C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:46 PM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued

Just got off the phone with AC Delco: the 75P-7YR AGM battery is discontinued. Apparently, not enough sales for this advanced (Absorbed Glass Mat), lightweight battery. I weighed the old one at 33lbs and the Optima Red Top (75/86) at 34lbs. The closest AC Delco match is the 75-7YR (Professional Series, as opposed to the 75P-7YR Professional Platinum Series). The 75-7YR is maintenance free and 735 CCA, but spillable (can't tip over), and is estimated to weigh around 35.5lbs (I didn't weigh it).

Thus, the closest match to the original lightweight, non-spillable battery is the Optima Red Top 75/86 (CCA @ 720). While ~1lb heavier than the original AC Delco AGM, it has a much better CCA at 720 as opposed to 500 CCA (the 75P-7YR was rated at 550 CCA).

While at the dealer, I checked an '04 Z06 on the lot: it had an 86-6YR, non-maintenance free battery (you can add water), with the old-style top posts.

AC Delco did verify that they cancelled the UPF UltraGuard Gold oil filters, then brought them back due to Corvette/car-club demand. Perhaps the same could happen with the AGM batteries. Otherwise, the Optima Red Top 75/86 is the closest match.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:59 PM
slong
Melting Slicks

Default Re: AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued (johnC5)

Nice work on all your info. I heard the red top was one of the best batteries for high-end stereo usage also. :cheers:
Old 12-09-2003, 05:08 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued (slong)

Nice work on all your info. I heard the red top was one of the best batteries for high-end stereo usage also. :cheers:
I thought that was the yellow one. :confused:
Old 12-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Mag Red Monster
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued (c5chris)

You're right but I did just buty a red top for my ride last night. Hard to believe the original battery lasted 5 years.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:53 PM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued (c5chris)

The Yellow Tops are deep cycle: they handle frequent charge/discharge well, whereas the Red Tops are best for (engine) starter applications (and can be damaged/life-shortened if they are discharged too much).

In addition to the 720CCA RC90 75/86 (or 75/35, could be called 75/86/35: size class) ~33.1lb (I measured 34lbs) Red Top, Optima also sells a ~38.8lb 800CCA RC 110 34/78 (larger size) Red Top.

The deep cycle Optima Yellow Top is a 34/78 size battery weighing ~43.8lbs, with a 750CCA and RC120. The deep cycle batteries can be drained to very low levels, many times, and still be recharged OK. This would work well when running a powerful sound system while the car is not running. You won't want to use a normal starter battery for that application (such as the Red Top).

For those not into the jargon: CCA = Cold Cranking Amps (a higher number is considered 'better', giving more cranking power (generally resulting in a bigger, heavier battery with more cells), and RC = Reserve Capacity (in minutes, based on a standard benchmark).

Optima specs, info here: http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/index.asp
(Look under 'Starter' and 'Deep Cycle').

Also, the factory new car warranty on the starter battery (C5/Z06) is 36mo/36Kmiles. If the AGM (or other type) fails, you can get it replaced under warranty. I believe I read a post where someone replaced their stock (AGM?) with an Optima Red Top and got it paid for under warranty. Check with your local dealer (since the OEM AGM is no longer available from AC Delco).

[Modified by johnC5, 3:01 PM 12/9/2003]
Old 12-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued (johnC5)

Thanks... Maybe I'll get a decent battery when I return the POS Delco... :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued

Quick Reply: AC Delco 75P-7YR AGM Battery Discontinued