C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock Recall and Column Lock bypass

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 05:39 PM
PVHolgado
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Column Lock Recall and Column Lock bypass

Just got the column lock recall notice- (have been ignoring it up to this point)0 Anyone know if I can just keep ignoring the recall becasue I've installed the bypass - or should I have it done because it updates some other info. in my "program"?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:48 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PVHolgado
Just got the column lock recall notice- (have been ignoring it up to this point)0 Anyone know if I can just keep ignoring the recall becasue I've installed the bypass - or should I have it done because it updates some other info. in my "program"?
I would recommend ignoring it. I too have installed the CLB and that's the way I'm leaving it! If you want a little extra theft protection, install a hidden kill switch. That's what I did and it was very easy, especially since we have the 6 speeds. HTH

Robert
Old 11-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

If you have a 6spd (and guesing from your hardtop avatar you do), I'd ignore it. Especially if you have any custom programming...you'll lose it with the recall PCM flash.

If you do have it done, you can reinstall your CLB afterwards and feel safe again.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:53 PM
don527
Drifting

have there been any reports of column lock AFTER the recall had been done? What exactly does it do to disable the column lock?

Also, I hear the PCM flash also updates takes care of other issues... anyone have a list of what it updates?

Thanks,
Don
Old 11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by don527
have there been any reports of column lock AFTER the recall had been done? What exactly does it do to disable the column lock?
On 6spd cars, the recall does not disable the column lock.
It cuts fuel to the engine if/when the column locks. This is all the recall PCM flash does. Since GM can't totally diable to lock due to Fed anti-theft regulations, this is their safety measure to insure the car can't be driven with a locked column.

And yes, several people have had stuck columns after the recall "fix".

On A4 cars, the lock itself is disabled, and this actually is a cure to the stuck lock issue. They can get that since the auto tranny locks, and that alone complies with the needed anti-theft device requirement. A4 cars snce 2001 never came with a column lock from the factory for this reason.

There may be other program updates for your specific vin that would also be done when the recall flash is performed. A spark knock issue is one that I know of, there may be others.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:53 AM
PVHolgado
Melting Slicks

Yes I have a 2000 FRC- 6 spd. Looks like two opinions exist-- Anyone know what else may be "altered" by new programing installed during recall fix of bypass? I'm happy with car's current operation but don't want to miss out on any "improvements". Thanks again to all-

Last edited by PVHolgado; 11-04-2004 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes I have a 2000 FRC- 6 spd. Looks like two opinions exist-- Anyone know what else may be "altered" by new programing installed during recall fix of bypass? I'm happy with car's current operation but don't want to miss out on any "improvements". Thanks again to all-
I believe that the code for the "fuel gauge monitoring system" was changed to make it "less senitive" for the infamous fuel guage problem.

You do not mention if you have a CLB, or not. If you don't, GET ONE. If you don't have one, and get one, I would recommend having the recall done before installing the CLB (so that your records show it as done in the event that you want to sell the car).

Old 11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
PVHolgado
Melting Slicks

I do have the CLB already installed- Does that have to come out to participate in recall campaign? I'd rather leave it alone- is the fuel guage program update reson enough to get it done?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:46 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do have the CLB already installed- Does that have to come out to participate in recall campaign? I'd rather leave it alone- is the fuel guage program update reson enough to get it done?
Sorry, I just read your first post. I guess I fail remedial reading

Well, I had to have warranty work done (rear diff. leak), and the Service Advisor told me that they would do the recall. I told him that I did not want it done as I had installed a CLB. He told me that he had no choice since it was a "safety" recall. Long story short, he agreed to do only the PCM reprogram, since I said over my dead body will they remove any part of my dash (part of the recall is an inspection of the locking pin). I told him, up front, about the CLB because I had read here where a dealer had tried to charge a member for having removed the CLB while performing the recall. If you are out of warranty, don't have the recall done. If you will possibly be having warranty work done in the future be prepared to "have a discussion" with the Service Advisor about the CLB.

As far as the gas guage goes, if you run Chevron (it has Techron as an additive), or are willing do add a bottle of Techron (WalMart sells it) at each oil change, then you do not need to worry about any fuel guage issues.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:06 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

On the last postcard notice received there is a box for other. Checked it and wrote"CLB" installed. Do not send more recall notices.
Fred K.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

I'd ignore it. Like you, I've got a '00 FRC with the CLB installed, and I know of no real improvements that you could get via a PCM reflash, and there's always the risk of the work not being done correctly. I've never had a car IN warrrenty, so I've never had anyone do work on my cars if I could do it myself.

IMO, the risk isn't worth the rewards, if any.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-04-2004, 05:54 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't do it! Leave it as is with the CLB.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:25 AM
loudsam
Burning Brakes

I keep getting the recall notice. I've installed the CLB. When my column locked, quite unexpectedly, I WALKED to the Chevy dealer and asked them about it, and they looked at me like I just walked off a shuttle from Mars. And that's the dealer Chevy wants me to take it too! I would drive right across this country to have that car fixed before I'd take it to that dealer. Keep your CLB the way it is, and be happy. Your just asking for problems taking it to the dealer.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:55 PM
speedjohnson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd agree that the real fix for a 6-sp is the CLB.

If you don't have one, then you should get the recall done...including replacing the pin (which gets worn and sticks in it's bore)...as well as get the keyswitch updated if it is the "old type".

In my case, the column failed to unlock as a backed out of an angled parking spot and onto a busy 4 lane grid. The car started and idled normally, allowing me to completely back out and block the traffic lane. Of course, the wheel then wouldn't turn...and to top it off the car died and wouldn't restart...leaving me stuck in harms way with a lumber truck bearing down on me.

This, in my opinion, is a dangerous problem that should have been resolved by GM at a much earlier date. sj

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock Recall and Column Lock bypass

Quick Reply: Column Lock Recall and Column Lock bypass