C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:13 PM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do?

This is in a GTO but the motor is the same. My freeze plug is leaking coolant. It's the plug in the very front of the passenger side head. I'm hoping they can replace the plug. Any of you with leaking freeze plug experience is it basically just a straight plug change? I'm worried they're going to do something drastic like yank the head or swap the whole damn motor.... This stinks. I've had 3 LS1 cars and this is the first one to give me any problems with the motor. :nonod:

[Modified by 1COOLPC, 7:13 PM 4/9/2004]
Old 04-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (1COOLPC)

Replace the plug, what else? :yesnod:

All the best.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:25 PM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (Avanti)

Replace the plug, what else? :yesnod:

All the best.
I hope! That would only take a day.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:41 AM
7.0sc SuperVette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Sunny Earthquake Country, USA On the Left Coast (which is becoming more Right!)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (1COOLPC)

If you can't lay it up for a while "Bars Leak" will probably do the job and may be a permanent fix!
Roy
Old 04-10-2004, 12:49 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (7.0sc SuperVette)

If you can't lay it up for a while "Bars Leak" will probably do the job and may be a permanent fix!
Roy
I think I will give that a try. I've never had to use that kind of thing before. You just drop it in the fluid and run the car? How long until it is fixed? How much do I use?

Really anything is better than letting the Goat out of my sight.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:23 AM
7.0sc SuperVette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Sunny Earthquake Country, USA On the Left Coast (which is becoming more Right!)

I just used it on a rental car that I didn't want to take the time to turn in to get another. It started to leak and formed a dripping stream when I stopped. I bought the thick grey top of the line stuff (that brand has several sizes and qualities).
I installed it according to instructions on the label, drove a few miles and voila-no leak!
I've used it on some big leaks, a "freeze plug" should be a piece o' cake! :D
Roy
Old 04-10-2004, 01:32 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (7.0sc SuperVette)

No long term ill affects for the engine? Is this something you would do to your own car? Thanks for the info.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:06 AM
7.0sc SuperVette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes I have, yes I would!
Roy
If you are worried, you can always flush it out when the dealer fixes it-but I think in the case of a "freeze plug", It will be permanent!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:23 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Bars Leak is fine for a rental car, but I wouldn't put it in my C5, or your $35k GTO.

Take it to the dealership, request a rental car, and have it fixed right. I wouldn't ride with you through the Mojave desert on the way to Vegas if I knew you had a jury-rigged hack patch in there, I don't like walking the highways.

You've got a nice new car, take it back and have it fixed until you are satisfied.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:35 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (Tony_C5_04)

There is another thread discussing this problem and one person responding to it states himself to be on the assembly line of GM product. He says that not a single car leaves the plant without stop leak of some sort going into the coolant and if it wasn't done that there would be a lot more leaks in cooling systems than there are now. So, if he is telling the truth, this is really doing what the factory does when they manufacturer the car.

My debate is this, hand my car over to the dealership and let them do whatever it is they will do to my car.. This is not always a good thing.. Or, I can add some stop leak and take my chances.

The assembly line guy said to drop two tabs of the stuff in my coolant. But he didn't say two tabs of what... I would like to find and use what they use during manufacturer.

So, the bottom line is that all of our cars have stop leak in them already or we would all be leaking. According this this guy anyway.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:44 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Here is the quote from a GM employee.

I work for GM and every car that comes down the assembly line gets 1 to 2 tabs of stop leak put in the neck of the thermostat housing before any water or anti-freeze is added. I would get some Aluma-seal if you can find it and try that first.
His profile is;

Interests:
Harley Davidsons/Corvette
General Motors Vehicle Manufacturing

I'm also going to add that I bet money the dealership is just going to take my car, drive it fast to lunch, hard to the grocery store and then add a tube of stop leak before they give it back.

[Modified by 1COOLPC, 11:45 PM 4/9/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 02:48 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

I highly doubt that is true, but you never know. Chevrolet explicitly says not to add anything other than the fluid they use to the cooling system.

In any case, look at it this way, if you let the dealer do it and 10k miles from now the motor blows up, they can't tear it apart and blame you for adding sand/clay to your cooling system. This is a simple fix, and if you have any halfway competent dealers in your area (you don't say where you are and put 11111 for your zip code), you shouldn't hesitate to go in there and have it done under warranty.

