C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/ 1644 PCM code and TCM No Comm.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:22 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Need help w/ 1644 PCM code and TCM No Comm.

Hey all -

with the coming of the summer months, it seems, so seems have returned my ABS/TC problems.

On the way to, and from, the Farmington ProSolo, my car turned on the "Service ABS/TC" message again on the DIC. This time I was ready, and pulled the codes.

The related codes seem to be a 1644 code from the PCM, which is"Delivered Torque Output Circuit ", and at the same time, the TCM comes up with "No Comm" and no codes are listed.

- The BCM throws a B0844 which is "BCM Temporarily Inhibit ABS ".
- The IPC threw a U1040H, which is "Loss of Communications with TCS"
- the RFA threw a U1064 - Loss of Communication with BCM
- and: U1096 - Loss of Communication with IPC

In remembering what folks have posted in the past, I recall Bill Dearborn saying that the '97's had a TCM problem, and it sounds like this might be what it is? If the TCM shut down, that would explain the PCM complaining about the Torque output circuit, and would explain the "loss of comm" codes that the other systems are complaining about in regards to the TCM.

Sounds like I need to see if I can find a new part number for anew TCM.

That said - where does the TCM live on the car?

-Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 06:23 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Need help w/ 1644 PCM code and TCM No Comm. (JakeL)

TTT :)

I went to the dealer and they gave me the PN for my EBTCM as 9355246, which is about $500 on GM Parts Direct. It shows as being located at the rear of the car, near the rear diff.

For grins, I had them look up the 98 PN, which is 9376711, and shows as being located near the *front* of the car? The labels on the parts were different, the 97 being "Electronic Brake control module" (EBCM) whereas the 98 and newer labels were "Electronic Brake and Traction Control Moudle" (EBTCM).

I will look under the rear of my car soon to figure out what PN is on the actual unit I have - they weren't able to tell me if that was an updated part or not.

SO...any ideas on what the issue may be? Seems to me it's either the EB(T?)CM, the PCM, or the wiring in between them.

Thanks for any help...

-Jake

Quick Reply: Need help w/ 1644 PCM code and TCM No Comm.