C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Front Headlight Won't Retract

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:51 AM
xavmit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Left Front Headlight Won't Retract

I have a 2000.

My left front headlight won't retract after I turn the light off on the stalk. Both go down and turn off but the left one comes back up about 80% of the way and stays up. When I turn the lights on again they both come up 100% of the way.

I've manually retracted it for now.

Has anyone had this problem and how is it fixed?

Thank you.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:38 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by xavmit
I have a 2000.

My left front headlight won't retract after I turn the light off on the stalk. Both go down and turn off but the left one comes back up about 80% of the way and stays up. When I turn the lights on again they both come up 100% of the way.

I've manually retracted it for now.

Has anyone had this problem and how is it fixed?

Thank you.
Do a search on my posts (archived) and you will find the fix to the winking headlight problem.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:22 PM
xavmit
Racer

The Corvette Action Center has the TSB # 00-08-42-002 which involves
adding three washers and replacing two insulators between the headlamp motor and headlamp.

I checked gmpartsdirect.com and the washers seem to be 2-3 dollars each. This seems high. How thick are these washers? Could I use any old washer with the proper thickness that costs 8 cents each at Home Depot?
Old 07-09-2004, 02:03 PM
VinnyG
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of getting new GM plastic insulators cut a couple of pieces of 5/16" fuel line to length and slip them on in place of the plastic. The rubber lasts much longer than the plastic and acts more like a bumper than just a stop.
The following users liked this post:
JJBean (03-01-2020)
Old 07-09-2004, 06:28 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by xavmit
The Corvette Action Center has the TSB # 00-08-42-002 which involves
adding three washers and replacing two insulators between the headlamp motor and headlamp.

I checked gmpartsdirect.com and the washers seem to be 2-3 dollars each. This seems high. How thick are these washers? Could I use any old washer with the proper thickness that costs 8 cents each at Home Depot?
Yes, that it what I did. I believe the were approximately .04" thick or so each. I think I used two at each of the three mounting bolt locations. Sure wish the archives were up and running as they contain all the details you need.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Common problem, I had it on my 2000 Hardtop. The guys posts are correct, I just replaced the stops, but in about six months it wore through them as well. I tried to order the "correct" washers from my local Chevy dealer but they could not get them--Chevy dealers in Jacksonville suck by the way, so I took the bolts off and went to Ace Hardware and bought the washers there. They are 6mm by the way. The goal is to put the tab into the middle of the stop, and the washers move the assembly over to do so, thus it won't wear through the stop. I actually stacked two washers per bolt (for a total of six washers on the three bolts) and that did the trick. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2020, 04:23 AM
JJBean
1st Gear

Default Best idea I’ve heard 😃

Originally Posted by VinnyG
Instead of getting new GM plastic insulators cut a couple of pieces of 5/16" fuel line to length and slip them on in place of the plastic. The rubber lasts much longer than the plastic and acts more like a bumper than just a stop.
best idea I’ve heard 😃

Get notified of new replies

To Left Front Headlight Won't Retract

Quick Reply: Left Front Headlight Won't Retract