C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with code: P0410

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 06:43 PM
calee4nyaboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with code: P0410

Hi everyone!
I was driving my C5 the other day and the check engine light came on. I pulled the code through the DIC and it came up with P0410. The code chart says that means "AIR System -B"

I dont notice anything wrong what-so-ever with the way the car runs. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea what that was or if they've seen it?
Thanks!
John
Old 07-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help with code: P0410 (calee4nyaboy)

Hi everyone!
I was driving my C5 the other day and the check engine light came on. I pulled the code through the DIC and it came up with P0410. The code chart says that means "AIR System -B"

I dont notice anything wrong what-so-ever with the way the car runs. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea what that was or if they've seen it?
Thanks!
John
When the car starts up air is injected by ay an air pump into the exhaust headers for a short period of time. P0410 means that the air is not getting to either bank. This means either the hose of the air pump is clogged, the pump is inoperative, or there is an electrical fault.
I have not had to repair this on my car so that is about all I can tell you.

Here is some more info:

An AIR pump is used on this vehicle to lower tail pipe emissions on start-up. The PCM supplies a ground to the AIR pump relay, which energizes the AIR pump. The PCM monitors the HO2S voltages to diagnose the AIR system.

During the AIR test, the PCM activates the AIR pump during closed loop operation. When the AIR is activated, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltages and short term fuel trim values for both banks of the engine. If the AIR system is operating properly, the HO2S voltages should go low and the short term fuel trim should go high.

If the PCM determines that the HO2S voltages for both banks did not respond as expected during the tests, DTC P0410 sets. If only one sensor responded, the PCM sets either a DTC P1415 or P1416 to indicate on which bank the AIR system is inoperative.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:33 PM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help with code: P0410 (Richin Chicago)

Yeah, I've got this problem with my '99 too. I guess I will take mine in sometime this week so I can go through emissions and get my tags. Let me know what you find out if you get yours fixed before me.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:23 PM
calee4nyaboy
Instructor

Is the pump in question the one that is located underneath the left headlight? I am pretty sure this is the smog pump. Is this the one that is not getting enough air?

Also, I want to point out that I have a Donaldson Black wing air filter. Due to the design of this completely open type filter, (this might sound odd) I put a layer of aluminum foil over it because dirt, water and crud was getting all over the filter. I am not going to leave it there, it will just be there while I am doing some work on the car. I did drive the car with that on there because I wasnt ready to take it off because I am still not done doing some of the work.

I just wonder if this might be the cause of the issue?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-04-2004, 11:06 PM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

I have a hard time picturing how you could put foil over a Blackwing without restricting air flow!! I have a Vortech, so I don't know how/where the air pump pick-up tube and filter is attached with a Blackwing installation, but, of-course, if the air flow to the pump is restricted it would cause that code.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the pump in question the one that is located underneath the left headlight? I am pretty sure this is the smog pump. Is this the one that is not getting enough air?

Also, I want to point out that I have a Donaldson Black wing air filter. Due to the design of this completely open type filter, (this might sound odd) I put a layer of aluminum foil over it because dirt, water and crud was getting all over the filter. I am not going to leave it there, it will just be there while I am doing some work on the car. I did drive the car with that on there because I wasnt ready to take it off because I am still not done doing some of the work.

I just wonder if this might be the cause of the issue?

Thanks guys!
The small black hose that is on the left side of the engine and goes all the way up to the air intake feeds the air injection pump.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:34 PM
calee4nyaboy
Instructor

I know it's restricting air, but as i said, the foil is only there until i finish the work on the car. i just had it painted and i am going to water sand/polish the paint so the foil is not coming off until that is done.

Just kinda hard to believe it would actually restrict it THAT much. Almost seems like a foil wrapped Donaldson would flow about the same as a stock filter...lol
Old 07-05-2004, 09:21 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I installed my SC I reconnected the air pump incorrectly. I had to learn real quick how it works. To check the pump, when you initially start the engine the pump will turn on few a short time and then intermittently while you are driving. Start the engine and listen up by the drivers headlight. It is directly below the headlight. With the engine off, separate the large air hose under the hood on the left fender. there should be a splice you can pull apart. the start the engine and see if you can feel air flowing out. If you can't hear the pump or feel air flowing then the pump may be bad. I wonder if the O2 sensor is bad because the pump injects air and then measures oxygen content and if it comes on while driving this could be the problem.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:00 PM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help with code: P0410 (drcoffee)

OK, so the pump does run some while driving?? No one has mentioned that, but that would explain why the MIL came on in my car while I was driving, rather than during the first few minutes after start-up. And if it can indicate a bad oxygen sensor then that would explain why the pump and all seems to be working fine on my car, yet the light and code came on. However the car is running fine -- would it be if an oxygen sensor is bad??
Old 07-05-2004, 03:32 PM
calee4nyaboy
Instructor

Default Re: Help with code: P0410 (1g1yy)

As far as I know, my smog pump runs exactly as it should (running during start-up etc) My issue may very well be related to the foil over the air filter.

I cleared my code and will see if it comes back after driving the vehicle with no foil.

I honestly did not think that the foil would cause a MAJOR disruption to the air system because the whole underside of the filter is still completely open to the air since its not covered by the foil. Seems pretty coincidental to me.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:37 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know, my smog pump runs exactly as it should (running during start-up etc) My issue may very well be related to the foil over the air filter.

I cleared my code and will see if it comes back after driving the vehicle with no foil.

I honestly did not think that the foil would cause a MAJOR disruption to the air system because the whole underside of the filter is still completely open to the air since its not covered by the foil. Seems pretty coincidental to me.

The foil may have restricted the air to the air pump because the air pump draws air from the Blackwing filter, I believe. If the air pump was competing with the intake for air, the air pump may have been starved and triggered the code. Other than that, the foil should have no impact on the air pump or code.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with code: P0410

Quick Reply: Help with code: P0410