C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)

Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 AM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James2000
There's always a catch to having one of the coolest cars made. I will do my grounds as soon as the freezing weather passes. Thanks for the valuable info!
Do what you want.
But you really need to find a place where you can clean them ASAP. They only get worse. And it will affect many components in your vehicle.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
James2000
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Soon

Originally Posted by schnellerkerl
Do what you want.
But you really need to find a place where you can clean them ASAP. They only get worse. And it will affect many components in your vehicle.
It has been freezing and I don't garage my car. I wanna do the job right. With the freezing weather, I'll end up rushing and not doing the job as good as I can and possibly make things worse when my fingers are turning white and not moving. I am a perfectionist. Btw the plastic is 15 years old and extra brittle especially due to the cold if I break something I'm screwed. Did u use electric grease after u cleaned the grounds? My engine is spotless, but I know that probably doesn't matter, moisture has a way of finding its way anywhere/everywhere.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 PM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been freezing and I don't garage my car. I wanna do the job right. With the freezing weather, I'll end up rushing and not doing the job as good as I can and possibly make things worse when my fingers are turning white and not moving. I am a perfectionist. Btw the plastic is 15 years old and extra brittle especially due to the cold if I break something I'm screwed. Did u use electric grease after u cleaned the grounds? My engine is spotless, but I know that probably doesn't matter, moisture has a way of finding its way anywhere/everywhere.
My FRC is also spotless and low miles

But -.
But the grounds do get corroded. Hard to see until you get to work on them.
No plastic. Just be careful when loosening to nut.
I sprayed with WD 40 first and let set for 5 minutes.
Then wiped all from around the ground.
So it was clean.
I used an emery board to manually file back the affected area - gently to make sure of good contact.
Then apply a dielectric spray.
I use CorrosionX. Its the best but not cheap.
I live in florida and do this every 6 months. The humidity here causes problems.
www.corrosionx.com
The following users liked this post:
James2000 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 06:46 PM
James2000
Instructor

U guys are right on with the corrosion issue. I had to go into the door jam today because my driver door controls went out. The plug was corroded, when I touched it the power came back on, so I cleaned it up. I will get to the grounds hopefully this week. Usually after a big snow storm we get some nice weather. I was telling someone else on here, my hands are half numb from a spine injury and mixed with the cold, doing things become difficult and I don't trust anyone to do the job like I would. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

U guys are right on with the corrosion issue. I had to go into the door jam today because my driver door controls went out. The plug was corroded, when I touched it the power came back on, so I cleaned it up. I will get to the grounds hopefully this week. Usually after a big snow storm we get some nice weather. I was telling someone else on here, my hands are half numb from a spine injury and mixed with the cold, doing things become difficult and I don't trust anyone to do the job like I would. Thanks!

Your MAIN issue is most likely spread female contacts in that power connector. Look for that issue or it will continue to have issues..

BC
Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM
James2000
Instructor

Oops I left that out, I did. I was at a flee market years ago and bought a dental pick set for a dollar. My wife made fun of me for buying it and after about 10 years of it sitting in my tool box I finally used it! I may not have bent them enough though. I was worried about snapping one, but time will tell. Thanks Bill!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 PM
bigbob76
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have cold weather to deal with but I know what its like to have difficulties from past injuries. I hope you get some warmer weather so you can work on it.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:55 PM
James2000
Instructor

Ok, I did the 2 grounds/connectors like in the pic originally posted. Drivers side one was like new, but I still cleaned it any way. The passenger side was a little green, so I cleaned it up as well. Neither side looked anything like the original pics posted. I will look for other grounds tomorrow. Have any of you guys done the big three upgrade, if so did it make a difference? 50 degrees today my hands worked. Very quick and easy to do, for anyone thinking about it. Are there any other grounds that are more important to do than others, just doing them as I go along this is my daily driver and I can't get too involved till the weekend. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Dutch'svette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 C5 Turn Signal/Park light issue

Hey fellas got a little problem. On my '01 Vette C-5, when I cut the car off, and turn the lights off then drivers front turn signal/Park light continues to burn until it kills the battery. I replaced the bulb in the passenger side and it worked fine then it started again. At that point I ordered a new socket from Chevrolet and put a new bulb in it and it worked fine for about an hour then the passenger side light went out again and the driver side continued to burn. I just unhooked the battery to keep from killing it. Can anyone help??
Old 02-07-2016, 04:38 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch'svette
Hey fellas got a little problem. On my '01 Vette C-5, when I cut the car off, and turn the lights off then drivers front turn signal/Park light continues to burn until it kills the battery. I replaced the bulb in the passenger side and it worked fine then it started again. At that point I ordered a new socket from Chevrolet and put a new bulb in it and it worked fine for about an hour then the passenger side light went out again and the driver side continued to burn. I just unhooked the battery to keep from killing it. Can anyone help??
We had a similar problem in our 99 vert. I bet there is a short in one of the wire connections or in the fixture itself. I gave up looking and just pulled the fuse for the running lights, turn signals still work and headlights still work just fine. Just no running lights, no law says you have to have them on I kinda like the stealth mode
Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 PM
65ELCMO
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Cody

YES,,,,,,, Its the first steps in the correct direction. Make SURE that the people doing your key /tumbler work knows that they have to do the tumbler work around a KEY with the proper RESISTANCE of your old key.

