C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:21 AM
drtyTshrt
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
IF, It were my car,,, I would suspect the STARTER SOLENOID or the secondary electrical circuits or the connections on the starter to be the issue..

Been around the block on this issue a FEW times!
Thank you for your time to reply. I will be reporting back. Your advice and input is important to me.

I read what the codes are.

For what it's worth this didn't start until I put on a catch can.

I have C6 wheels that are not compatible with my system.
I get low tire pressure messages that would stay on in the DIC unless I cleared it but would come back after a bit.
Since the new battery last week the DIC has not shown the TPMS messages as it had been.

I am going to go clear the codes.

I guess there never was a battery drain.
I kick myself.

I only have one key as well.

I did not try to look at the starter solenoid or connections yet. how hard is this to do topside?
Attached Images   

Last edited by drtyTshrt; 01-11-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 PM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Resurrecting an old thread

Bill,

Having the exact same issue again, thinking its just time for a battery. O'Reilly's says Voltage regulator but I'm not sure, the battery is 3 years old and came up dead this morning. Checking voltage on the dead battery it was at 5.6 volts...

With car running voltage across the terminals is 13.5 and from battery terminal on the alternator to ground I am getting 13.85. No accessories running and both are steady.

When I first jumped the dead battery I was getting 14.x volts across the battery.

Is there a definitive test for the voltage regulator besides this?

Chad

If you measure the voltage directly on the battery terminals and it above 13.0 VDC,,, the alternator is outputing. The desired charge voltage is 14.5

What you read on the battery terminals, should MATCH what you read on the BATT terminal on the back of the alternator to ground.

How did you check for continuity? With the battery in circuit or out of circuit?

BC
Old 02-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Chad

Sounds like your alternator is working..... Until you get a GOOD battery in the loop,,, its difficult to properly troubleshoot.

DO NOT let them bulley you... If you have good charging voltage,,, the ALTERNATOR is most likely good.

If it were me,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would fully charge the battery, then take it to an independate parts store and have them FULLY test the battery.

Get that independate OPINION on battery condition and go from there..

Bill
Old 02-17-2015, 11:43 PM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Bill,

Have you had any luck with regular old batteries? I've been buying walmart or AZ/Oreillys and seem to be gettting about 3 years of daily driving. Any batteries to stay away from?

Chad

Chad

Sounds like your alternator is working..... Until you get a GOOD battery in the loop,,, its difficult to properly troubleshoot.

DO NOT let them bulley you... If you have good charging voltage,,, the ALTERNATOR is most likely good.

If it were me,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would fully charge the battery, then take it to an independate parts store and have them FULLY test the battery.

Get that independate OPINION on battery condition and go from there..

Bill
Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Any name brand battery with the proper RESERVE CAPACITY should be fine.. One of the best batteries is the AC Delco platinum series battery.

Ive had good luck with the AutoZone batteries.

Remember... Any battery that is subjected to excessive sleep current draw,, will NOT keep a charge. The designed Sleep current draw should be very close to 20 milliamps. That will allow you 30+ days of sleep and the car shoud still crank and run. Ive gone as long as 40 days.

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM
BDL17
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuing issues for Bill's help:)

Bill,

01 C5. bought the car with 39,000 it now has 71,000. I have not modified anything on the car. Used to run like a top, no issues whatsoever. Then gradually the electrical problems crept in. I do drive in the rain as I live in Oregon.

I posted awhile back about some of the electrical issues I was having. Gages not working and then working, battery not holding a charge over night when nothing is left on. Here is what i have done so far and am hoping you can point me in a new direction.

Cleaned the 4 grounds in the engine compartment, headlight area and wheel well tops. Planning on doing the rest this weekend. Are the ones in the back end of the car hard to get to? I have not looked for them yet.

