C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clacking Noise in Torque Tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 05:34 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clacking Noise in Torque Tube

Several days ago I began hearing a clacking, metal to metal noise.
It would happen in the lower gears when the Car is generating that
Intial thrust. It would also sometimes happen during certain car jerking
movements. But under normal driving conditions, the noise does not occur

I had a local tech, who I somewhat trust, through the use of Sound detecting equipment and headphones determine that its definietly coming from within the Tube assembly (running from the engine all the way to the tranny.)

He feels a bolt has come loose and in certain thrust conditions, it is making contact with something. But he also has conveyed the possibility of damage where new tube assembly ($2k!!!) would be rEquired

Anyone ever have this happen?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:31 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Hello,

Seach under posts and responses by me...

Kevin
Old 08-31-2004, 06:54 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69
Hello,

Seach under posts and responses by me...

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. But No search availability since the CF server crash. Do you have a link?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT

I had a local tech, who I somewhat trust, through the use of Sound detecting equipment and headphones determine that its definietly coming from within the Tube assembly (running from the engine all the way to the tranny.)

He feels a bolt has come loose and in certain thrust conditions, it is making contact with something. But he also has conveyed the possibility of damage where new tube assembly ($2k!!!) would be rEquired

Very high probability your torque tube bushings have failed. These are the "star" bushings that sit on either end of the driveshaft, that carry the power from the clutch to the driveshaft, and the driveshaft to the transmission input. Ekler sells a nice solid aluminum replacement part if you don't want to go through this a second time down the road. High HP will cause them to fail before their time, but I suppose enough hard launches w/ a stock motor will eventually come to the same conclusion.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:16 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

I was just about to post the same problem with my 97.. Is that an easy / cheap fix? or is it going to cost me big time to lose the clanking noise? if I let it go for a bit will it do major damage? its getting more and more noticiable... right when I hit the gas, the initial thrust.. it clanks, like I have a penny lose somewhere in there... Is that the same thing?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Very high probability your torque tube bushings have failed. These are the "star" bushings that sit on either end of the driveshaft, that carry the power from the clutch to the driveshaft, and the driveshaft to the transmission input. Ekler sells a nice solid aluminum replacement part if you don't want to go through this a second time down the road. High HP will cause them to fail before their time, but I suppose enough hard launches w/ a stock motor will eventually come to the same conclusion.
Hey Dan,

First of all thank you for posting your answer. I haven't received many responses about this issue and being that a new C5 TQ assembly unit costs $2400, I'm sure you can understand my anxiety over it.

Only certainty so far is the noise is coming from the tube. Possiblities are:

1. Loose Bolt with no damage to housing

2. Loose bolt with damage to housing requiring a rebuild or brand new assembly unit

3. TQ Tube bushing failure.

Any other possibiities?

I was given 5.8 RR hours from the dealership (I guess that appies to whatever the problem is within the tube). Of course that doesn't include parts. If you are right, how much are the bushings? I'll be smelling like a rose if I have nothing more than a $500 repair bill.

It has gotten a little worse within 10 days weeks and she's not even a DD. BTW, under normal "babying" conditions it is fine. Being she's not a daily driver, I have time to decide but not to long because i have a roadrace event coming up in 4 weeks.

Thanks so much for your post.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:17 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

John Shiels has this problem earlier this year. If I remember correctly, and from his pics, the bushings had disintegrated. Don't remember if he
replaced only the driveshaft, or the whole T-tube assembly too.
So this is not an isolated incident.

Joel
Old 08-31-2004, 11:48 PM
Dave_Busch
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also purchase the torque tube guts, shaft, bushings and bearings, as an assembly from GM. I believe it cost about $600. It is not necesary to replace the whole tube. Call me if you need part numbers 908-317-4496. Good luck with your car.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:29 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave_Busch
You can also purchase the torque tube guts, shaft, bushings and bearings, as an assembly from GM. I believe it cost about $600. It is not necesary to replace the whole tube. Call me if you need part numbers 908-317-4496. Good luck with your car.
Thanks Dave!!! Thats great to know! I'm always at such a disadvantage with these things. I'm learning but there is so much to know. One thing I have learned - the majority of dealerships are opportunists. They are experts when it comes to Omission and people like myself generally are forced to accept whatver they say, especially when they have your car in pieces. You cant say "Put it back together and I'll try someone else."

