? I can never find ANYTHING when I do a search for stuff on the forum. :nonod:

:thumbs:
Old 11-16-2003, 01:51 AM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (dads01dream)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=251&TopicID=1
Old 11-16-2003, 02:15 AM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (bowtiebandit)

Thank you! :cheers:
Old 11-16-2003, 09:28 AM
bigSS
Racer

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (dads01dream)

Which problem are you refering too?

I have a problem with my seats where the reclining mechanism will "jump" so that one side of the seat is further forward than the other side. VERY annoying. :mad
Old 11-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Topless
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08
Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (bigSS)

Which problem are you refering too?

I have a problem with my seats where the reclining mechanism will "jump" so that one side of the seat is further forward than the other side. VERY annoying. :mad

That's not the rocking seat problem.

There are two rocking seat problems.
1) Your seat slides back and forth while accelerating/decelerating.
2) Your seat tips back and forward when accelerating/decelerating.

It sounds like you've got a recliner problem.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I can't see any of the pics in the tech tips. Is it just me, or is anyone else having this problem? I'd love to try this on my driver's seat but the pics would really help.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:31 PM
BlueBlazer
Racer

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (Mark 84ltblu)

[QUOTE]I can't see any of the pics in the tech tipsQUOTE]

Mark: copy and paste the link on the page and wait a couple of sec. they will start loading up. I think this is my number 1 winter proj. http://js-x.com/robbs/ken/corvette/seat/

:cheers: to the author

[Modified by BlueBlazer, 3:33 PM 11/16/2003]
Old 11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (BlueBlazer)

Glad to see if works for someone else. As for pictures, I couldn't get them to post on the tip, so link works just fine (copy and paste the link). May try a thrid post with pictures if can get the first 2 tips deleted. Oh well. Ken
Old 11-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Admiral Fairway
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (kenrobb)

Thanks for the tip and the tech write up with pictures, this is most certainly going to be one of my over the winter projects. When I bought my '97 in may I shortly discovered that I had the lazy-boy option and thought I was screwed, because there was no way the General would fix it and I wasn't going to spend almost $800.00 for something that may come back again. The Corvette Forum comes through again. :hurray:
Old 11-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (BlueBlazer)

I can't see any of the pics in the tech tips

Mark: copy and paste the link on the page and wait a couple of sec. they will start loading up. I think this is my number 1 winter proj. [url=http://js-x.com/robbs/ken/corvette/seat/]http://js-x.com/robbs/ken/corvette/seat/
I can't see the pics either. Even after loading the above link.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (Eric Fischer)

http://js-x.com/robbs/ken/corvette/seat/
This is the link
It takes a while for pictures to load.

Pictures by themself are at http://www.js-x.com/~robbs/photos/in...eatTrackRepair

[Modified by kenrobb, 4:28 PM 11/18/2003]

[Modified by kenrobb, 4:32 PM 11/18/2003]
Old 11-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Road Warrior
Burning Brakes

CI 3, 4, 5, 6 & 10 Veteran

Default Re: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!! (kenrobb)

Gonna have to try this myself. :yesnod: Big thanks to kenrobb for figuring this out and sharing it with the forum! :thumbs:

Mike :cheers:
Old 11-14-2004, 08:39 PM
vdiblasi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Just repaired the rocking seat on my 98 coupe. The factory used a rubber spacer that was "u" shaped and wrapped both sides of the metal threaded block and was connected across the bottom. They should have used neoprene rubber, because the grease they used to lubricate the threaded rod reacted with the rubber spacer and slowly disolved it. That's why there is a black gooey mess when disassembled. The fix works. I used 3 3/8 inch washers that I ground the sides square and enlarged the hole slightly with a rat tail file.

Thanks Ken.

Victor Vette
The following users liked this post:
O'reano (03-17-2016)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey guys,

I just fixed my "rocking seats" this past Labor Day weekend using this method...follow link: http://www.lieblweb.com/c5seatfix.html

The seat tracks are like new now. I did both seats, 8 washers, in under three hours. Cost: $2.64 for the 8 nylon washers at ACE hardware..

Give it a try...it's not that difficult!

Mike
'99 Torch Red/Black M6 coupe
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

just make sure to put the threaded rod back into its correct side or you will end up with a seat that goes the opposite direction than the switch.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!!

Old 02-05-2014, 03:30 PM
BobS98
Advanced

Originally Posted by jnsfeeney
All - just a heads up on the Tech Tip posted by KenRobb a few weeks ago. For those of us with rocking seats (actually 'slipping' on tracks), his Tech Tip is dead on. Two points to add that you may find helpful:
1) I used a square 3/8 nut as the spacer to fill in the gap in the housing that causes the 'slippage' - just had to drill it out a bit and grind down thickness just a tad
2) Adjust your seats to their highest position before removing from car - this leaves the most clearance for accessing the Torx machine screw at the back of each track.
Good luck for all of you w/rocking seats - no more 2x4's crammed behind seats. Fix it right for about $2 and 3 hrs. Thanks KenRobb!!! [IMG][/IMG]
Suggestion on raising the seat if the motor is not working?
Bob
Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 PM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by vdiblasi
I Just repaired the rocking seat on my 98 coupe. The factory used a rubber spacer that was "u" shaped and wrapped both sides of the metal threaded block and was connected across the bottom. They should have used neoprene rubber, because the grease they used to lubricate the threaded rod reacted with the rubber spacer and slowly disolved it. That's why there is a black gooey mess when disassembled. The fix works. I used 3 3/8 inch washers that I ground the sides square and enlarged the hole slightly with a rat tail file.

Thanks Ken.

Victor Vette
Does any one have the exact dimensions of what the shims are supposed to be? I was going to machine some out of aluminum or delrin rather than making them on a trial and error basis. Thx.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM
grsweet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ;1545663492
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here in hopes that it will help some other C5 people! My driver's seat (while positioned all the way back) moves back and forth while accelerating/decelerating (there is some very bothersome "slop"). I know this is just a temporary fix, but it has worked for me every time........I run the seat forward a couple of inches, the run it back ALL THE WAY TO THE STOPS. This eliminates the slop and the seat is solid. And it stays that way until it gets moved again. Hope this technique will work for someone else. Let me know what you find out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 rocking seat fix - it works!!!