Replaced the battery with a brand new gel battery, replaced the alternator. Some of the minor electrical issues have cleared up. Random gages shutting off and on. It appears to be just the fuel gage after the alternator replace. But I have not driven it much because of the following problem

. The big problem is shifting. I have an automatic and it shifts really early when I speed up and really late when I slow down. So you get rough shifting when speeding up and bogged down shifting when you slow down. While driving, sometimes it is as if the transmission reverts to neutral with out shifitng. No power to the wheels and the RPMS spike because of being on the accelerator. Take your foot off, shift down works sometimes and it will reengage. Restarting the car can also clear this up. It's like a box of chocolates..every time you start it you don't know what you are going to get.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Thoughts?

Last edited by BDL17; 03-18-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BDL17
Bill,

01 C5. bought the car with 39,000 it now has 71,000. I have not modified anything on the car. Used to run like a top, no issues whatsoever. Then gradually the electrical problems crept in. I do drive in the rain as I live in Oregon.

I posted awhile back about some of the electrical issues I was having. Gages not working and then working, battery not holding a charge over night when nothing is left on. Here is what i have done so far and am hoping you can point me in a new direction.

Cleaned the 4 grounds in the engine compartment, headlight area and wheel well tops. Planning on doing the rest this weekend. Are the ones in the back end of the car hard to get to? I have not looked for them yet.

Replaced the battery with a brand new gel battery, replaced the alternator. Some of the minor electrical issues have cleared up. Random gages shutting off and on. It appears to be just the fuel gage after the alternator replace. But I have not driven it much because of the following problem

. The big problem is shifting. I have an automatic and it shifts really early when I speed up and really late when I slow down. So you get rough shifting when speeding up and bogged down shifting when you slow down. While driving, sometimes it is as if the transmission reverts to neutral with out shifitng. No power to the wheels and the RPMS spike because of being on the accelerator. Take your foot off, shift down works sometimes and it will reengage. Restarting the car can also clear this up. It's like a box of chocolates..every time you start it you don't know what you are going to get.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Thoughts?
Dave

You have a LOT going on at one time.. Its NOT just one issue.
. Please read and post your DTCs.. That will narrow the issues down.

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Codes

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:

1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
NOTE! You can read the DTCs with the engine running and or driving down the road but it can distract you. BE careful! Some DTCs clear themselves when you turn the ignition OFF!
I always read my DTCs prior to turning OFF the ignition switch. If you have any messages on the DIC,, PRESS RESET until they are gone!

2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect.)
3) Press and hold OPTIONS
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL four times within a 10-second period.

Initially, on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.
There are two kinds of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, "C" or "H". A current C code indicates a malfunction is present and active in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes.
More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.
Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.
Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except English/Metric (E/M). Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press and hold the RESET button To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles.
Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5. You can GOOGLE the DTC and also find information on it.

Here is very good site that explains the DTCs:

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/C5DTCcode.html

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix!!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
byfaithman2
8th Gear

Default Thank you. I'd given up hope of ever seeing those systems work right.

Many of you have asked me for help on solving electrical problems and I thought this would be VERY interesting!

My 98 coupe would get the infamous "REDUCED ENGINE POWER", "TRACTION CONTROL FAILURE" and a host of random failure codes. After many, many hours of troubleshooting, replacing the BCM and TAC module, I solved most of the driveability issues. Still getting the random DTC failure codes, I thought that I may be having ground issues. Back in June I cleaned ALL of the chassis grounds and the car virtually stopped throwing the "RANDOM" DTC failure codes. Just moving the wires in the chassis ground connector was enough to change the indications and make the issues stop happening.

I had a chance to speak with some GM C5 Trouble Desk Engineers when I went to Bowling Green KY in April and they pointed out that MANY of the C5 electrical issues can be directly linked to chassis ground problems. The engineer even went as far as to recommending that I chop off the factory under hood chassis ground connectors and combine all of the wires into a single ground lug. Not wanting to just LOP off the factory connector, I took a chance and disassembled one of the ground plug connectors and to my surprise it was indeed full of corroded connections.
I strongly recommend that any C5 owner that has had or who are having electrical issues, examine and clean the chassis ground connectors. This may save you from needlessly replacing expensive electronics modules. Each ground connector can be disassembled and cleaned in about 20 min.

