C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project!

I am currently building a 62' Chevy Two Nova Pro Touring Car that will be powered by a twin turbo 388 (all bore) LS1 engine. I just ordered a custom full frame from Art Morrison and was able to redraw there fabrication sheet into AutoCAD. Because everything is custom I need to design my own turbo system. I plan on duplicating the engine in CAD so I can fit the engine in this new chassis and layout the turbos and related parts in the computer. I was wondering if anyone may have a CAD file of such or would know where I could find it before I spend 4 hours drawing it up! Any technical buff's out there got anything??

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project! (9D9LS1)

I hope you're not going to try to duplicate the engine using AutoCAD. I cringe just thinking about it! Have you tried doing a Google search? I would guess that if it is available, it would be in a ProE, Catia, or UGS format.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project! (Dave68)

Why do you hope I don't duplicate this motor in CAD? I don't plan on drawing the whole motor just the the outside dimensions. Do you work with AutoCAD?? If you do you would know how easy it is too do If it comes down to it. I was just looking for an easy way out! Thanks for the leads!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:25 PM
RSVETTE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Work with AutoCad every day but......
structural not mechanical. I would like
to see that Cad file also.
:cheers:
Old 11-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Dave68
Race Director

I started using AutoCAD in 1985 and eventually started using the 3D functions (UCS-powered!). Of course, I never realized just how much easier mid-range solid-modeling programs were until I tried them. Now I will never use AutoCAD for anything except changing old 2D drawings for ECOs. My favorite program is IronCAD, which can be integrated with Rhino for designing almost anything with incredible ease.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project! (Dave68)

Dave,

Never heard of IronCAD.. I'll have to check it out. I started with AutoCAD 6 years ago, self taught, and never looked into other programs to know the difference. How are those other programs with respect to drawing 3D? AutoCAD is a pain. I only wanted to draw this project up in 2D for what I needed, however the 3D would be better.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:01 PM
hotrod_john
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try SolidWorks. We gave up on AutoCad 4 or 5 years ago. SolidWorks is much easier to do modeling in.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Default Re: Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project! (hotrod_john)

I did compare Solidworks to IronCAD a few years back and went with IronCAD for a few reasons. (When you have a chance, take a look at http://www.ironcad.com. On the left side of their main web page, you'll see images of my latest design - acoustic doppler instruments at RD Instruments- Click on the image and you'll be directed to my story.)

Not too long ago, Joe Greco (the resident CAD magazine's 3D guru) wrote an article called "Taking Stock of MCAD - Greco's picks for Bragging Rights" in which he picked the best mid-range MCAD programs for various catagories of tasks. (Cadence magazine, March, 2003)

No one MCAD program dominated the field. For example, ImpactXoft's IX SPeed has no rival for designing plastic parts, whereas for creating huge assemblies, Solidworks and SolidEdge earned the top slot.

IronCAD was top pick for "Conceptual modeling" and also for "Visualization" catagories, the two that I consider to be most important to me. The drafting king turned out to be SolidEdge and industrial design went to Think3.

Most of the programs require that you constrain dimensions and are history-based, meaning that if you design an assembly, anyone else may have a heck of a time figuring out what you did before altering anything. IronCAD gives you incredible freedom if desired. It utilizes what they call a "TriBall" that can move, copy, mirror, rotate any object in real time - a HUGE advantage over any other program's methods of manipulating objects.

Many of the other programs have more bells and whistles, but if you want to turn a concept into reality, IronCAD has no equal.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project!

Quick Reply: Looking for CAD file of a complete LS1 for a project!