I have a good realtionship with my dealership but I am still a little cynical because letting them know you are happy with them is also letting them know that you have dropped your guard. Sorry for the OT Rant
Old 09-01-2004, 12:55 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sandmanusd
I was just about to post the same problem with my 97.. Is that an easy / cheap fix? or is it going to cost me big time to lose the clanking noise? if I let it go for a bit will it do major damage? its getting more and more noticiable... right when I hit the gas, the initial thrust.. it clanks, like I have a penny lose somewhere in there... Is that the same thing?
I'm gonna take a stab at this one. If your problem is within the Torque tube (You should first try and verify that the noise is coming from within the tube), it could be minor or it culd be a sign of something very serious. Dont ignore it unelss you can stick it in the garage for awhile. And you shouldn't drive the car especially if its gettign worse because the tube does house major drivetrain components.

If you do have to drive the car, like down the block to the grocery store or on the way to the dealeshjip to fix it, baby the hell out of it.

Mine is not a Daily Driver so I have time to think about this. Thats the luxury of having another car. It gives you the time you need to step back and think without makig impulsive desparate decisions. And that will save you $$ and minimize the chances of being taken. I've had several instances when I have told dealerships, "Let me think about it" and to later discover a better solution.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Hey Dan,

First of all thank you for posting your answer. I haven't received many responses about this issue and being that a new C5 TQ assembly unit costs $2400, I'm sure you can understand my anxiety over it.

Only certainty so far is the noise is coming from the tube. Possiblities are:

1. Loose Bolt with no damage to housing

2. Loose bolt with damage to housing requiring a rebuild or brand new assembly unit

3. TQ Tube bushing failure.

Any other possibiities?

I was given 5.8 RR hours from the dealership (I guess that appies to whatever the problem is within the tube). Of course that doesn't include parts. If you are right, how much are the bushings? I'll be smelling like a rose if I have nothing more than a $500 repair bill.

It has gotten a little worse within 10 days weeks and she's not even a DD. BTW, under normal "babying" conditions it is fine. Being she's not a daily driver, I have time to decide but not to long because i have a roadrace event coming up in 4 weeks.

Thanks so much for your post.
If you've caught this early enough (and don't drive the car further until repaired) you will probably only need a new set of bushings. Here is the link to the aftermarket replacement items that will not fail in the future. I'm assuming that from your forum handle you car is "twin turbocharged"? If that's the case, you definitely need these.
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...7EKM4LVWVT2D29

If it were my car, I'd do all of the labor myself, so I'd only be in it for 400.00 dollars or so. But if you can't (or choose not to) do the repair yourself, I suppose you are at the mercy of whomever swings the wrenches.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Thanks Kevin. But No search availability since the CF server crash. Do you have a link?
Here Ya go......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=832678

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=702912

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=703618
Old 09-01-2004, 06:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll send you my number My tube was shot and it sounds like yours is too unfortunately
Old 09-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Dave_Busch
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Dave!!! Thats great to know! I'm always at such a disadvantage with these things. I'm learning but there is so much to know. One thing I have learned - the majority of dealerships are opportunists. They are experts when it comes to Omission and people like myself generally are forced to accept whatver they say, especially when they have your car in pieces. You cant say "Put it back together and I'll try someone else."

I have a good realtionship with my dealership but I am still a little cynical because letting them know you are happy with them is also letting them know that you have dropped your guard. Sorry for the OT Rant
I am always learning new thing all the time. That is what makes it so much fun. Don't blame your parts guy, they list a lot of part numbers that are not available. This one is a little harder to find but is available.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:39 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Well, the consensus is that the clacking noise is due to the bushings
starting to come apart.

Other possibility is that a bolt or 2 may be loose, making contact, which might be the best case scenario although that may be unlikely.

And I guess ther could always be something else wrong but in gathering information and opinions from a few of you guys, it sounds like the bushings.

So I ordered the upgraded aluminum bushings from Ecklers today. I now need to work on getting the TQ Tube taken apart by someone who I can rely on and not rape me and sell me something I dont need, like a brand new tube (of course If I truly need it then so be it) once they have it apart. I'm definitely at the mercy of someone here butif I can come out of this with a $800-$900 bill I'll take it!

I'll let you guy know what happens. Thanks for all your input.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Well, the consensus is that the clacking noise is due to the bushings
starting to come apart.

Other possibility is that a bolt or 2 may be loose, making contact, which might be the best case scenario although that may be unlikely.

And I guess ther could always be something else wrong but in gathering information and opinions from a few of you guys, it sounds like the bushings.

So I ordered the upgraded aluminum bushings from Ecklers today. I now need to work on getting the TQ Tube taken apart by someone who I can rely on and not rape me and sell me something I dont need, like a brand new tube (of course If I truly need it then so be it) once they have it apart. I'm definitely at the mercy of someone here butif I can come out of this with a $800-$900 bill I'll take it!

I'll let you guy know what happens. Thanks for all your input.
Good talking to you today Mark, and good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Clacking Noise in Torque Tube

Quick Reply: Clacking Noise in Torque Tube