C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deck lid won't pop up far enough.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:09 PM
ez
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deck lid won't pop up far enough.

When I pop the deck lid on my '02 convertable, it no longer opens enough to get my fingers in to lift it. I lubricated the friction points, but that didn't help.
When I took it to the dealer, they turned the rubber stops. That made it pop up higher, but it also made the lid too high when it was closed, so I put them back to where the deck is flush.

Anyone know of a fix for this?
Old 01-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Bob50th
Pro

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (ez)

I am assuming you are refering to the trunk lid?
If so i have the same problem. But no solution just additional observations.
Summertime it is not an issue but as the temperature droped the lid did not pop up as far so I am digging my fingernails under it to lift it.
Since it seems to be temperature related IMO it must be the oil in the lid lifts that is too viscous.
:flag
Old 01-03-2004, 09:30 PM
ez
Pro

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (Bob50th)

Yes, it is the trunk lid.
Sounds logical, although, I'm in Florida. Today it was 80, and I still had the same problem.
Thanks for the response.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:30 PM
stros
Instructor

same problem on my 98 vert trunklid. Love to know a fix for this one as well. Been using my fingernails to open it for quite some time now. I still can't imagine that they'd really design a trunk that can only open with fingernails. I have the problem year-round - not just winter :smash:
Old 01-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same problem here on my '02 Vert. Happens year round for me too but I'm in FL just like you.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:42 PM
ez
Pro

Has anyone tried replacing the hydrolic struts?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Blorton
Pro

Has anyone tried replacing the hydrolic struts?
That's what I've been meaning to do in my FRC, as I have the same problem. I'm sure that'll correct the problem.

Dan
Old 01-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I pop the deck lid on my '02 convertable, it no longer opens enough to get my fingers in to lift it. I lubricated the friction points, but that didn't help.
When I took it to the dealer, they turned the rubber stops. That made it pop up higher, but it also made the lid too high when it was closed, so I put them back to where the deck is flush.

Anyone know of a fix for this?

Spray the entire gasket with silicone so it doesn't stick to the lid. Then screw the rubber feet out just enough to have very slight pressure but not enough to cause any distorsion on the edges.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:48 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WD-40 on the electric latch release mechanism took care of mine.

Have read of a couple latch spring replacements, too.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Mine too. My solution (as suggested to me by the previous owner) is to just open / close one of the doors, and sure enough, the air pressure pops it open every time. I had thought about lubing the seals as well, but haven't tried it. If that doesn’t work, I'm thinking you'd end up replacing the lid struts w/ new ones every year, as a "maintenance" item. I think I'll save the $$ and use the door open / close method.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Blu Mi C5
Instructor

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (Dan_the_C5_Man)

EZ I had the same problem on my 2002 vert and it was like that right off the show room floor. The problem is not with the struts, it is with the insufficient design of the spring in the latch. I used to be a latch engineer (sounds exciting I know) and this problem is common, there is always a compromise to closing force and to deck lid "pop-up". Anyway, a good solution to this problem is to install an actuator to push up on the deck lid when you push the unlatch button. I installed one on my vert and it works great! It pops up the lid about two inches. The only problem is that the actuator that I used is not available for purchase as of yet.(As far as I know) I can try to do some research for you on this particular actuator or you can try to find one of your own. By the way, to install my actuator I had to cut a small hole in the metal latch bracket and in the carpet next to the hole for the striker.

I know that doesn't help much but maybe that will get you thinking in the right direction.
Paul :cheers:
Old 01-04-2004, 07:11 AM
sebringsilver97coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (Blu Mi C5)

the hatch on my coupe, when th etemp is warm, will pop up nicely but when its colder outside, ive noticed i hit the release button and it kinda sticks a bit then slowwwwly creeps up then pops up. gess its the struts or weatherstrip as stated above. illl play with mine sometime.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:30 AM
C4TOMCAT
Drifting

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (sebringsilver97coupe)

I have noticed on my brothers 97 that the coupe lid will always pop up fine when you close the door and allow the air in the car to raise it after pulling the release button. If we close the door slowly...then it is hard to get your hand under the lid. temp seems to affect it as well but in Fl. it seems to work most of the time..hope this helps. tom
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (C4TOMCAT)

I have noticed on my brothers 97 that the coupe lid will always pop up fine when you close the door and allow the air in the car to raise it after pulling the release button. If we close the door slowly...then it is hard to get your hand under the lid. temp seems to affect it as well but in Fl. it seems to work most of the time..hope this helps. tom
:iagree:
Thats what I do with mine, but here is what GM says to do for the fix.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=209
Old 01-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Bob50th
Pro

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (runamuk)

:iagree:
Thats what I do with mine, but here is what GM says to do for the fix.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=209
Thanks,
My vert has done it since it was new but is worse on the cooler days. With winter here it does not pop enough to get a fingernail under it, and when I close the door the vert lid puffs up.
I am not using it in the winter but I will have to do something this summer. The GM fix sounds ok but if the springs are too weak then it will be a recurring problem.
Thanks again :flag
Old 01-04-2004, 10:34 AM
George Cooper
Burning Brakes

Don't replace the spring. After you get it off per the GM instructions, straighten out the piece that protrudes under the latch using a vice and pliers. The re-install. This will cause it to exert more force when the latch is released.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Bob50th
Pro

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (George Cooper)

Ok, I will try it.
Thanks
Bob :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Deck lid won't pop up far enough.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:51 AM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, when it happens to me (40* and below, usually), I just take my key very gently under the back ledge, and it pops up to the normal height.

-J
Old 01-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (JakeL)

The problem is, that when released the latch itself doesn't retract quickly enough. If you spray WD-40 into the latch assy. on either side of the latch itself you should be good to go. I also sprayed all hinge points. About 6 months later it started again so I sprayed again and it's been great and that was a year ago. Good luck. And let us know if you got it fixed. :thumbs: :seeya
Old 01-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Deck lid won't pop up far enough. (Stock Man)

The problem is, that when released the latch itself doesn't retract quickly enough. If you spray WD-40 into the latch assy. on either side of the latch itself you should be good to go. I also sprayed all hinge points. About 6 months later it started again so I sprayed again and it's been great and that was a year ago. Good luck. And let us know if you got it fixed. :thumbs: :seeya
:iagree: I use the WD40 or similar lube method and it works pretty good for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deck lid won't pop up far enough.