C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 08:56 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished

I got my Y2K, C5, MN6, home today from the shop after having it re-ringed. (12500 miles) I had a very trusted dealership bolt on my, kooks1 3/4 headers, X-pipe- GHL exhaust, LS6 manifold, 175 degree thermostat, and Vararam intake system, high flow duct.
Because of the new rings, I didnt get on the car to hard ( not much more than 3000 RPM ), but with the headers and GHLs im noticing ALOT more popping between shifts and deceleration. Maybe im noticing more because it's louder now, but I thought the X-pipe helped rid the popping. Does tuning the car help?
Has anyone with headers and GHLs or somewhat of the same set experiencing the same popping?

Im hoping to get a sound bit and upload it today with the new exhaust that my neighbor will learn to love!!! idle is sweet!

Old 03-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (phils C5 vette)

I still get some popping with my FLP setup. It not near as bad as when I had the stock setup on :seeya
Old 03-14-2004, 09:35 AM
vettatude
Racer

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (phils C5 vette)

I got a little at first when I put my supermaxx system on with the GHL. It went away. Now I get quite a bit of noise when the mufflers are still cold. If it get on it hard before they warm up I get a real raspy clatter out of them. Its actually kinda cool. But I'll get a pop on decel on rare occasion.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I loved the popping and expected the kooks headers and mid-pipe to tone it down. To my surprise it's pretty much the same. Nothing's wrong with your setup. Doing all those mods at once must be a real kick in the pants! :cheers:
Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (Cobra4B)

Popping on decel normally is caused from a lean A/F ratio at idle. Not lean as in bad either, have you been to any pro track events? most pop on decel, it's normal. Accept it - love it. :yesnod:
Old 03-14-2004, 10:59 AM
DNAST1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 266 Likes on 130 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C8) - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C6) - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (blazeone)

I have almost the same setup as you, but I have a blackwing. Before installing the Kooks headers, I had the magnaflow x-pipe, and the GHLs with no popping. When I installed the headers along with their x-pipe and Hi-flow cats which already come welded together, the popping is very appearent. Even when I first start up, there is "pop", and people asked me "what was that?" I just tell them that is the way it is. I wanted to reinstall my magnaflow x-pipe, but my local muffler shop said it was not worth the money of making new bungie holes for the 02 sensors in the x-pipe, and also weld the Hi-flow cats to the x-pipe, especially not knowing if this would fix the popping noise. I have not had it tune yet either, because I am waiting to install a cam first.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:50 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (DNAST1)

i guess I better learn to love it!!
Old 03-14-2004, 12:09 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

I had lots of popping when I installed my GHL's (with no headers)....eventually I installed an x-pipe which helped a little. Still pops but its not annoying like it used to be. Just be glad you already have the x-pipe. :cheers:

[Modified by PewterC5, 11:10 AM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 12:49 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (PewterC5)

I had lots of popping when I installed my GHL's (with no headers)....eventually I installed an x-pipe which helped a little. Still pops but its not annoying like it used to be. Just be glad you already have the x-pipe. :cheers:

[Modified by PewterC5, 11:10 AM 3/14/2004]
:confused: :skep: :skep:
Old 03-14-2004, 01:45 PM
ddv005
Instructor

It's the exhaust !!!!!!!!!

I have the Kooks Long tube setup with no CATS and a Z06 Exhaust on my 2001 Coupe, Vortex, Air Bridge and i Get NOOOOOOOOO POPS!!!!!!!!!

My Last Vette ( Also A 2001 Coupe ) Had Stock Headers, Cats and Corsa Exhaust :U and it popped like crazy
Old 03-14-2004, 02:50 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The popping is a byproduct of less backpressure in the exhaust system. When you are decelerating the injectors are not shut off unless you are declerating for a bit and from highway speeds. The injectors are 'dribbling' into the combustion chamber and with a low backpressure exhaust some of it gets into the exhaust where it ignites causing the pop. It's know as post ignition. I have Corsa's and the pop quite a bit. I have headers and an xpipe and I just had my car tuned and I still have it. I like it unless I'm driving past a cop and decelerating... :eek:
Old 03-14-2004, 04:07 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (ddv005)

Yes, it is the GHL's. Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear. I installed GHL's and had ton of popping so I decided to go back in and install an x-pipe. That helped quiet it down a little...now she is somewhat civilized sounding.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:58 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (PewterC5)

I drive it on the HWY fore about an hour with no traffic between 70-95ish to have the car relearn the breathing process again. It was throught the mountains and when I got home, she seemed a better, not as much popping and much better idle. I kept it under 3500 RPM in each gear, and it was killing me. The car really wanted to run. I think it was more the Vararam and 45 degrees in NY today. I got home and treated her to a washing. I have some before and after sound bites. How do I up load them??
Old 03-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

. How do I up load them??
same way you do pics...but you use the "url" option to direct us to wear the sound files are loaded. you need a host to store the sounds for you jus tlike a host will host pics for you
Old 03-14-2004, 10:02 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished (eamador11)

roger that

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished

Quick Reply: Kooks headers, popping sound, and bolt ons finished