Just cleaning the metal ground connection between the chassis and the plug is only a band aid solution. Now that I look back, when I cleaned my chassis grounds and initially solved my issues, I believe that when the connector is being removed to clean the connection between chassis and the connector, just the wires being moved inside the plug is what changed the indications and made everything work better.
Disassembly of the chassis ground plug and cleaning the contacts inside the connector is the correct method of solving the issue!

I took some pictures of the under hood chassis ground connector and the corrosion that was in it. I cleaned the two connections on the frame rails and the left one was significantly corroded! Taking it apart and cleaning it is a very straight forward procedure and I believe that if you follow this recommendation, you will be on the way to solving the many of the electrical issues.

Here are some detailed pictures of the ground connector and the corrosion that was found inside it!

Picture of under hood Chassis Ground connector G-101

Corrosion inside connector! (You ain't seen nothing yet!)
[IMG][/IMG]

Next three photos are of the corrosion found on the connector terminals!
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Self tapping ground screw and star washer. This is what you will need if the ground stud breaks off during removal!
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][IMG]

Here are where the chassis ground points are on a C5:

PLEASE let me know if you have any questions.

Bill Curlee

updated 02 March 06
Old 03-30-2015, 09:15 PM
BDL17
Navigator

Default Continuation for bill

So here are the codes that come up for me.
10 pcm
PO356H
PO530HC
P1637HC
P1638HC
P1689H

28 TCS
C1214HC
C1276H

Would it be safe to assume I have a bad power train module? As well as an ABS and Traction control module? Or is there something else I can look into first. Thanks for the patience Bill
Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

DTC P1637 Generator L-Terminal Circuit
DTC P1638 Generator F-Terminal Circuit
DTC P0356 Ignition Coil 6 Control Circuit
DTC P0530 Air Conditioning (A/C) Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit

Dont worry about this one:

DTC P1689 Traction Control Delivered Torque Output Circuit

You need to figure out why your alternator isnt charging before you get too far. Poor battery voltage can cause all the other issues.

When the engine is running,, what is your battery voltage??

So here are the codes that come up for me.
10 pcm
PO356H
PO530HC
P1637HC
P1638HC
P1689H

28 TCS
C1214HC
C1276H

Would it be safe to assume I have a bad power train module? As well as an ABS and Traction control module? Or is there something else I can look into first. Thanks for the patience Bill
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 PM
BDL17
Navigator

DTC P1637 Generator L-Terminal Circuit
DTC P1638 Generator F-Terminal Circuit
DTC P0356 Ignition Coil 6 Control Circuit
DTC P0530 Air Conditioning (A/C) Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit

Dont worry about this one:

DTC P1689 Traction Control Delivered Torque Output Circuit

You need to figure out why your alternator isnt charging before you get too far. Poor battery voltage can cause all the other issues.

When the engine is running,, what is your battery voltage??
Battery is charging now that I replaced the alternator.
It wouldn't hold a charge in the brand new battery before, once I replaced the alternator it holds a charge fine now. But I will get the voltage today.

Last edited by BDL17; 04-01-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:15 PM
dfp215
Instructor

Here is my current problems,
The traction control light and ABS lights come on accompanied by the dreaded "service traction control" warning .. When this happens the automatic A/C panel is blank and the A/C is inoperative. At times after a few miles of driving the Traction control light will go off and the A/C starts working. When it starts working a click can be heard in the dash. Other times I can drive till the cows come home and it will never recover. When it does recover and the traction control light goes off and A/C starts working. but the ABS light with the warning "service vehicle soon" stay on.. I tried cleaning the underhood grounds and found them to be without any signs of corrosion. I disassembled them anyway and with a small file cleaned all including where the eyelet bolts to the frame rail. Sadly it made no difference at all.. A local Corvette Shop here scanned it for me and it had no codes pertaining to the problems I'm experiencing. It has been suggested to me the Ignition switch may be bad. Wiggling the key and tapping on it proved futile. I know that doesn't really prove the switch isn't defective but I thought it may be worth a try.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance. Don
Old 04-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The key cylinder isnt connected to the ignition switches. It just turns a cam that moves the switches. The cam can turn a lot before it moves the switch contacts.

