C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs to get balanced when I replace the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 03:08 PM
JMon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default What needs to get balanced when I replace the clutch?

What needs to get balanced when I replace the clutch? I’m going to have the flywheel machined and reuse it.
Do I just need to be sure I get a balanced pressure plate or do I need to have just the flywheel balanced, or have them balanced together?
I assume I need to take off any flywheel weights that are on there.
Now if there is a weight on the flywheel, what is it counter balancing right now? The engine? Only the flywheel?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:29 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What needs to get balanced when I replace the clutch? (JMon)

The stock LS1/LS6 rotating assemblies are externally balanced. At the front with the damper, and if needed, at the rear with the flywheel. If you are just replacing the clutch you shouldn't need to balance anything. If you are replacing the clutch and pressure plate you should have the new pressure plate balanced to the old pressure plate. If you are changing the flywheel you should have the new pressure plate/flywheel assembly balanced to the old pressure plate flywheel assembly. When removing the flywheel, you should mark the position it comes off in to the cranckshaft and mount it in the exact same position or it will be out of balance. If you are having the flywheel resurfaced you probably won't need to have it rebalanced but as you take material off the flywheel you make it lighter. Probably not enough to make a difference, but you may want to verify the balance point and offset weight before you resurface and verify afterwards. Don't take the weights off the flywheel. Also, you may even find holes drilled into the back of it for counterbalance. Sorry for the long winded explanation. Just make sure the flywheel/pp assembly is exactly the same as when you removed it and you should be good to go. :)
Old 04-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Dave C. '04 Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What needs to get balanced when I replace the clutch? (ArKay99)

Actually, you really don't need to get the pressure plate balanced, as this is neutral balanced and not part of the balanced rotating assembly (it is technically, but not used during normal engine balancing).

The flywheel, if another stock GM one is used, should also be a bolt on. Although the engine is externally balanced, the flywheel's weights are cast in and the crank is balanced to match the flywheel. They don't add or take material off the flywheel for balancing.

If you're really **** about it then balancing everything would be the technically right way to do it, but really not worth a whole lot.

If you use an aftermarket flywheel, however, talk to the manufacturer to make sure they balance it to match the factory GM flywheel or you will have to either have your new flywheel matched to your old one (which most shops cannot do since it is counterweighted), or remove your rotating assembly and have the flywheel balanced to match the rotating assembly.

But just changing the clutch and pressure plate requires no balancing providing that they are neutral balanced.

And replacing your flywheel with another GM flywheel made for your car also usually requires no balancing. The weights are cast in on the side opposite the clutch face, so having the flywheel resurfaced will not require balancing either.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

[Modified by Dave C. '04 Z06, 10:24 PM 4/21/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To What needs to get balanced when I replace the clutch?

Quick Reply: What needs to get balanced when I replace the clutch?