The other thing is that when you take it in for service you are creating a record of the problem, so if it persists and you end up with a car that has lots of problems you are more likely to get a GM Regional Serivce Managers approval for repairs to keep you happy.

In the end it's your car and your money, but my dealership is very Corvette centric and Mod friendly.

Edit:

Call some Chevy dealers in your area that have a good work history with Corvettes, since the pontiac dealers are new to the LS1 motors.

[Modified by Tony_C5_04, 11:49 PM 4/9/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 02:52 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

I'm also going to add that I bet money the dealership is just going to take my car, drive it fast to lunch, hard to the grocery store and then add a tube of stop leak before they give it back.

Okay, you need a new dealership then.

My dealer gave me a z06 as a rental for my Coupe when it was in the shop for 2 days. Service is a money making department for the dealership, if they aren't up to your standards find another.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:52 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (Tony_C5_04)

If I had more faith in my dealerships I would jump all over it but I don't. My gut feeling tells me I'm going to get stop leak no matter what and I'm going to have people joy riding my GTO around town. I have to hash this over the weekend and see how I feel on Monday. Going to try and research the stop leak going in at the factory too.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:58 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

man, this is the most replies to one post from me ever...... ;)

Like I said, even if they put in the sand/clay, at least you have a place to point the finger if something happens later and they blame that as the problem.

Driving it hard? I used to worry about that, but you should know that there's really no worry about harm to the motor. Again, find a good high-end dealer that specializes in Corvettes.

Good luck on our decision, try to get some sleep this weekend. ;)
Old 04-10-2004, 03:05 AM
Old Timer
Pro

There was a recent post about LS1 coolant leaks which discussed the factory practice of using GM sealant additives on the assembly line. A TSB was also posted which stated that GM had DISCONTINUED this practice on corvettes and some other aluminum engines.
If you decide to take it to the dealer, put a small identifying mark on the freeze plug and then you can keep them honest about what they did.
If you're worried about them thrashing the car use LS1 edit, Predator, or hypertech to set the rev limiter to 2500 RPM. :D :D :D

[Modified by Old Timer, 8:11 AM 4/10/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 03:23 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (Old Timer)

Good ideas Old Timer. :)

I did a little poking around and found this paragraph regarding a leak in the same place on another GTO.

Took mine to the dealer to get the coolant seep checked out, again it was hardly anything, but jsut enough to see it. They contacted the rep and this was the third one to have it. Supposedly the freeze plugs weren't installed deep enough. The corrective measure was to press the plug in to the proper depth and add two tabs of Bars Leaks (I told you so!, in the other thread that is), I'm ok with that. If the problem returns the next step is to put an oversized freeze plug in. I was told that the first car that had the problem they R&R'd the cylinder head. That I don't want! Looks better, but now I can smell the coolant, hopefully it is from coolant that spilled during the repair.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do?

Old 04-10-2004, 05:15 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Well here's what I did at 2:08 in the morning. I can't sleep when things are messed up. I went out and drained the coolant. I took off the bolts around the freeze plug that hold a ground wire. There were 2. I took off the belt and removed the tensioner pulley assembly as that will give me even more room. Then I took a 1/2" drive extension and lightly tapped on one side of the plug. As one side went in the other started coming out. Eventually I had the plug half in and half out. I was nervous that it would go all the way inside the head. Then I wiggled it out with my fingers and had a freeze plug in my hand and a hole in my brand new car's cylinder head.

So I sized up the scene, I looked at how thick the freeze plug was and how thick the cylinder head walls were. I determined how far in the freeze plug show go to get 100% contact with it's edges. Then I painted the edges of the freeze plug with RTV and stuck it back in by hand as far as I could get it. I put a shallow socket that is nearly the size of the hole and tapped that thing in to a depth that seemed acceptable to me. I put all the parts I took off back on the engine.

I'm letting it sit for a while now so the RTV can set up. In the morning I will fill it back up with coolant and run the motor. I think it will be OK. I hope so, keep a good thought please.:blueangel:

Now I can get some sleep.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:23 PM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

Default Re: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do? (Old Timer)

Just for the record, here is the dealer's first fix. They gave these to me and my problem is on the computer. Otherwise they couldn't get to it for a week. If this doesn't work I take it back in.

Old 04-10-2004, 04:09 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see you back Bart. Going to go the C6?

Quick Reply: Leaking LS1 freeze plug, what do you think the dealer will do?