You have all the sympyoms of a bad switch.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-04-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:39 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfp215
Here is my current problems. The traction control light and ABS lights come on accompanied by the dreaded "service traction control" warning .............. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance. Don
I sent a PM to you, Don.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:53 PM
BDL17
Navigator

Default Continued for bill

14.2 on the battery volts Bill

UPDATED-So I did take it out for a wash and a drive and the volts where jumping all over the place. Low was 13.2 High was 14.6. It sat for the most part at 13.9. The engine fan was on for most of the time as well.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by BDL17; 04-06-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:32 PM
dfp215
Instructor

A reply for the record. Installing the ignition switch took care of my electrical issues. ABS, traction control light and A/C not working along with the A/C digital display not lighting up. The replacement of the switch was a simple task, took about a hour and a half. Thanks Dennis and Bill for their input. If anyone is every looking for a ignition switch I got mine from Amazon(prime). A AC Delco for $55.00 got it in 2 days with free shipping.. Can't beat that with a stick.. Again thanks for the help!!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A reply for the record. Installing the ignition switch took care of my electrical issues. ABS, traction control light and A/C not working along with the A/C digital display not lighting up. The replacement of the switch was a simple task, took about a hour and a half. Thanks Dennis and Bill for their input. If anyone is every looking for a ignition switch I got mine from Amazon(prime). A AC Delco for $55.00 got it in 2 days with free shipping.. Can't beat that with a stick.. Again thanks for the help!!
Hey Don...always glad to help......and glad you got 'er fixed! Since I r/r'd my ignition over two years ago on my '98, I've never had any more issues. I had 3 of the 5 contacts heavily corroded which gave me all the "No Comm" dtc's. I cleaned it up and sitting on a shelf in my garage. It's like I had a new C5 again.

Get notified of new replies

To IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)

Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
dfp215
Instructor

Originally Posted by fixvet
Hey Don...always glad to help......and glad you got 'er fixed! Since I r/r'd my ignition over two years ago on my '98, I've never had any more issues. I had 3 of the 5 contacts heavily corroded which gave me all the "No Comm" dtc's. I cleaned it up and sitting on a shelf in my garage. It's like I had a new C5 again.

I'm going to take my old one apart, just to see how bad it is..For the price of the new switch I don't think I'll hang on to the old one. But curious to see how bad. I also got all my underhood grounds nice and clean now too. I tried cleaning them before getting the switch.. Feels good to have the car back to normal..
Old 04-14-2015, 05:07 PM
BDL17
Navigator

14.2 on the battery volts Bill

UPDATED-So I did take it out for a wash and a drive and the volts where jumping all over the place. Low was 13.2 High was 14.6. It sat for the most part at 13.9. The engine fan was on for most of the time as well.

Thanks
Dave
Well took it to the shop, It was one of the grounds behind the passenger wheel well. Cleaned it and the car runs like a top now.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:03 AM
dfp215
Instructor

I'm going to take my old one apart, just to see how bad it is..For the price of the new switch I don't think I'll hang on to the old one. But curious to see how bad. I also got all my underhood grounds nice and clean now too. I tried cleaning them before getting the switch.. Feels good to have the car back to normal..
Pictures of my switch contacts. Two really burnt and a third one starting. But after 117,000 miles I can't complain. And I gotta admit the switch was pretty easy to install..
Attached Images   

Last edited by dfp215; 04-15-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)