C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Replacement Power Antenna Mast...help

Old 10-11-2004, 09:38 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Need Replacement Power Antenna Mast...help

I am pretty sure the frigging plastic ribbon gear broke because my antenna will not go all the way down anymore..

It's silly to replace the entire unit.. I have done mast replacements before.. Can I get just that part? What is the part number???
Old 10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
white top
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a TSB for power antenna for 00 C5s. If the antenna only goes part way down the O ring on the black bezel has probably swelled. Ten minute job & the part retail is about $7.00

Jerry
Old 10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by white top
There is a TSB for power antenna for 00 C5s. If the antenna only goes part way down the O ring on the black bezel has probably swelled. Ten minute job & the part retail is about $7.00

Thanks!!
Do you have the TSB you can post? I'd like to see it..How does it come apart?

Jerry

Thanks!!
Do you have the TSB you can post? I'd like to see it..How does it come apart?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

2000: Service Bulletin: Power Antenna Not Working Properly or is Completely Inoperative
Number: 00-08-44-006A
Subject: Power Antenna Not Working Properly or is Completely Inoperative (Replace Antenna O-Ring Assembly/Cap Nut & Clean Mast)
Model Year: 2000 Chevrolet Corvette, 2000 Pontiac Firebird, 2000 Chevrolet and GMC G-Van

This bulletin is being revised to change the labor time. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-44-006 (Section 8 -- Body & Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the power antenna doing the following:

Will not go up all the way

Will not go down all the way

Will not move at all

Cause

The O-ring/cap nut material may not be compatible with the lubricant used on the antenna mast. This incompatibility may cause the O-ring/cap nut to enlarge and place a drag on the antenna mast, restricting its movement.

Correction

Inspect the antenna mast and housing for damage (bent mast or housing). If damaged, perform the normal non-warranty repair. Otherwise, if no damage is present, perform the following repair:

Turn the radio entertainment system to the OFF position.

Place the ignition key in the OFF position and remove the key from the key switch.

Important

Do not allow the antenna to be activated while the O-ring assembly/cap nut is removed from the antenna. Allowing the antenna to activate with the O-ring assembly/cap nut removed will allow the antenna mast to come completely out of the assembly.

Using an adjustable wrench, loosen and remove the antenna O-ring assembly/cap nut.

Install the new O-ring assembly/cap nut to the antenna mast, finger tight, then tighten 1/4 additional turn.

Place the ignition key in the key switch and turn to the run position. Turn ON the radio.

With the antenna in the full up position, clean the mast with a clean rag.

Parts Information

Model
Part Number
Description

Camaro & Firebird
O-Ring Assembly/Cap Nut

Corvette

G-Van

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:05 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Patches
2000: Service Bulletin: Power Antenna Not Working Properly or is Completely Inoperative
Number: 00-08-44-006A
Subject: Power Antenna Not Working Properly or is Completely Inoperative (Replace Antenna O-Ring Assembly/Cap Nut & Clean Mast)
Model Year: 2000 Chevrolet Corvette, 2000 Pontiac Firebird, 2000 Chevrolet and GMC G-Van

This bulletin is being revised to change the labor time. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-44-006 (Section 8 -- Body & Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the power antenna doing the following:

Will not go up all the way

Will not go down all the way

Will not move at all

Cause

The O-ring/cap nut material may not be compatible with the lubricant used on the antenna mast. This incompatibility may cause the O-ring/cap nut to enlarge and place a drag on the antenna mast, restricting its movement.

Correction

Inspect the antenna mast and housing for damage (bent mast or housing). If damaged, perform the normal non-warranty repair. Otherwise, if no damage is present, perform the following repair:

Turn the radio entertainment system to the OFF position.

Place the ignition key in the OFF position and remove the key from the key switch.

Important

Do not allow the antenna to be activated while the O-ring assembly/cap nut is removed from the antenna. Allowing the antenna to activate with the O-ring assembly/cap nut removed will allow the antenna mast to come completely out of the assembly.

Using an adjustable wrench, loosen and remove the antenna O-ring assembly/cap nut.

Install the new O-ring assembly/cap nut to the antenna mast, finger tight, then tighten 1/4 additional turn.

Place the ignition key in the key switch and turn to the run position. Turn ON the radio.

With the antenna in the full up position, clean the mast with a clean rag.

Parts Information

Model
Part Number
Description

Camaro & Firebird
O-Ring Assembly/Cap Nut

Corvette

G-Van

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Thanks Patches!

I love the GM Disclaimer.. GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".

What Retard could not do this in his own garage?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I know you can, chuckster. I rebuilt my power antenna on my '90 300ZX a couple of years ago by replacing the plastic stip gear with no problem. Don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Best of luck, buddy.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Replacement Power Antenna Mast...help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Replacement Power Antenna Mast...help