C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear and DTE Differential Strut

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear and DTE Differential Strut

I Took it for a drive yesterday after my install of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Differential, DTE Differential Strut and LAPD Clutch Bleeder Extension Line.

First the Exedy Clutch:
Man this thing is nice, there is no chatter at all, it pretty much leaves from a stop like the stock clutch (unlike the RAM w/910 disc I had). I think the pedal pressure is a little more than stock (not sure, it's been a while since I drove a stock clutch) but it's a lot less than the RAM VDS I had before. It seems to hold the power real good, while going through the gears if I shift fast it hits hard, I can feel it through the drivetrain. Install was easy, the smaller diameter of the pressure plate makes it easier to install. Just line up the 2 discs with the pilot bearing and torque the bolts. There were also arrows to line up the pieces because the were factory balanced. It seemed a little harder to get the input shaft of the torque tube lined up because it's going through 2 clutch disc hubs, but it went in. Thanks to Bill (NeptuneBill) for all his info on this clutch, and to Tom at Carolina clutch for a great deal!!
The track will be the ultimate test. It opens here the 27th of this month.

Now on to the DTE 3.90 gear:
I sure can tell a difference. It pulls harder in the first 3 gears for sure, I didn't go full throttle yet (that was hard) because it's not broke in yet. But, I can tell I will like it much better that the 3.42 gears. Again the track will be the real test, to see what RPM I'm going through the traps at.

The DTE differential Strut (brace):
It is a very well engineered product. This thing is beefy. The brackets are all very thick, the bolts were all the right dia. and length. The only problem I ran into with the install was some exhaust interference. My mid section of pipe is 3" and custom built. it was hitting on the bottom of the forward brackets, so I had to clearance them a little (no biggie), there is plenty of material in that area. I called Phil and told him, he said it was fitted to several 2 1/2" systems, so some of you that have a 3" system might have to do the same as I did. Nice unit, it should improve the strength and life of the transmission and differential for sure!!

The LAPD clutch bleeder extension: This thing went in real easy (don't forget to move the washer to the other side of the fitting) I made sure the surface of the slave cylinder was flat so the washer would seal well, then bench bleed the whole unit and installed it on the torque tube. I noticed that to point the line forward in the direction of the engine compartment, the 90 degree bend on the end of the line would be hitting on the bell housing, so I bent it a small amount (to about 85-86 degrees) and it cleared fine. The bleeder end of the line is now just below the brake master cylinder, and easy to get to for future fluid changes. Since I now have a clutch I think will last a long time I will be changing fluid BEFORE clutches.

Overall a very nice group of parts to install. Thanks to forum venders Dynotech Engineering, The LAPD.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

:cheers: Excellent. I can't wait to get my car back with the Exedy..........Great review. Could the Exedy be the answer C5's have been looking for? I sure hope so. :cheers:
Old 03-16-2004, 01:39 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear

I knew you would love this clutch and very soon several other members will be singing its praises--including Mean Green, Buckmaster and several others that have inquired--this clutch will be the top of the line clutch system for our cars----an impressive assortment of goodies there Brian glad you were stroking that check-you have really bolstered the drive train-I really want one of the cradles--tell me about the DTE rearend--are both shafts hardened any additonal beefup work on ring and pinion etc--congrads on the new toys--I may have to have an extra part time job to recover from my last round---
Old 03-16-2004, 01:40 PM
dahoof
Burning Brakes

Default Re: First impressions

Thanks for the reviews!!! :thumbs:
Old 03-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch,

:thumbs: :cheers:
Old 03-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear (NEPTUNEBILL)

tell me about the DTE rearend--are both shafts hardened any additonal beefup work on ring and pinion etc
It's just the stage 2 with the hardened passenger side output shaft.
I think that brace is the key thing to have :yesnod: We'll see :D
Old 03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
EFI-1
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear (Flyin'Brian)

Great reviews. Thanks! :cheers:
Old 03-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear and DTE Differential Strut

:thumbs:
Times man times! :lol:
Pulls a little w/ a 3.90 eh :D
Old 03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: (ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE)

:thumbs:
Times man times! :lol:
Pulls a little w/ a 3.90 eh :D
I hear ya man, stupid track won't open. It's been 60 degrees here this year more times than I can count on my fingers and we all just have to wait :rolleyes:

I made a couple of runs before it closed last year in november, ran 11.4 at 126 with a 1.84 60' before my clutch said no more. So I know there's 10s there, with the 3.90s and this awesome clutch, it will happen....cant wait :steering:
Old 03-16-2004, 05:10 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear (Flyin'Brian)

I have the hardened shaft so you saved me some money--tranny struts here I come--
Old 03-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Mr Clutch
Heel & Toe

Default First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear and DTE Differential Strut (Flyin'Brian)

Brian
This is a very similar response from those using the twin. They can't believe how smooth it is on the street yet how it responds when asked to. Glad you like it.

[Modified by Mr Clutch, 11:31 PM 3/16/2004]
Old 03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Hey Tom, good to see ya out there and thanks for getting me the clutch on time and a great price :) :cheers:

Brian, great feedback and good talking to you :D...I can't wait to feel this thing 1st hand, I should have my car back this Friday, then I just need to break it in before we race on the 27th :D
Old 03-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Default Re: (Mean Green)

Hey Tom, good to see ya out there and thanks for getting me the clutch on time and a great price :) :cheers:

Brian, great feedback and good talking to you :D...I can't wait to feel this thing 1st hand, I should have my car back this Friday, then I just need to break it in before we race on the 27th :D
:cheers: Me too.......I WANT MY CAR :D I can;t wait to drive it with this clutch and some other goodies :D
Old 03-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: (Buckmaster)

The Tampa area needs to be on the lookout for a speeding green bullet this weekend :D
Old 03-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Default Re: (Mean Green)

The Tampa area needs to be on the lookout for a speeding green bullet this weekend :D
:eek: :D :cheers:
Old 03-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: (Buckmaster)

Btw, how much did it cost? Sounds nice but I hear they were super $$$.

Dope
Old 03-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch,

Great reviews. Thanks! Hopefully I'll have mine soon.
:D

Get notified of new replies

To First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear and DTE Differential Strut

Old 03-17-2004, 02:04 AM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch

What's a ballpark price for this clutch?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:20 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch (HIGHRPM)

Its around $1700 on the couple sites I have found it.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:25 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch (kumar75150)

Congrats on the next round of mods Brian!! :smash: :smash:

The Exedy is definitely next on my clutch list after this RAM dies.

3.90s are definitely on my list in the next while, although I will probably wait until my 3.42s with 75K miles on them die :)

I look forward to seeing what you can do with this thing at the track with some nice traction. I don't think you will have a problem blowing that 1.8 60foot from last time away.

Quick Reply: First impressions of Exedy Twin Plate Clutch, DTE 3.90 Gear and DTE Differential Strut