C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM : Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:08 AM
robert5168
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM : Body Control Module

I have a 99 Vette and was told by the dealer that my BCM lost its programming and needs to be replaced. I asked them to reprogrammed it, but was told that the BCM can not be reprogramed or reset. Is this true?

[Modified by Robert L Lucien Jr, 7:16 AM 4/15/2004]
Old 04-15-2004, 10:29 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: BCM : Body Control Module (Robert L Lucien Jr)

I have a 99 Vette and was told by the dealer that my BCM lost its programming and needs to be replaced. I asked them to reprogrammed it, but was told that the BCM can not be reprogramed or reset. Is this true? ......
Take a look at a copy of the Service Manual for your car. The 2003 Service Manual, page 8-508, contains instructions on programming the Body Control Module. When the BCM module is REPLACED it needs to be programmed with information about the RPO configuration of the car and country of sale. I don't see the difference between programming a new BCM and reprogramming your old module.

Also, if your ignition key is replaced, the BCM must be programmed to accept the resistance value of the new key. BCMs do get programmed.

Perhaps there is a miscommunication between you and the dealer. Perhaps the current BCM has a problem and will not accept programming.

Otherwise, I would look for another service facility.

Quick Reply: BCM : Body Control Module