C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question??? Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Clutch Question??? Help Please!

Here we go guys, when the car is cold (first started) for about 15-20 of driving the clutch petal has what seams like 1-1/2" - 2" of free travel at the top of the petal but works fine otherwise. It will slip if you stand on it and grab 2nd and you can slip it out of gear and pump the clutch and the play disappears, but then comes back.

But after it has has a chance to warm up the clutch returns to normal play at the top 1" or less, and it will grab no matter how hard it's shiffted.

I've topped of the fluid, it really wasn't low.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would really hate to smoke a clutch out of my own stupidity.

Thanks,

Rob :jester
Old 12-04-2003, 06:27 PM
1hkdup996spd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Question??? Help Please! (Not Red Rob)

I notice the same thing too even though I have a spec stage III. I have no clue what it is. :confused:
Old 12-04-2003, 07:36 PM
VERYSOON
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Re: Clutch Question??? Help Please! (Not Red Rob)

The first thing that comes to mind is that air has been introduced into the system. If you have not done anything to the system lately it may be that the seals on your slave are degrading. Occaisionally, they can suck air back in, however, you should see some small leak of fluid around it. Also could be a slight leak at the clutch "master cylinder" (for lack of a better term). Try bleeding things before digging in further, and check for any small leaks.
Only trouble with this thought is that usually air in the system makes it hard to DISENGAGE the clutch, rather than engage it.
Let me know what you find.
g

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Question??? Help Please!

Quick Reply: Clutch Question??? Help Please!