C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Temp= Oil Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:43 PM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Location: Lost in the Pine Barrens with only ketchup and relish packs, New Jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Temp= Oil Temp?

Is it accurate to assume that oil temperature is the equivalent to Engine temperature or should you use coolant temp? Referring to what my Grandfather always told me to let the car warm up before I drove off. If so, what is considered a safe temperature to begin driving?Especially with the cold weather season upon us, I made a point to watch the oil temp this morning and it took a while to get up to 99 degrees (30 degrees outside temp)+(garage kept-every day driver) and even longer to get to the normal 180-190 degree range I am used to.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Jerryk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not a need

This day and age there is no need to let it warm up before driving, just use common sense. dont go and red line it 10sec after starting out in 30 degree temp.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:04 PM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

mmm I don't know about that. The way I treat my vette is I let it idle in the morning until the coolant temperature reaches 100 F about. When the coolant temperature reaches around 180 F the oil temperature should be at about 125 F. I keep it under 2000 RPM until the oil temperature is around 150 F. All of this is an effort to keep that oil pressure down (shoot for below 50psi until everything is warmed up) .... In this day and age you can still blow seals if you push your car too far when it's cold. Think about it, would you want someone pushing you out of bed and rushing you to work?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:37 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by servohead
mmm I don't know about that. The way I treat my vette is I let it idle in the morning until the coolant temperature reaches 100 F about. When the coolant temperature reaches around 180 F the oil temperature should be at about 125 F. I keep it under 2000 RPM until the oil temperature is around 150 F. All of this is an effort to keep that oil pressure down (shoot for below 50psi until everything is warmed up) .... In this day and age you can still blow seals if you push your car too far when it's cold. Think about it, would you want someone pushing you out of bed and rushing you to work?

I already have someone to push me out of bed. Her name is Abigail and she's 1.5 yrs old and full o' life in the am.

I usually just drive my car when I start her up in the cold, but I do drive carefully until she's up to normal temps.
Cold idling is discouraged by most manufacturers nowadays.
Scott
Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 PM
screw991le
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Some engine maker, like BMW suggest that you start and drive. My wife's 323 said that in the "driving suggestions section" of the owners manual. I asked the service/dealer and they also suggested this. Newer engines are designed to reach operation temp by driving. This is what they told me.

I was always told soon as the oil pressure comes up to normal it was ok to drive.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't really let it idle too too long when shes full cold, I just make it a point to keep the revs down until fully warmed up. That oil is thick when it's cold and I'm nervous about pushing it too hard.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Extended Warm-ups Can be Harmful

Originally Posted by Jerryk
This day and age there is no need to let it warm up before driving, just use common sense. dont go and red line it 10sec after starting out in 30 degree temp.
In Grandpa's day warm-ups were recommended by Mfgrs. No more. As stated above don't hot-dogg it until it's up to temp.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 AM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Location: Lost in the Pine Barrens with only ketchup and relish packs, New Jersey

Aside from the unavoidable accidents as evident by the awful picture, I do try to take care and baby the car. I rarely go over 4000 rpms and always try to keep it under 2000 when first starting out. I was cautious watching the excessive movement of the oil pressure when the car is cold as compared to when the car is warm. I think 100 degrees of coolant temp will be a sufficient warm up for me!
Thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 01:13 PM
pocorojo
Advanced

Is 50psi oil pressure the point where the oil filter bypass valve kicks in?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I always wait till at least 125 oil temp. Usually shoot for 150.

The coolant temp usually hits the t-stat opening temp when the oil temp is around 125ish.

Dope
Old 12-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Jackal
Drifting

Personally I let the car idle untill the oil is at 100 degrees, and then I keep it under 2k untill it reaches 160~180 degrees. Some may think it is crazy, but it is my car and I dont want to break anything. I also have a high lift cam (224/224 .581 @ 114).
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by simpleman68
I already have someone to push me out of bed. Her name is Abigail and she's 1.5 yrs old and full o' life in the am.

Scott
Too Funny!!!

They grow up fast...too fast . ............Enjoy!!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:37 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

[QUOTE I rarely go over 4000 rpms and always try to keep it under 2000 when first starting out. [/QUOTE]

I have 2000 also and it is a daily driver and I hit atleast 5500 rpms everyday several times. She has 55,000 miles and runs stronger everyday!!!!!

These engines were built to be driven and 6K rpms is not excess!!!

Old 12-06-2004, 10:43 PM
HalM
Racer

Most folks will not own their cars long enough to care but on the race car we bring the oil temp up to 160F before applying appreciable amounts of power...
Old 12-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't really let it idle too too long when shes full cold, I just make it a point to keep the revs down until fully warmed up. That oil is thick when it's cold and I'm nervous about pushing it too hard.
That is the way to do it. Get in the car start the engine, fasten your seat belt and drive off slowly. This gets the engine warm quicker than letting it sit, keeps the acid and water build up in the oil to a minimum, etc. Other than the seat belt bit this was the method used when I learned to drive and that was 46 years ago. Idling at any temp is hell on an engine unless you have an oil cooler without a thermostat. Then it may not be possible to get the oil temp up to operating temp without letting it idle first.
Bill
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by 99magredcoupe
Is it accurate to assume that oil temperature is the equivalent to Engine temperature or should you use coolant temp?
I'd go by engine oil temp. The coolant is used primarily to cool the cylinders and heads, oil is used to cool/lubricate the valvetrain and rotating parts. So, the oil temp will lag the coolant temperature.

Referring to what my Grandfather always told me to let the car warm up before I drove off. If so, what is considered a safe temperature to begin driving?
As has been mentioned above, you can begin driving as soon as everything has stabilized. Now, the controls may be so cold that your flesh sticks to it , but for gentle driving the car is ready to go as soon as the oil pressure stabilizes and the engine rpm comes down to a normal idle speed.

Especially with the cold weather season upon us, I made a point to watch the oil temp this morning and it took a while to get up to 99 degrees (30 degrees outside temp)+(garage kept-every day driver) and even longer to get to the normal 180-190 degree range I am used to.
Think about this: if you let your engine warm up by idling, how cold are the transmission and differential fluids? Driving gently until the engine temps come up to 150 or so, then everything will be warmed up for playtime!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 11:16 AM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Playtime!!! That's it! engine temp = 150 and it is playtime.That was a perfect way of putting it! I learned a lot from the answers, thanks to alll...

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Temp= Oil Temp?

Quick Reply: Engine Temp= Oil Temp?