Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-18-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
mowrey96
CF Senior Member

Default Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque?

Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP # and/or torque?

I assume that it would, but thought I would ask.

:steering:

[Modified by mowrey96, 7:11 PM 1/18/2004]
mowrey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
ROD BROWN
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (mowrey96)

No,sir.Changing the gear ratio will not increase your horsepower.It allows you yo use your power at different ranges. :chevy :chevy :flag :chevy :chevy
ROD BROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
WALLstAL
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (mowrey96)

Yes it does! I dynoed over 350 before I went from 3.42's to 3.73's, now I am around 340.
WALLstAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
C5 StockSwap
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Send a message via AIM to C5 StockSwap Send a message via MSN to C5 StockSwap
Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (wallstAL)

Quote:
Yes it does! I dynoed over 350 before I went from 3.42's to 3.73's, now I am around 340.
Yep, you will lose RWHP going to taller gears. But, it sure doesn't feel like it!!!!
C5 StockSwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
jmzvet
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (C5 StockSwap)

Can anyone explain the reason for this?
jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #6
knewblewkorvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (jmzvet)

ttt, since I would like to know also :confused:
knewblewkorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #7
Billy182
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (jmzvet)

Quote:
Can anyone explain the reason for this?
That's an easy one: More friction loss :yesnod:
Billy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
SQEZN BI
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (C5 StockSwap)

Your damn skippy. You do dyno lower #'s, but a dyno is not the street. Your not turning rollers on the street via rotating mass. back in the day a buddy had a tunnel rammed 327 with two 600 cfm holleys solid cam etc, we couldn't get it to stop boging on the dyno when we shifted it but on the street there was nothing but power.
SQEZN BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:28 PM   #9
Vette Lag
CF Senior Member

Satankachoo

Changing to a lower gear, 3.73, 4.10. or higher, increases the torque multiplication force applied to your rear wheels, but lessens the horsepower. Lower gears increase the rate at which power is applied, i.e., faster acceleration. Going to a higher gear reduces the rate of change , but increases the amount of power (power is a function of time) that can be put down, faster top speed, less change of rate (acceleration). It is just a simple engineering trade-off associated with auto dynamics.
Vette Lag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
LittleBoyBlu99
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (Vette Lag)

Quote:
Changing to a lower gear, 3.73, 4.10. or higher, increases the torque multiplication force applied to your rear wheels, but lessens the horsepower. Lower gears increase the rate at which power is applied, i.e., faster acceleration. Going to a higher gear reduces the rate of change , but increases the amount of power (power is a function of time) that can be put down, faster top speed, less change of rate (acceleration). It is just a simple engineering trade-off associated with auto dynamics.
:iagree: :hurray: :hurray:
LittleBoyBlu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:26 PM   #11
NEPTUNEBILL
CF Senior Member

I think it also has to do with your 1 to 1 final drive ratio--bottom line no it does not affect your hp or tq it only appears to because it distorts the dyno readings, dyno in 3rd gear than dyno in 5th and see the diff-342 to 373 has shown about an 11rwhp loss, to 390s about 15 and 410s about 20---
NEPTUNEBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:45 AM   #12
FRISKY
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Yes RWHP/RWTQ will change.

The engine will still be producing the same power, but when you go to a lower differential gear, the dyno will always show more torque and less horsepower.
FRISKY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:51 AM   #13
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00

Interesting responses. Didn't know you would lose HP, but it does make sense.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #14
Mitch Alsup
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (JDs00PewterCoupe)

With taller rear gears, the RWHP 'sees' more of the rotational inertia (of engine and driveline) than with standard gears. So, just like the HP numbers out of 1st and 2nd gears are lower than the HP numbers out of 4th, taller rear gears opperate similarly.
Mitch Alsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
ArKay99
CF Senior Member

HP is a measure of work done over time. Torque is instantaneous twisting force. So, with 4:10 gears the engine will have to do a little more work to move the wheels the same distance is would for 3:42 gears. Torque, on the other hand, will increase because the instantaneous twisting force of the bigger axle gear will be greater for the same amount of force applied to the pinion. You can gage it by the length of the skidmarks it puts in your shorts after you put 4:10's in. :reddevil
ArKay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:38 PM   #16
Mike Mercury
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (NEPTUNEBILL)

Quote:
but a dyno is not the street.
ding... ding... ding; we have a winner!
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #17
STAGED
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (Mike Mercury)

My theoretical view: I believe with a smaller pinion gear relative to the ring gear, one has smaller area of instantaneous contact for given load. This leads to thinner film thickness of the lubricant. Thinner film thickness for given speed leads to higher velocity gradients across the gear lubricant. Higher velocity gradients for given viscosity means more shear losses. And that COULD explain the hp loss, yet not enough to offset the increased torque multiplication of a higher ratio gearset at lower wheel or road speeds.
STAGED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #18
90 droptop
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (ArKay99)

Quote:
You can gage it by the length of the skidmarks it puts in your shorts after you put 4:10's in. :reddevil
Now that is funny! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
90 droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:34 PM   #19
ArKay99
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (STAGED)

Quote:
My theoretical view: I believe with a smaller pinion gear relative to the ring gear, one has smaller area of instantaneous contact for given load. This leads to thinner film thickness of the lubricant. Thinner film thickness for given speed leads to higher velocity gradients across the gear lubricant. Higher velocity gradients for given viscosity means more shear losses. And that COULD explain the hp loss, yet not enough to offset the increased torque multiplication of a higher ratio gearset at lower wheel or road speeds.
Gearing is simply a matter of leverage. Albeit, continuous. :)
ArKay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #20
Midwayman
CF Senior Member

Send a message via ICQ to Midwayman Send a message via AIM to Midwayman
Default Re: Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #and/or torque? (ArKay99)

You realize of course that the gearing differences are accounted for on the dyno. The goal of course is to dyno with a overall drive ratio of 1:1 for the most accurate comparison, but you enter all the info into the dyno computer and it eliminates gearing from the equation. It my opinion that the small loses from gear changes are frictional due to the higher engine/gear box/ driveshaft speeds required for any wheel rpm.
Midwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:36 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Does changing the rear gear ratio change the RWHP #?

Tags
affect, c5, changing, corvette, gear, gears, hp, increased, lower, multiplication, performance, ratio, ratios, rear, torque