C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my clutch vibe problems... called almost every tuner today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Update on my clutch vibe problems... called almost every tuner today!

Well I've been fretting this whole thing b/c since having my new LUK pro gold w/ Fidanza flywheel put in I have a mild vibe. After doing research on here I had a few differing opinios whether or not the lsx motors are truly internal balanced or not. (the real problem is that I'm signed up for a VIR event this weekend and may have to pull out).

The tuners (not going to name names's but called the big ones) all pretty much said the motors are supposed to be internally balanced, but once in a blue moon you'll get one that isn't.

Also, the two little weights on my flywheel don't necessarily mean that my motor is one of these, the weights are used to balance the wheel itself.

The real kicker is that every single one said they never trus the clutch mfg's and spin balance every single one of them to verify they're perfect. Basically it comes down to the fact that my new clutch is most likely not balanced correctly. I have contacted luk and basically asked to be reimbursed for my additional labor if I verify the assy isn't balanced properly If it is then I need to get on the horn w/ GM about the motor.

As for the service manual... the latest version specifically instructs the tech not to transfer any weights from one flywheel to the next as they're balanced assy's Their answer for a bad assy is to ditch it and get another... and another.

Moral of the story.... verify the fricken' balance on you flywheel/pressure plate BEFORE you have it installed
Old 11-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck. That's what I thought too.

Dope
Old 11-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

THANK YOU for all of your dedicated research and I am sorry you had to go through all of this pain to get it right!

Please keep us informed on what you find.

Bill Curlee
Old 11-15-2004, 07:48 PM
rodknock
Racer

Installed a Spec in a friends z-06 had it sent out with flywheel and had it balanced, no vibe problem at all. Just ordered a Luk Gold for my 99 vert and after contacting sales/rep dan at Luk was told no need to balance gold setup, but am now going to send it out! Never take any ones word!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:03 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

For the amount of labor a clutch install is on our cars a spin balance should be done even if just to verify the balance was correct.

I know my RAM flywheel was way out. Thank god we balanced it before the installation.

Good luck with everything but unfortunately I highly doubt you will get the clutch company to cover any of the labor.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I know... but I can try hard to make them help me out. I bitched and GM gave me a free extended warranty for my troubles.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:09 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Brian.

p.s. I know a good lawyer.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

RODKNOCK

PLEASE let us know if that LUK Gold was in or OUT of balance! That would be some GREAT to know info!!!

Thanks

Bill
Old 11-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

After extensive driving tonight... I swear the vibration has reduced. I'm going to take it to my buddy who runs a speed shop. His dad has a Z16 that they auto-x extensively. I'll let him drive it and see what he thinks. If he says no damage to be caused by the mild vibe I'm running VIR this weekend and I'll worry about it later.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
rodknock
Racer

O.K. Recieved Luk Pro gold today and just sent it out to S&K speed here in long island to be balanced, I'll let you know if it was out.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Please post up...
Old 11-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Inquiring minds are very interested in this info.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I **** you all not, my car fixed itself... vibe is gone. Took it to a mechanic friend, told him nothing, and had him drive it. His dad races Z06's as does he. He took the car through every possible scenario and there was nothing abnormal. He said that clutches have to break in and if any grease or anything etc was left on the assy during install it could have caused something. All I know is that I had a vibe, now I don't. I'm lucky...
Old 11-16-2004, 08:41 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I **** you all not, my car fixed itself... vibe is gone. Took it to a mechanic friend, told him nothing, and had him drive it. His dad races Z06's as does he. He took the car through every possible scenario and there was nothing abnormal. He said that clutches have to break in and if any grease or anything etc was left on the assy during install it could have caused something. All I know is that I had a vibe, now I don't. I'm lucky...
Wow! That's great!

Get notified of new replies

To Update on my clutch vibe problems... called almost every tuner today!

Quick Reply: Update on my clutch vibe problems... called almost every tuner today!