C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI or Fluidampr for damper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leaftye
I'm curious too. Track-only parts often perform quite well, but sometimes don't work well for extended periods (Mezeire waterpump), fatigue or wear out over time (Ti connecting rods or valves) or are noisy (trannies with straightcut gears). Does the AL unit do any of these things?
When it gets hot the expansion rate of aluminum is quite a bit more then the steel crank thus it gets loose. Of course you should always pin the crank but even if you do it'll wear the key way where the pin sets.
And another thing, you need a special seal for the aluminum damper hub.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Hell-bent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
When it gets hot the expansion rate of aluminum is quite a bit more then the steel crank thus it gets loose. Of course you should always pin the crank but even if you do it'll wear the key way where the pin sets.
And another thing, you need a special seal for the aluminum damper hub.
Maybe I will minimize the hassel and stick with the all steel part #.

Are you guys using the ATI crank pin kit on cars without blowers? It is another $120 and more work......is it required?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm confused... when you change these out to you balance them like the stock unit? The shop manual is very specific that when changing the crankshaft balance your must mark the position, transfer any/all balance weights in the exact position and re-install? How do you keep the motor perfectly balanced?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:00 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dampner is itself balanced...the shop manual does indeed say to mark, however there is no way of getting it right on the money [ the exact same spot]without it being keyed [pinned]. have had lots of them off and have changed a few, have had no problems and i follow the shop manual as far as tightening the dampner goes....have heard of lots of balancers coming loose but have not experienced it myself.
i also have the kent moore flywheel holder...dont know how it can be done without it.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:46 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vettemaster1
the dampner is itself balanced...the shop manual does indeed say to mark, however there is no way of getting it right on the money [ the exact same spot]without it being keyed [pinned]. have had lots of them off and have changed a few, have had no problems and i follow the shop manual as far as tightening the dampner goes....have heard of lots of balancers coming loose but have not experienced it myself.
i also have the kent moore flywheel holder...dont know how it can be done without it.
The ATI is zero balanced, but check your old balancer for pin weights around the perimiter if you find any you will need to get your new balancer balanced to the old one.
As far pinning the crank is concerned, I would spend the extra few dollars to make it right.
And it will make installation much easer because what I did was purchase the ATI 12 point reuseable hardened bolt ($26.00) and used red high strength loctite.
Now instead of needing to streach the bolt you can run it to 150 lbs ft.
And never worry because there can be no relative motion between the balancer and the crank to loosen the bolt.
Believe me the loss of a balancer is a real pain in the wallet because it also takes out the crank and everything else.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Redvette5704
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u still have this if so text 614-900-3812 thx

Quick Reply: ATI or Fluidampr for damper?