C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery charging question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:13 PM
OrangeVegaGT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07
Default Battery charging question

The other day when I started by 6 month old 2500 mile vette I saw a brief "charging system fault" message on the DIC. I monitored the battery voltage and it seemed to be dropping into the low 13's as I drove to the dealer.

They replaced the alternator and when I started it up when I picked it up it had the same brief message and the voltage was 13.5-6 on the way home. The next day I brought it back and they checked the alternator and found it to be charging just fine. They said that they reset the computer. I drove it home and this morning the voltage read 14.0-14.1 while I drove about 15 miles. Left the car for a few hours and when I started it up again the voltage was 13.4-13.6 with a dip to .2 from time to time.

When I start up there is a dip to 11.8 and in a few seconds the voltage comes back up to the 13.5 range.

Is this all normal? I always remember the voltage being 14 whenever I checked it in the past, but must admit that I rarely looked at that guage.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 12:59 PM
add
Racer

My car does the same thing, it will read 14.1 for the longest time and then all of a sudden it starts droping sometimes into the low 12 volt range. When that happens the cars check engine light will come on and the car will have thrown every code possible.
The car runs great has a new battery and this happens once a month or so. Is it an intermitent altinator problem, voltage regulator, or is it a sign that one of these is on its way to the grave?

Tony
Old 07-16-2004, 01:16 PM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

OrangeVegaGT, what you are describing sounds normal. You will have a dip when the engine is starting, then the alternator recharges the battery while providing electricity to the rest of the car. You're car is OK. (If you haven't replaced the stock battery yet, though, consider an Optima Red Top. )

add, your car should NOT be dropping that low, particularly if you are getting lights because of it. Time for a charging system checkup, guy!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:32 PM
add
Racer

Thanks for the info, I guess its time to go to the dealer....
Old 07-16-2004, 02:12 PM
OrangeVegaGT
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Thanks for the reply.

You are suggesting that I replace a 6 month old battery?

Are they different batteries than are used on othe GM cars and are they that bad that it is worth tossing a new unit?

Get notified of new replies

To Battery charging question

Quick Reply: Battery charging question