The key resistor pellet reader is on the end of the lock tumbler and that is most likely your issue. HOWEVER,,,,,,, anywhere in the PassKey circuit there could be an issue.

One way to prove out the bad key reader theory is to insert the key into the tumbler and read the resistance of the key at the connector end of the key reader connector. Compare the actual pellet resistance reading in the key with the reading you get at the connector of the key reader..

They should MATCH!!

Bill
Bill, Can you check the key out of the cylinder to see if it is good?
Old 02-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES! Just use an OHM Meter and put the leads on the two little metal contacts on either side of the key. That will give you the resistance of the chip inside the key.

Once you know that value, you can read it on the connector for the sensor and at the connector at the BCM to verify that you have proper continuity all the way through the circuit.

Here is the C5 GM key resistance chart. Your reading should fall within one of those values:

Name:  image001_zps3cb83edc.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  54.1 KB
Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM
65ELCMO
Advanced

YES! Just use an OHM Meter and put the leads on the two little metal contacts on either side of the key. That will give you the resistance of the chip inside the key.

Once you know that value, you can read it on the connector for the sensor and at the connector at the BCM to verify that you have proper continuity all the way through the circuit.

Here is the C5 GM key resistance chart. Your reading should fall within one of those values:

Thanks, I will check it out today. Steve
Old 02-27-2016, 04:59 PM
65ELCMO
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65ELCMO
Thanks, I will check it out today. Steve
Key 1 3.002
Key 2 2.986
Blank #9 All looks good. Thanks Bill
Old 03-05-2016, 09:23 PM
User 3518
5th Gear

I have a 97 C5 that I've been having problems with the security system. If the remote is within a certain radius the car will lock/unlock itself. I replaced the car battery, as well as the batteries in the remotes.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 PM
bigbob76
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron97C5
I have a 97 C5 that I've been having problems with the security system. If the remote is within a certain radius the car will lock/unlock itself. I replaced the car battery, as well as the batteries in the remotes.
I have no knowledge or experience here but doesn't it sound as though the button on the remote is stuck or shorted so it's like it is being held down?
Old 03-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Aaron97C5
Your fob is unique in that it has a little PASSIVE switch on it. Turn the active passive to OFF and go into the DIC and turn it off in the fob menu.

See if that works. That SHOULD eliminate that from happening. Its all covered in your OWNERS MANUAL.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)

Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Amazingdove
4th Gear

Default Would this help with a weird problem I might have?

I have a 2004 convertible & when I hit the key remote for the trunk to open RADIO came on, it has only did this 1 time so far any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Toni

Many of you have asked me for help on solving electrical problems and I thought this would be VERY interesting!

My 98 coupe would get the infamous "REDUCED ENGINE POWER", "TRACTION CONTROL FAILURE" and a host of random failure codes. After many, many hours of troubleshooting, replacing the BCM and TAC module, I solved most of the driveability issues. Still getting the random DTC failure codes, I thought that I may be having ground issues. Back in June I cleaned ALL of the chassis grounds and the car virtually stopped throwing the "RANDOM" DTC failure codes. Just moving the wires in the chassis ground connector was enough to change the indications and make the issues stop happening.

I had a chance to speak with some GM C5 Trouble Desk Engineers when I went to Bowling Green KY in April and they pointed out that MANY of the C5 electrical issues can be directly linked to chassis ground problems. The engineer even went as far as to recommending that I chop off the factory under hood chassis ground connectors and combine all of the wires into a single ground lug. Not wanting to just LOP off the factory connector, I took a chance and disassembled one of the ground plug connectors and to my surprise it was indeed full of corroded connections.
I strongly recommend that any C5 owner that has had or who are having electrical issues, examine and clean the chassis ground connectors. This may save you from needlessly replacing expensive electronics modules. Each ground connector can be disassembled and cleaned in about 20 min.

Just cleaning the metal ground connection between the chassis and the plug is only a band aid solution. Now that I look back, when I cleaned my chassis grounds and initially solved my issues, I believe that when the connector is being removed to clean the connection between chassis and the connector, just the wires being moved inside the plug is what changed the indications and made everything work better.
Disassembly of the chassis ground plug and cleaning the contacts inside the connector is the correct method of solving the issue!

I took some pictures of the under hood chassis ground connector and the corrosion that was in it. I cleaned the two connections on the frame rails and the left one was significantly corroded! Taking it apart and cleaning it is a very straight forward procedure and I believe that if you follow this recommendation, you will be on the way to solving the many of the electrical issues.

Here are some detailed pictures of the ground connector and the corrosion that was found inside it!

Picture of under hood Chassis Ground connector G-101

Corrosion inside connector! (You ain't seen nothing yet!)
[IMG][/IMG]

Next three photos are of the corrosion found on the connector terminals!
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Self tapping ground screw and star washer. This is what you will need if the ground stud breaks off during removal!
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][IMG]

Here are where the chassis ground points are on a C5:

PLEASE let me know if you have any questions.

Bill Curlee

updated 02 March 06
Old 03-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Turnpike Cruiser
Cruising

Default DeoxIT D5 is for corrosion removal and contact cleaning

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Bill,
Where can I get some of the electrical contact cleaner like you used that will not damage the electrical connectors and wire?

Terry Hawkins
DeoxIT Will clean and protect electrical contacts from corroding again👍
http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G
Old 03-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Some Marine / Boating stores carry it. Heres a website::

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)