C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service abs/traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 05:32 PM
DoubleR
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service abs/traction control question

I have an 00 Coupe that will occassionaly will throw the service abs/traction control message. The last time this message popped up was after a high speed lane change. I made the change without a problem then applied a soft brake. At this instant I felt the ABS activate for a split second and then I got the service abs/traction control light. I don't have a problem with the system activating that's what it is supposed to do but I have two questions. One, why the serivce message, and does the message mean the ABS/traction control systems are not working? It would not reset while moving however it did reset after the next start. During the warranty period it would throw the service abs/traction control message for no apparent reason and would not reset. The dealer replaced the wheel sensor and eventually the control modual to correct the problem. I don't understand this problem? I have run several HP driving schools and the only code I ever got during this hard driving was high tire pressure now this! Any imput would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got a 2000 coupe and after just a few hundred miles I got the service traction control. It happened twice in one night and it seemed to be after a few miles of regular hwy driving after hard acceleration. I drove it to work the rest of the week (work is only about 3 miles from where I live) no codes. I drove it out today a good 100 miles, no codes... I read that sometimes it will throw codes a few times and then never again, hoping that is what happens. I guess time will tell!!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:30 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

What code does it set??? The ABS can detect low fluid in the master cylinder if the fluid sloshes around during abrupt manuvers Also,faulty (intermittent open circuits) jumper harnesses to the front speed sensors are common causing a 1225-1226 code.The harnesses are mounted to the lower control arms and wear out over time due to suspension travel
Old 07-27-2004, 01:24 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same issue, but my DIC indicates ABS, Traction Control and Active Handling (which I attribute to the fact that I have the Active Handling option). The alerts NEVER come on individually, always as a trio. I've experienced an episode where they wouldn't reset after restart, but then later they reset and I didn't see them for days, and I can still go for some time before seeing them again.

When I inquired at a local dealer, a service advisor immediately responded with a hub replacement possibility, but now that I hear that that may not be the cause, I'd rather explore other possibilities before coughing $500 for possibly nothing.

For what it's worth, my previous C4 would throw the ASR (pre-traction control era) and abs alerts seemingly when my brakes were low. Whenever they were replaced, the alerts would go away. Aside from the harness issue mentioned above, could that be a factor on the C5s, as well? Or, could it be because as brakes get low, fluid level drops in the master cylinder, as previously mentioned in this thread?

Regarding the harnesses being worn, do you mean the connectors or the wiring itself? Also, can a problem with the harnesses be easily discerned by simply getting under the car and looking?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:30 PM
DoubleR
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C-5 Tech, I will check the codes tonight and see whats in the history. The brake fluid in the reservoir is at or just a tad above the full mark. Could the fluid in the master cylinder be low enough to sloush with the reservior full? I have read a lot about the ground causing a lot of electronic problems. Do you agree with this, and if so how would you fix it? Last question, are these systems (abs/traction control/active handling) still working when these service codes are flashed?
Thanks for your time, DoubleR

Get notified of new replies

To service abs/traction control question

Quick Reply: service abs/traction control question